D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By newyorkhatch
#299806 I've searched this website along with google with the answer to my problem. I have a d15b7 bottom end, d16z6 top end that was put together when I got the car. The car jumps rpms (1500 up to 2000 then drop down to 1500 and repeat over and over) like the IACV is bad but I have taken that out and cleaned it with no fix to my problem. The only time the car does not do it is when the it is at normal temp and the clutch it pushed in. If the clutch is released it will jump weather its warm or cold. Anyone help me?
By TrailerTrash
#299819 cleaning your IACV isnt a sure fix its just a bandaid.

never heard of the clutch pedal affecting idle like that :eh:

any more details?

you could check for a vaccum leak with carb cleaner/starter fluid. spray it all over everything rubber when the car is running and listen for the engine to surge.

my buddy had a very similar problem turned out to be a bad throttle body gasket
Last edited by TrailerTrash on Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By blk92hb
#299824 When the clutch is pushed in you are some what putting a load on the motor. What it sounds like is a vac leak, or bad timing.
By newyorkhatch
TrailerTrash wrote:cleaning your IACV isnt a sure fix its just a bandaid.

never heard of the clutch pedal affecting idle like that :eh:

any more details?

you could check for a vaccum leak with carb cleaner/starter fluid. spray it all over everything rubber when the car is running and listen for the engine to surge.

my buddy had a very similar problem turned out to be a bad throttle body gasket

Yeah everyone I ask is dumb founded about the clutch making rpms drop. Maybe I will try this throttle body gasket because I have cleaned the iacv and replaced damn near every vacumm line.
By newyorkhatch
blk92hb wrote:When the clutch is pushed in you are some what putting a load on the motor. What it sounds like is a vac leak, or bad timing.

Bad timing could be it. But if that was the problem wouldn't it happen at all times? It only happens when the clutch isn't in, and recently when it has been warm outside (above 60s) it doesnt seem to happen at all. Thanks again for the help
By blk92hb
#299842 Try a higher octane. It sounds weird but I worked for me, my idle would bounce from 900-1500 rpms On 87 octane but when i run 89 it worked perfect. I would give that a try. The worse that can happen is you paied a little more for gas.
By newyorkhatch
blk92hb wrote:Try a higher octane. It sounds weird but I worked for me, my idle would bounce from 900-1500 rpms On 87 octane but when i run 89 it worked perfect. I would give that a try. The worse that can happen is you paied a little more for gas.

I only run 93 in it since the day I got it. Maybe I will have to try another IACV as trailortrash said it is just a bandaid cleaning it, come to think of it cleaning it has never worked for me in my old sedan either so I will try that before anything else.