D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By 92civicEGsedan
#306248 Yeah its the easiest thing I've worked on besides my 72 scout II but it has no computer crap to hassle with and the only thing that was a problem for me on my car was the tensioner fully was a pain to loosen up
By R_Salt
92civicEGsedan wrote:so as of last night i took my head off and took all the rocker arms out and the cam so i can take it next week to get it surfaced and pressure checked to make sure my head aint cracked but i have figured out one thing i like about this car, its easy as hell to work on. i did have a 95 isuzu rodeo and it took me 3 days just to replace the water pump on that dang thing and i hated it

Noob here with little experience so go easy on me. I recently went through this same problem. Is there oil in the overflow tank and air pressure? Could be head gasket. Go ahead and do the timing belt, water pump and thermostat at the same time. I couldn't believe how easy it was to do on these engines. Also, I found a deal on eBay for $195. New head with new valves and seals installed. It would cost around $100 to have the head milled anyway. Just a thought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110878431035?it ... _530wt_948
By 92civicEGsedan
#306260 oh it was the head gasket when i took the head off there was water on the piston closest to the belt and the valves was a rusted color and the spark plug had a greenish tent to it and you could see where the head gasket had blown through, but my timing belt looks brand new and i dont really have the money to buy a new water pump for it right now.
By R_Salt
#306281 Well if your timing belt looks new, chances are your water pump is new too.
By 92civicEGsedan
#306891 ok so i should get my head back tomorrow from the shop i had to take the rocker arms off and i need to know when i put them back on how much do i need to torque them? and in what order?
By Marks95Sedan
#307017 Just did a mini me swap! i drive it for about 40min at least 5 to 6 different times and then it starts to over heat and my overflow tank gets full and bubbles. The radiator is very low. all new gaskets but i did not get new head bolt could that be my problem cause thats like my 3rd time reusing them i know its dumb. Could it not make the new head gasket not seal right forcing air int to the coolant system??? any help thanks
By 92civicEGsedan
#307030 If its the stock head bolts then yeah you shouldn't have reused them cuz they are stretch bolts and are only good for one time
By Marks95Sedan
#307074 yes stock head bolt. Now time to get ARP headstuds but im broke! and hopefully i didnt worp my head from it geting hot to many times i just got that y8 head for my b7 block. :eh: mini me!!!
By 92civicEGsedan
#307083 yeah ARP isnt cheap and if you think the head is warped it would probably be a good idea to go get it surfaced i did mine and it should be about $60-80 for where i took mine
By Marks95Sedan
#307127 About how much should stock oem headbolts cost i might just get them for now. thanks for the info!!
By 92civicEGsedan
#307145 i got my stuff on ebay for $60 that came with the bolts and all my gaskets but for your mini me swap you cant use the bolts same bolts that you would get for your b7 head
http://www.civic-eg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10 that should have all the info you need for your mini me swap as of bolts and stuff