D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By rak511
#300503 Alrite... I have a d16y7 engine in my car now and I was looking into getting a d16z6 to put in... I plan on building it eventually... but is it worth it or should I just build the y7... also wat duos I need for the swap besides the engine
By EJ1_MK
#300507 What chassis are you putting motor into? and yes the Z6 is a good motor to build, plenty of people make around 160+ to the wheels more with turbo setups.
By rak511
#300510 A 93 hatch will this just drop right in?
By EJ1_MK
#300511 Which model hatch? and yes depending on your model, you will need the wiring harness from the z6 and then all you should have to do is wire up the vtec to the ecu. other than that depending on engine side motor mount that is about all you should really need. everything else is the same
By SkunkDcivic
#300512 It will drop right in and you'll have to wire it for.vtec if you don't have the harness from the d16z6
By rak511
#300516 Its an si... so the z6 was the original motor... so all the motor mounts should be good im guessing... unless wen the previous owner swapped the y7 into it they changed the mount
By EJ1_MK
#300519 Oh well shit you won't have to do anything besides swap it in then. Should be good to go just make sure your engine bracket for the motor mount matches the mount and your set. other than that you will want to find a P28 if its not still in the car so that everything works properly.
By rak511
#300523 Nope... i have a p06 in it now... so ill need a p28 and the wiring harness... and im set right?
By EJ1_MK
#300524 Should be yeah, you won't need to do anything to the chassis harness it should just be plug and play, have you checked the harness on the motor currently to see if the vtec plug is not just dangling there. if it is that might be your factory z6 harness on that y7
By rak511
#300538 So ur saying that i might not even need a different wiring harness?! sweet... now the question is, is it worth it and is it possible at my house in my garage with just simple tools and an engine lift?
By EJ1_MK
#300539 yes you can do it with simple tools and a host and yes if that is your factory engine harness.
By rak511
#300548 Alrite... sweet... thanks