D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By brandoff88
#299959 i have supposedly a jdm d15b vetc (solenoid/cam/all that jazz) and block says d15b (i think or its d15) cant remember... came with car and guy said it was a swap....no biggie, no vtec valve cover or nothing...but everything seems to be koshir....now i got a new jdm d15b vtec(well 25 k on it from japan) but they look different :? :? my new motor has vtec valve cover(i think its asthetic in this case) and all the same stuff...but i got to looking at some differences between the jdm d15b and d16z6 and i think i got a d16z6 (reason being i think i got a z6 intake (i looked up pictures of both and i got the z6)) now the company sent me the motor listed as jdm d15b vtec and i just want to make sure im not getting jipped or mislead, plan on building the crap out of it so i need to be sure, the trasmissions for both are identical (ex/si tranny) this kinda makes me think again that i have a z6 and not true jdm d15b...also the car is running a chipped p28 ecu, will that work for either motor? and i have been consistenly getting 50 plus miles per gallon average (yes over 500 miles to a tank on regular :woot: )with a dirty airfilter and short ram that came with it, pretty much stock..also old motor burned oil like crazy(smoked when i romped on it :( ) does that help with any ideas of whats in it now, and what i bought? all the wiring fits up perfectly and so do all the brackets and mounts, but again im lost as to what i truly have and just bought :x ...any help would be greatly appreciated!! :thumb:
By brandoff88
#299960 edit: i meant to say all the wiring and brakets and whatnot for both motors are matching up perfectly so either im retarded or got mislead twice :x just need to clear that up so i can continue building
By EJ1_MK
#299961 Can you post pictures of what you have and what not it might help to figure out what is what.
By Aldo91
#299962 If you have it with you check the block, but in this case pictures would help alot.
By EJ1_MK
#299964 There is a thread on how to but you will need to copy link location from facebook or a photo host site like photobucket, flicker, etc. then you just click the IMG button before you paste the link and the IMG after you copy the link in test it out hit the preview and see if it works then submit.
By brandoff88
#299968 i have been trying to reference head codes with blocks and and i keep coming up with d16z6 from a 94 si or 93 ex......wierd right???? i wanna know if i got a jdm d15b or not :x
By brandoff88
#299993 oh thank god hahaha, now that thats cleared up i can continue building and working on things thanks teal (ps read alot of your diy write ups, must say gave me alot of inspiration and help thanks alot!)

EDIT: also could the head on the old one been a swap because i looked at the old head and its stamp was P-08 1 9|2 not like the new one (possibly why the valve cover didnt say vtec)

EDIT: just realzed the 9|2 is the year it was casted...but still dont explain why old one is P-08 1 and new one is P-08 3....according to all the head code lists ive seen the P-08 1 head IS from a JDM d15b vtec...but its saying as before that the P-08 3 is from either a 94 SI or 93 EX both of which are listed under d16z6 motors...im still alittle confused...i just want to know so i know what cam and gear im running, i know the jdm jd15b has more aggressive cam so yeah...ps sorry for all the noob questions :lol: :P
By teal_dx
#300001 A D16z6 head on a D15b block will put the timing 1/2 tooth off. That would require an adjustable cam gear to compensate.

I am pretty sure that the head stamps are the same for Z6 and D15B heads, both being P08. The differences in these heads are the cams.

Also a P08 is the ecu for the JDM D15B. You could chip a P28 and get a P08 basemap, then get that fine tuned and you'll be good, especially after a few modifications :thumb:

The valve covers are interchangeable between the vtec D15B, D15z1 vtec-e, D16z6 vtec, D16y5 vtec-e, D16y7 non-vtec and D16y8 vtec. Even the 2001-05 1.7L D series valve covers will interchange on the earlier vtec (and D16y7) heads.
So I wouldn't go by what valve cover it has on the head. :thumb:
By Wicked
#300004 If I member correctly there's 3 types of D15B's. Thats prolly why you were all confused.
Non Vtec
1 Stage Vtec
3 Stage Vtec
By brandoff88
#300007 i see and yes i have the chipped p28 with p08 maps, but the head casting it self has a scondary number of p08 *1* on the old one matches code list for d15b jdm but new motor has p08 *3* codes says 94 SI/93 EX under d16z6 listings...so is it a d15b head or z6 head? i know vlalve covers are mostly asthetic not really what i was wondering but thats helpful info thanks guys any other help to know for sure would be nice, i dont want to stick a d15b cam in and turn out to be a z6 head ya know..