D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By EG-T
#308426 Need some insight and input.

I have a d16y8 with 14b turbo setup. I drove the car about a month ago without issue. I parked it to put on my coil over system, HID retrofit, and powder coat my valve cover. Well after putting the valve cover back on (all new gaskets) to turn it around to align my HID's the car began to idle rough upon start. It will stutter until about 2.5k then level out. I have since replaced my plug wires with NGK and plug with bkre7's gapped to .30. I also changed my distributor and rotor to no avail. My next step is to vacuum test it.

Anyone have any insight? I am trying to get ready for a local car show and this just seems to be my luck.

thanks!
By EG-T
#308792 It was not the PCV valve. :x Frustration is setting in. Still have to leak test it. Still has a rough idle and smells of fuel out of the exhaust....
By Rotary_EG4dr
#308799 this is definatly an Vacuum concern.

by all rights and purposes "vacuum" ends at around 3k rpm. (can't figure out how else to write that?)

so now it happen more under load? does it get better free revving? does it get better while driving it?

Your smelling fuel out of the exhaust because our cars are Map Based rather than MAF based. so with a vac leak your car is assuming its under load as is applying more gas.

honestly i would look at the intake manifold, and the hoses that attach to it. if you wanted a quick way. spray carb/brake cleaner around lightly (to avoid a fire hazzard) and listen for the engine to either stumble, or rev up. once you've found the affected area you'll know where to concetrate your search.
By EG-T
#308860 I am rather embarrassed to admit this but two plug wires were wrong the whole time! I had 3 other people look at the setup who are far more knowledgable than I am and we all missed it. We went by the manual whoops. It wasn't until I was searching the forum (feeling dejected) that I noticed someones plug wires and distributor configuration and realized it was different.

You are right though, vacuum was the next logical step and I dreaded trying to hunt that leak down.

Oh well. I feel like an idiot but my car purrs like a kitten with a brand new tune-up.

Now to finish my HID retro fit and detail her for the car show.

Thank you for your help! I am usually a forum lurker but was at my wits end this time.

Rotary_EG4dr wrote:this is definatly an Vacuum concern.

by all rights and purposes "vacuum" ends at around 3k rpm. (can't figure out how else to write that?)

so now it happen more under load? does it get better free revving? does it get better while driving it?

Your smelling fuel out of the exhaust because our cars are Map Based rather than MAF based. so with a vac leak your car is assuming its under load as is applying more gas.

honestly i would look at the intake manifold, and the hoses that attach to it. if you wanted a quick way. spray carb/brake cleaner around lightly (to avoid a fire hazzard) and listen for the engine to either stumble, or rev up. once you've found the affected area you'll know where to concetrate your search.