D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By vtec95
#306613 well over the holiday weekend i traded my 95 coupe 5 spd for a 95 coupe auto with air and power steering. driving it around earlier today and heard a knock. its only at take off tho. like 1st and 2nd gear. idk if its a rod knockin or something else. i hope its not a rod. i dont have the money to replace it. has anybody heard a knock in theres? its a D16z6 by the way
By elrompetoto
#306634 Here's a real quick test 2 c if one of ur bearing r going out.
Take ur vtec silinode off there is all filter in it if ur bearings r going out u will find shavings of coper in there
By teal_dx
#306639 Does it only knock at a certain rpm? If so what RPM?
Does the oil look metallic at all? Does the knock get louder after the engine gets hot? (oil gets thinner when hot)

Probably either rod or main bearings. You'll have to drop the pan & pull off the main girdle & oil pickup to get a look at the bearings. Rod bearings are easier to replace than main bearings because you can do so with the motor in the car if you're good, working through the bottom end of the motor.
By vtec95
#306642 the only time ive heard it is at take off.. a slow take off. i havent payed attention at what rpm its at. im not good at much workin on a car.. i have a buddy thats good with hondas.
By vtec95
#306655 thats the other problem.. i cant just take apart the engine.. its my dd and i dont know much about taking apart a motor.
By vtec95
#306743 i drove the car today and watched the rpms. it ranges from 2500 up to 3000 rpm
By vtec95
#306851 buddy of mine told me it could be a lifter. would that sound the same as a rod knockin?
By Datsmart
#307061 If you only hear the knock when you drive, I would check your CV joints.
Might not be your motor at all.
By vtec95
#307065 no i hear it with the hood popped and revvin the motor under the hood
By Datsmart
#307712 Take an old vacuum cleaner hose, one end to your ear, the other end listening around your engine.
You should be able to tell if the knock is in the upper end of the engine or the bottom end. I have been able to pin point even the cylinder that way.
By Rotary_EG4dr
#307810 also one thing to think about it the Flex plate. since this one is automatice a cracked or broken flex plate can sound like a rod knock.
By vtec95
#307813 where is the flex plate located? i have found a motor for 200. i was told i would have to pull the motor out of the bottom of the car.. thats not true is it? it can be takin out of the top right?