D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By pyang004
#312405 D15 Turbo or D16Z6 Swap? HP vs $

Looking for a little more power, but wanna stay cheap. Looking between turbo charging the stock D15 in my 1995 DX sedan or doing a D16Z6 swap.

I can put together a full turbo kit for around $600. The only extra thing I would need to do is an oil change because of the oil return hose. Stock injectors and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pump has been replaced with a Walbro a few months ago troubleshooting starting issues. Would run between 5-7 psi. Don't want to go with larger injectors and fuel management. Too much money. I would rather go B-series in that case. With this setup, how many HP estimated? vs D16Z6 at 125HP?

If I go D16Z6, then it's just bolt-ons. From a shop the D16Z6 is around $700 and I would check/replace several maintainence parts. Even more so if I buy a engine from a private owner. If I do go this way, what would I need for a complete swap? Would it be like replacing the D15 for the same D15? Replace the harness with a D16Z6 or just wire up the v-tec? ECU will be a D16Z6. Just wanna make sure in case the D16Z6 is missing little parts, hoses, etc and that the intake and headers/exhaust bolt up.

Throw out some suggestions and insight...
By FG2_Andrew
#312407 is this a daily?
By JUICE
#312417 Both will end up costing you more than you wanna spend. There's ALWAYS extra $$$ with a turbo setup, and the z6 will be a turd if you don't get the shorter geared tranny too. Have you considered doing a mini-me setup?
By d-mon
#312456 swap in a z6 and turbo it.
By teal_dx
JUICE wrote:Both will end up costing you more than you wanna spend. There's ALWAYS extra $$$ with a turbo setup, and the z6 will be a turd if you don't get the shorter geared tranny too. Have you considered doing a mini-me setup?

I gotta agree with the above. All the misc turbo parts/fittings add up and you'll still be boosting on a high mileage D15b7. Not the best for a daily driver. If you already have the parts, a mini-me can be fun. But if you're going to spend a lot on the parts for a mini-me you might as well keep saving for the turbo setup.