D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By kc12305
#292248 ok so my friend has a honda hatch back and he wanted my sedan but i was wondering if its possible to swap are motors but the thing is those hatch backs has diff motor mounts and there in the same place as mine is there a way to swap them out ? or no cause its a 99?
By kc12305
#292254 what do you exactly mean dont swap mounts ? im sorry im still getting the hang of motor swaps
By teal_dx
#292281 Keep the mounts with the car they belong to and just swap motors.
You know you'll have a long list of other issues with this swap though right?
putting OBD1 motor into OBD2b car and OBD2b motor into OBD1 car = totally different wiring, sensors, injectors... I would do a lot of researching before attempting because I don't think it is worth it for stock D series motors.
By kc12305
#292375 well running a odb1 ecu in a 99 wount work ?
By kapow
#292714 All the plugs will be different, like alternator, injectors etc

What 2 engines are they anyway?
By teal_dx
#292747 First, if MI has emissions check then don't bother. In OH, an OBD1 motor won't pass emissions in an OBD2 car because OBD2 has some extra sensors that won't have anywhere to plug into on the OBD1 motor, causing a check engine light.
The OBD2 car could use an OBD1 ecu with an OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness, but then the diagnostic port that they use to scan for codes will not work if an OBD2 car is running an OBD1 ecu.

Putting the OBD2 motor into the OBD1 car is a much easier story. Keep all the original OBD1 wiring, including engine harness. There will be some extra sensors on the OBD2 motor that won't be used. Then you can use a chipped OBD1 ecu and put a basemap on it for the OBD2 motor that you swapped in.

You'll still need to get a conversion harness for the alternator & distributor plugs, although a D15b7 distributor will fit some OBD2 sohc heads, so that is a second option. You could also keep the OBD1 alternator and use that instead of changing out the plug of using a conversion harness.

And you will need to cut your injector clips off the OBD2 harness and solder them , replacing the OBD1 clips, so that the engine harness will plug into the OBD2 injectors. OR if the injectors are the same size on both motors, just keep the OBD1 injectors and put them on your OBD2 motor and that way they will plug right in to the OBD1 harness. I would do that if possible.
Knock sensor, crankcase fluctuation sensor on the motor will both be ignored, as those are only read by OBD2 ecu's. :thumb:
By kc12305
#292776 ok all great info but what im exactly doing is taking my wire harness and the motor and ecu and just putting in the the 99 hatch then the obd2 stuff in tot he 94 eg sedan so im not mix mathing any parts
By teal_dx
#292782 If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it :thumb: Unfortunately it is not. You can't just put your OBD1 harness, ecu and motor into an OBD2 civic.
And you can't take the Engine, ECU and wiring harness from an OBD2 civic and put it into your OBD1 civic.

The cabin harness (part that goes from the ecu to the engine bay) will then be different. Also if you look at where the harness comes into the bay on OBD1 and OBD2 civics, I believe that one side is different on OBD2 (driver's side I think).

It is just not worth the effort. Take our word for it or give a try and keep us updated.
By kc12305
#292791 ok then how would i do a v tec swap then onto the 99 civic
By teal_dx
#292832 Assuming the 99 civic has a D16y7 motor, you will buy a y8 head from a 99-00 EX and the ecu from a 99-00 EX. Then run the 2 wires to the ecu for vtec solenoid and oil pressure sensor and 1 ground wire from oil pressure sensor.
Don't forget to remove the oil control jet from the mating surface of the block between #2 and #3 cyls before putting the y8 head on.
By kc12305
#292833 ok with the d16y7 do you have to wire a rely box in it so the injectors will work cause im running DSM450
By kc12305
#292843 hey teal is it the same way as your thread and yes i will make a thread of it