D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By little-jdm
#309966 first post----------i got a 93 civic si with sohc zc vtec -- sometimes my car will start then dies i try to step on it but loses power and dies dont know what it is and need help !!!------------ fuel pump maybe :? ?? well how do i test that ???? :cry: also it used to once in awhile but it would start back up
now it does iut all the time and does start back up :cry: it also has a rough idle when am at a stop like if it wants to die :cry:
By poorman type-r
#309967 Your timing could be off. Check that.
By teal_dx
#309968 check engine light on? If so what's the code?

I'd start by checking all your grounds.
Installing a fuel pressure gauge is the best way to check fuel pressure. You can hear the pump whine under the back seat if it's working. When was the fuel filter last changed though? that could hurt if it's all clogged up.
By little-jdm
teal_dx wrote:check engine light on? If so what's the code?

I'd start by checking all your grounds.
Installing a fuel pressure gauge is the best way to check fuel pressure. You can hear the pump whine under the back seat if it's working. When was the fuel filter last changed though? that could hurt if it's all clogged up.

no check engine light -ground is good - i need to change fuel filter
By little-jdm
poorman type-r wrote:Your timing could be off. Check that.

am a noob so how do i check that
By suspendedHatch
#310014 It's not ignition timing. Cam timing would have to be way off ie timing belt ripping out teeth.

Most likely it's fuel. It can start up on vapors but if there isn't fuel being pumped continuously it will die. When the key is all the way on but not cranking, do you hear your fuel pump whir for 3 seconds? Do you hear the main relay click?

It wont cost you anything to open up the main relay and heat up the solder joints with a soldering iron. You can also check the fuel pump fuse.

Whatever you do, don't start replacing parts without first confirming that they're bad.
By little-jdm
suspendedHatch wrote:It's not ignition timing. Cam timing would have to be way off ie timing belt ripping out teeth.

Most likely it's fuel. It can start up on vapors but if there isn't fuel being pumped continuously it will die. When the key is all the way on but not cranking, do you hear your fuel pump whir for 3 seconds? Do you hear the main relay click?

It wont cost you anything to open up the main relay and heat up the solder joints with a soldering iron. You can also check the fuel pump fuse.

Whatever you do, don't start replacing parts without first confirming that they're bad.
sometimes i hear my fuel pump and sometime i dont
By d-mon
little-jdm wrote:-ground is good -

there are 3 grounds. the one on the thermostat housing is the most important.
+1 on the main relay
By little-jdm
#312805 it was my main realy for hr fuel pump :woot:
By d-mon
little-jdm wrote:it was my main realy for hr fuel pump :woot:

good job. :thumb: