D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By austenjanzen
#303375 hey guys, im lookin at building an engine for my up and coming project, i need some opinions as the other group im on despioses d-series

so i kinda want something with power but not tons, i want something to have fun in and be reliable, so should i build like a d16z6 or should i just suck it up and B16a1 or a2 and drop it in?

just please leave your feedback both good and bad, i wanna hear peoples opinions also this will be going into a crx hopefully

thanks guy
By dawg316
#303381 keep it a D !!!

whats your plans. NA or boost?

any 1/4 mile goals or just street driven DD car ?
By chrono404
#303493 If your planning on boost i agree with the above and staying with a D Series. Their parts are alot cheaper then B parts.

Boosted D16's can be alot of fun. You will need to put in forged rods and arp rodbolts if you want to go over 200hp, which you probally will after a short while.

B16's can take a good deal of abuse, However are very gutless. A D16z6 with I/H/E will beat a stock b16.

If you plan on doing a Swap, I would recommend a B18b. A good soild engine thats not that expensive. A even better option would be a f22 or f23 out of an accord. They can take a good deal of power, especially if you swap in forged rods. The f22 nonvtec head is the best flowing honda has ever made, Better then the heads on the NSX, any K20 Head, s2k engine, any H head anything honda has made doesn't flow as good as this head. With a bigger cam and boost you will be surprised how responsive this once grocery getter/soccer delivery engine can become.

Another cool thing on the F engines is if you get a vtec engine you can put a H23 non-vtec dohc head, or a h22 dohc vtec head or a f20b dohc vtec head on it as well. they dont flow as well as the non-vtec head put gives you alot of options for n/a power if you dont want to do boost.

The Big downside to F's and H's are the transmissions. the gear is really tall and they are not as strong as D or B tranny's. Also tie in that they are cable shifters and dont feal as good as a rod shifter like the D and B trannys. You can fix this if you go with a H2D or H2B conversion kit however they cost a pretty penny. Also if you have a Delsol you have to cut you hood to make it fit.

Anouther reminder, horsepower is easy, traction is not. If your planning on power over 200hp invest in an LSD, we have a DIY on putting them into D series transmissions. B's are similar and has the diy article on d trannys has a link to a video on B's.

Good luck.