D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By rak511
#303018 Found a d16z6 for sale for 425 with ecu and wiring harness... ik it will drop right into my car... is that worth 425? It has 160000 miles... and also wuld the transmission off my d16y7 bolt right up to it?
By familyEGuy23
#303020 Sound like a good deal if it comes with everything. I'm in California price for P28 ECU goes for $60-$120 OBD1 vtec wire harness from $60-$130.
i'd get it but check it first
Your 5speed transmission should bolt up to the D16z6 :thumb:
By FG2_Andrew
#303030 Regardless of what people say, asking a price like that for an original d series seems kinda high. Unless there are papers..

Bought my d15b for $200. Chipped P28 for $100.

You just never know what you're buying. Make sure you can leak down test at least.
By rak511
#303035 Alrite... I'm gonna c if the guy will go down any on the price... but I Thor it seemed like a decent price... also some may also be buying my d16y7 now so I'll c wat hell give me for it
By familyEGuy23
EH2_andy wrote:Regardless of what people say, asking a price like that for an original d series seems kinda high. Unless there are papers..

You just never know what you're buying. Make sure you can leak down test at least.

:shock:
wow $200?! That's incredibly cheap prices are going up for d series over here in Cali an imported jdm d15b obd1 vtec go for $750+
That's it I'm moving out of California! Guess it just depends where your from and asking price around the area. Definitely would be good to do a leak down test .
By FG2_Andrew
familyEGuy23 wrote:
EH2_andy wrote:Regardless of what people say, asking a price like that for an original d series seems kinda high. Unless there are papers..

:shock:
wow $200?! That's incredibly cheap prices are going up for d series over here in Cali an imported jdm d15b obd1 vtec go for $750+
That's it I'm moving out of California! Guess it just depends where your from and asking price around the area. Definitely would be good to do a leak down test .

Zerolift has d15b's for like $750 shipped, iirc.
By Chambers
#303065 I paid $600 for my D16Z6 w/ 5spd trans, it had came with everything except transmission mounts and the exhaust manifold. Two of the belhousing bolts holes on the block were stripped, I was able to save most of the treads with a tap, but it was a pita I had to deal with. When I had it at the machine shop it turned out that one of the rod bearings was getting bad, the machineist said it was good I was doing a rebuild.

So the moral of the story is, check it over... twice. Ask to pull the valve cover, look at the oil, is it gunky? Is it milky? Then check the timing belt, is it cracked/old? Take a wrench for the crank, turn it over a few times, see what it feels like. In my opinion a good engine (even if it need a few things) with ECU and harness is worth what they are asking.
By brandoff88
#303092 i would say probably about 300-350 especiallly with 160k on it, because you KNOW that your going to need, timing belt, water punp, plugs, wires, rotor and cap, oil, tranny fluid, filters, numerous other seals and gaskets..so...thats what i would do, just to make sure you can get the needed replacement parts without going broke :thumb:
By rak511
#303115 Alrite... so if he wont drop below 425 ditch it?
By suspendedHatch
#303116 Why go through the trouble of converting to OBD1?
By FG2_Andrew
rak511 wrote:Alrite... so if he wont drop below 425 ditch it?

i would. he probably won't drop much lower.. due to the infamous ricer tax kids have on their Honda parts now-a-days.

also, converting to OBD1 would be a hassle when you can get an OBD2 motor for about the same price and it will just drop in.
By brandoff88
rak511 wrote:Alrite... so if he wont drop below 425 ditch it?

like we said, even if its in decent condtion your still going to have to do routine maintenece on it, probably a couple hundred bucks worth if not more(you might find somehtings cracked or broken, sensor might be bad..you just never know with these ricer kids these, days and about that rice tax, its sooo bad in washington, i got people trying to sell STOCK 95 sedans with a intake and fartcannon that are all dented up mis-matched paint, shitty motors and slavaged titles, that have over 200k on em for like 4 grand, not te mention they say oh it burns a little oil, trust me i fell for it once, when i got my civic im rebuilding now, only plus is it already had a JDM d15b (shitty as it was) with the chipped p28 with launch control and H&R springs so i got a decent deal for 2500, he said 3250 and i looked at the car and drove it, looked uder the hood and saw fresh oil everywhere and said 2500 or im walking, and he said ok...shoulda walked and bought the turboed crx :cry: fast forward 9 months, i burn through a crankcase of oil in 3 days and then it blows...(oh did i mention, i shut my trunk and the spoiler fell off(stock ex spoiler on a dx :thumbdown: ))
By alexwiththeeg3
#333393 Sorry to thread hack but I just got hold of a d16z6 for £250 with 154k on it, the body work on the car is very very rough though