D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By m73
#295648 Hey, so im leaking oil under my distributor. I went for a 5 second drive before and after cleaning the trans. and there was fresh oil leaked. I took the dist. off and inside there is no traces of oil.

What could be causing this? Bad cam seal is my first guess but I'm a novice still

The yellow circle is where the fresh oil was leaking.

By teal_dx
civic eg-k wrote:have you tried replacing the O-ring that goes to the destributor?

That's gotta be it - common & easy fix. Be sure to mark the location of the dizzy before you take it off so you won't have to re-set the timing. :thumb:
By m73
#295718 Ok the ring did have a few gaps around it like it shrank over time.

I just turned the rotor until it went back in and lined up where the clean spots on my dist. were for the bolts. Could this have messed up the timing?
By civic eg-k
#295962 i think as long as you put it in the correct spot you should be ok try it out. the most that could happen is that the idle could be off adjust the distributor until you have proper idle.
By teal_dx
m73 wrote:Ok the ring did have a few gaps around it like it shrank over time.

I just turned the rotor until it went back in and lined up where the clean spots on my dist. were for the bolts. Could this have messed up the timing?

No you should be OK, the key that goes into the cam is slightly offset to one side so it only will go in the correct way to prevent timing from being off 180°.