D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By TattooedFish
#308203 I know without you guys being here its kinda hard to help me pinpoint the leak but. I have been trying to figure this out for 2 months now. If I wasn't saving up for my swap I would pull the engine out and just go back through everything but this is my daily, I didn't build the engine but it was built a few months before I got the car, but the guy took shortcuts when it came to gaskets.

I am getting oil mostly on the topside of my tranny and down the back of the engine. I thought initially valve cover gasket so I replaced that no change

Then I noticed the oil seemed to be coming mostly from around the area of the dizzy so I pulled it out and replaced that o ring.

I also see they used liquid gasket instead of oem gasket around the vtec solenoid. I am shooting with the possibility of something else that i don't know about.

About a month ago I was doing some spirited driving, had my hood off at the time and all of the sudden my oil cap shot off and made a pop noise as it went flying away got a new one and checked my pcv valve and replaced it since it was a cheap part.

Well today I noticed there was some oil on the header right where the dip stick is at. I also noticed some oil sitting around the gasket of the header but not like its coming through exhaust more on the outside but the gap in between the valve cover and header is free of oil.. The oil is also on the backside of the block.

I am very confused at this point ive tried washing the engine with degreaser about 3 times to get a general idea of where its coming from but im still stumped at this point
By brandoff88
#308220 i had some similar problems, and i never pin pointed it because my motor went before i got a chance to but it might be a possiblilty that your head and block are uneven in some spots as i suspected with mine, i wouldnt worry alot about it if your going to swap soon, just run it down into the ground once you get your swap..and try not to spend too much on it because you may never find out what wrong or you may...but if the guy took shortcuts i wouldnt doubt he didnt clean and mate the block and head properly, especialy if he used liquid gasket :thumbdown: another possiblity could be he reused the head bolts and they arnt sealing tight enough since they strech once tourqed...maybe order new headbolts and a gasket and see if that helps if you got the money of course but other than that if you plan on swapping within a couple monts dont sweat it, just make sure you keep your oil full and try to limit your spirited driving :thumb:
By FG2_Andrew
brandoff88 wrote:i had some similar problems, and i never pin pointed it because my motor went before i got a chance to but it might be a possiblilty that your head and block are uneven in some spots as i suspected with mine, i wouldnt worry alot about it if your going to swap soon, just run it down into the ground once you get your swap..and try not to spend too much on it because you may never find out what wrong or you may...but if the guy took shortcuts i wouldnt doubt he didnt clean and mate the block and head properly, especialy if he used liquid gasket :thumbdown: another possiblity could be he reused the head bolts and they arnt sealing tight enough since they strech once tourqed...maybe order new headbolts and a gasket and see if that helps if you got the money of course but other than that if you plan on swapping within a couple monts dont sweat it, just make sure you keep your oil full and try to limit your spirited driving :thumb:

if you have even a somewhat sought after motor, don't listen to him ^^ and run it into the ground. never understood the point of trashing a motor that MAY be fixable to someone just because it's of no use to you..

you're best bet is to:

1. buy headgasket
2. buy head studs
3. CLEAN BOTH SURFACES (head side down and block side up)
4. install
5. torque studs to specs. no too tight!
6. see if leak still occurs

if not, profit. if so, your surfaces are uneven and you'd need some machining.
By brandoff88
#308274 i didnt literly mean destroy the motor :roll: just have fun with it for what it is a leaky little sohc..do some spirited driving and just enjoy while you can, thats all. i never figured out what was wrong with mine but im still tearing into between working on my car and new motor to see if its fixable, unfortunaltly i found copper shavings in the oil pan the other day so i think rod/bearing problem caused my motor to somewhat seize and not want to crank so i may just replace some parts and either rebuild it for a boost motor and keep it for another car or sell it to someone who needs it ya know..
By TattooedFish
#308345 Well taking it easy on the engine runs pretty good. Wouldn't I be getting smoke out of the exhuast, and bogging, hesitation if i had a uneven head or bad head gasket?

Im doing a h22 swap and i still need pistons, and h2b adapter plate and quite a few other things for the block at this piont.

It will be a while (maybe first of next year) before I can afford to finish and tune the swap so I need this engine to last me.

I was thinking if nothing else I could sell when I got close to having everything for my swap, sell it for cash for engine performance parts for the h22.

I have been putting a little money in the engine here and there but I know when it comes time to sell the z6 the vultures and low ballers are going to have a field day with the precense of oil leaks.