D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By BraBraBryann
#296192 Sooo. Yeaa. I got a d16y7 I just wanted to know what I can do to get the most power out of it without going turbo route. Im kinda new to the game.
Also i know about the minime swap. But im on a tight budget. Im looking for bolt-ons. Mind helping me out?
By EG Love
#296237 I wouldn't buy bolt ons for the Y7, I'd wait until you got at least a vtec sohc, I don't think you'll be able to get much power out of a naturally aspirated Y7, but that's my 2 cents.. a y8 head with bolt ons would move you better
By rak511
#298478 I also have a d16y7 but i have a y8 intake manifold... possibly gonna put a vtec head on like the z6 but you would still need a p28 ecu for the vtec to work... any1 correct me if im wrong
By teal_dx
rak511 wrote:I also have a d16y7 but i have a y8 intake manifold... possibly gonna put a vtec head on like the z6 but you would still need a p28 ecu for the vtec to work... any1 correct me if im wrong

That's right :thumb:

Unfortunately there's not much you can do for a D16y7 to get your money's worth. Bolt-ons won't get you far. You can do a mini-me swap which will get you an extra ~25 HP. But watch how much you invest because you might end up being half way toward a cheap home made turbo setup.

There's always nitrous, which is always your best bang for the buck, if you want to go that route.

Personally, I'd ride it out while saving for a different motor.
By rak511
#298546 Well the mini me isn't that wonderful unless u do vtec mini me... my friends got a d16 mini me (not sure wat he mated) but my d16y7 is just as fast with just a stage 2 clutch, headers, exhaust and intake... but depending on how much money ur willing to put in I'd rather do a swap... or if the engines got low miles hold on a lil and work on appearance... my d16 only has 50000 miles so imma get some nice rims or something in the mean time
By teal_dx
#298570 Any mini me swap should use a vtec head. Otherwise there's. It much of a point. A y8 head on a obd1 block will also bump up compression ratio due to the y8's smaller combustion chambers.