D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By goodyearrr
#306894 Hello lads!

Been a while since I've posted anything, haven't had a computer for ages but now have an android phone so can be a regular on here!

Anyway, to the important stuff, I've come to the conclusion that its time to get myself a vtec My eg3 has done me great but now its time for change....

And I really fancy getting a del sol, I mainly wanted vti, love the b16, and secon choice a d16, however I've come across a great condition JDM D15b vtec.

At first I shrugged it off as I wanted one of the 1.6's , however I noticed the d15b has a similar Bhp...

So the question is basically anyone had a del sol vxi with the d15b vtec and wat are they like, are they as good, no good at all?

All input would be great, Modding details etc!

Cheers guys! :thumb:
By goodyearrr
#306941 Cheers for the reply dude, I did just have a look at that, it did give me some good info. What's the vtec actually like on the d15b? As crazy as the b16s and d16s? What's the 0-62 stock on one of them compared to the 1.6s?
By dbrooks
#306945 It's basically the same as d16z6. I think it has like 3 more hp too. Haha It's a good motor
By goodyearrr
#306949 Sounds good, is it worth getting one then? In the long run I would like to Turbo it, how does it handle a Turbo?
By dbrooks
#306950 If it's a good deal and it good condition, then yeah, I'd get it. As for boost, they'll do good. You should build it though :thumb:
By brandoff88
#306952 i rock the jdm d15b in my coupe and with fried rings and bad valve guides (i burned ALOT of oil) it still hauled ass and took a beating, and in my coupe i did a 3 rd gear pull from 30-120 and it kept pulin, just make sure you get and ex/si trans with it :thumb:
By goodyearrr
#306953 Well its had plenty of work, full respray in black, only got 60000 miles! It's just hard to get to! Haha, yeah mate I will be, that's for short term and boost for long term! :D
By goodyearrr
#306955 Haha I hope it don't have fried rings personally! :D but I get what your saying, what does the so transfer do differently then? Shorter ratios?
By goodyearrr
#307079 Oops auto speller on the phone lol, i mean ex* trans*
By brandoff88
#307112 yeah they have shorter ratios for better acceleration, and i sitll get like 45+ miles to the gallon with that setup, agian, in a coupe, but in a sol it should be just as good if not better :thumb:
By goodyearrr
#307613 It all sounds really good so far! I didn't have a chance getting to the one I was talking about but a couple more have popped up since so fingers crossed!

Question about the roof though, which is best to have manual or electric roof? They both have their perks but just wondering overall what's best to have.
By fatcoupe
#307617 as a sol owner i would HIGHLY suggest you to not get the d15b. i LOVE d-series and LOVE the jdm d15b vtec but honest to god truth is the del sols are heavy fat pigs..and you dont use your moms grocery getter to haul pigs to market...you use power..so i would wait out and get the b16 sol. or have a b or h swap on standby. iv had 2 with d-series and b20v the first one and shooting for b20 swap on current one.
By goodyearrr
fatcoupe wrote:as a sol owner i would HIGHLY suggest you to not get the d15b. i LOVE d-series and LOVE the jdm d15b vtec but honest to god truth is the del sols are heavy fat pigs..and you dont use your moms grocery getter to haul pigs to market...you use power..so i would wait out and get the b16 sol. or have a b or h swap on standby. iv had 2 with d-series and b20v the first one and shooting for b20 swap on current one.

Really? I thought sols were pretty light no? So with this in mind its probly better to get the manual roof as well?

Also I wouldn't mind waiting, but I don't have a car atm and I need to get to work at 6 in the morning usually so will need to be getting one as soon as!

What about the d16 then? If its not worth getting the d15 what about the d16?
By andyc
#308349 is the sol much heavier than an EG3 in that case? I really want a D15B for my hatch, they seem like awesome engines