D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By brandoff88
#303999 how horrible would it be to run the same timing belt/water pump i got with my 30k mile swap if i just changed plugs/wires/fluids? i know its not the best idea but is it something i may be able to do given lack of funds?
By SkunkDcivic
#304001 I dont get what your saying do you have two motors?
By Punksz6
#304014 Like Teal_dx said if you know that they were replaced with new ones you should be good for another 50-60k... You can also just check the belt for any signs of ware.
By familyEGuy23
#304037 You're saying you plan on just throwing in the motor you got from an importer without changing the belt or water pump right? I'd check like stated above for signs of wear
By brandoff88
#304052 haha well of course i will check for wear, and i do have two d15b motors but one is bad and the new one is getting ready to be dropped in, i dont know the history of the old motor (supposedly 90k when i got it, but from the looks of the whole car i HIGHLY doubt that) but i really dont think theres more than 40k on the new one max..i did some poking around when i first got it and everything checks out, i mean im going to replace plugs, wires, and fluids but i havent checked the timing belt yet, and i highly doubt the water pump is bad...but im so strapped for cash its not even funny...i know theres a risk that i could jump timing and mangle my valves and possibly head but i dont know...i just dont want to fuck it all up after spending so much money already on it ya know...but at the same time i dont want to waste money i dont have on things that dont need to be replaced....arrg i just wish people would take care of cars, so i dont have to drop assloads of money fixing THEIR mistakes.... :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
By rustyrex
#304064 I've got somewhere around 160-170k on my timing belt. I would recommend going that far but 30k you should be fine if that's all it really has
By jefferydclark
#304065 If the belt is in good shape the worst that will happen is you car will start to overheat. If it does, well i guess you will have a hard parker until you can afford a new water pump...i had one car with a bad water pump and it had atleast 100k miles(if it was replaced at the 100k mile checkup at the dealer. Otherwise it had 200k when it failed.
By brandoff88
#304074 oh wow so from the sounds of it as long as it doesnt overheat, and the timing belt looks good, i can run em. for a few months a max is all im talkin about then i can at least save up for new ones.
By brandoff88
#304210 for sheez defitly gotta support our sponsers! so as of now its ready to go in minus plugs and wires...maybe dizzy havent really looked at it yet..BUT bay work it needed before that so...poo....also i have to get the bitch pin off the shift linkage on the swap..apparently they just cut when they drop em :roll: