D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Whodini187
#299262 Hey guys, I have a 92 si with the z6 still and when I hit Vtec it starts smoking blue smoke. It smokes just a hair when I start it but when it warms up it stops. It doesn't smoke any other time than 5,400 and on. I was wondering if anyone has had this happen or has any ideals? I know it could be the valve stem seals but I would think it would do it all the time. Any Ideals or advice would be awesome. Thanks in advance guys.
By teal_dx
#299272 When the engine warms up, metal parts expand ever so slightly, reducing the tolerances where oil can squeeze by. That's my best guess. And it's not unusual for a high mileage motor to burn a little oil at high RPM.
By elrompetoto
#299275 It's normal 4 most motors 2 smoke a lil when u rev them high every v motor I have own has smoked a lil at high rpms as for the car burning oil when u start it can be humidity in the exhaust pipe I won't worry 2 much of it. But just 2 be safe do a wet and dry comp test on the z6
By TrailerTrash
#299278 D series aint supposed to smoke? :?
By Whodini187
#299314 Well it makes me feel better that it's not just me and thanks for the interest and advice guys. I understood about the engine being cold and smoking a lil' I just didn't own a vtec honda till this point so I didn't know. I let the car sit for five years, I would start it up and drive it around a lil to keep things fluid but I finally just finished the bodywork and got it on the road. I think the oil ring is a lil warped and I'm gonna guess it's the valve stems. I'm just trying to get this engine to last for a few more months. I found three K24's not a2's though but still two for 1000 each and one for 750 so I'm working a deal with guy and then it's time to properly represent Honda. Thanks again guys, my baby had me nervous, I thought I might have to do some emergency surgery, lol.
By EJ1_MK
#299398 Piece of knowledge, For Honda USA, It is within specs for a VTEC engine to burn oil. A D series is with in specs to burn a quart of oil in 900 miles.

I was once told this when I bought my 98 ex coupe off the honda deal lot and it locked up 6000 mile after I got it. Kind of BS if you ask me.

If you have high mileage then I would step up to a high mileage oil and see if that helps. if it doesn't your valve guides could be worn out which is normal with older engines, you will just have to keep an eye on how much oil it uses. The only fix to that is to pull the head and have a machine shop put new ones in which at that point you might as well build the head or get a new motor.
By SkunkDcivic
#299413 correct me if im wrong but if you hit vtec doesnt it burn a little oil
By EJ1_MK
SkunkDcivic wrote:correct me if im wrong but if you hit vtec doesnt it burn a little oil

It will use a tiny amount but you shouldn't see it come out of the exhaust ever. If your seeing it come out the you have ring issues or valve guide issuesa compression check should show it or a leak down would definetly show where the issue is coming from.
By Whodini187
#299936 I wasn't even thinking about that, thanks guys. I'ma try and get a leak down done this weekend. I've been staying outta Vtec as much as a "spirited" driver like myself can, lol. Thanks again guys, appreciate all the responses and advice. That 1000 miles = quart has been pretty acurate which I don't care what anyone says that is excessive. Like I said I'm just trying to keep her alive for atleast this year till winter. Then it's K series Time, oh yeah, lol. Honda Power!!!
By Whodini187
#300181 Just got back to my hotel and my check engine light came on when I entered vtec earlier teaching a new focus a thing or two. I figured it was the vtec solenoid saying it didn't have enough oil. Just to be safe, I looked under the car just to see if I saw anything dripping and my header has oil on it. I knew I couldn't be burning that much oil, I've stayed outta vtec till today. This weekend I'ma jack her up and find out what's going on.
By Whodini187
#300694 Well I jacked her up this weekend & thought the oil pan was leaking. Knock on wood it wasn't. I changed the oil (found out their was only bout a quart & a half in it, none in the filter) and since then it quit leaking and smoking in vtec. Which I don't still understand how just changing the oil did that but I'm not complaining one bit, lol. Plus ran into a guy I know but never really see or talk to and he gave mea Neuspeed front strut tower brace, I was/am pumped. So great weekend for this Honda Guy.
By Whodini187
#300709 Love the videos' and I agree but what about the leak stoppin?