D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Prodegsivic
#289947 I was finally ready to start my z6 swap in my hatch for the first time and after a few times turning the engine over the starter stopped working. (right before it would have fired) My friend who was under the hood said he heard what sounded like a spark or a blown fuse in the area of the starter. we checked fuses under the hood to find them all good. I pulled the starter and had it tested, it was fine. Now, I'm a little lost and need any input you guys may have, that I can try tomorrow.
By Prodegsivic
#289952 I'm going to start with replacing relays...but kinda doubt that's it.
By Apexracing
Prodegsivic wrote:I'm going to start with replacing relays...but kinda doubt that's it.

Sounds like your starter is shorting out or grounding out. the housing of the starter is ground so make sure the positive lead is well insulated to the point where its only contacting the + post and not the housing. Also make sure all of your grounds in the engine bay are good and solid. more than likely your friend heard an electrical arc and not a fuse blow.
By TrailerTrash
Apexracing wrote:
Prodegsivic wrote:I'm going to start with replacing relays...but kinda doubt that's it.

Sounds like your starter is shorting out or grounding out. the housing of the starter is ground so make sure the positive lead is well insulated to the point where its only contacting the + post and not the housing. Also make sure all of your grounds in the engine bay are good and solid. more than likely your friend heard an electrical arc and not a fuse blow.

this.

when I swapped my tranny last summer I experienced the same problem. it was a ground that wasnt tight enough it was arcing and the car wouldnt start
By Prodegsivic
#290009 Well, I am very happy to read this, the lower bolt on the starter WAS loose when I took it off. this is most likely the deal. can the arching do any harm? After having the starter tested I took it home and cleaned it and gave it a custom paint job, like everything I put on or take off my car It looks better than when the factory sent it out. I guess it was time for the starter to get the treatment. just in case I did keep the paint from covering the area it bolts up at. (good thing) Thanks guys, very much:thumb:
By Apexracing
#290013 No real harm done. just check the ground wire and terminal for any damage.
By Prodegsivic
#290960 My z6 started right up. thanks for the help!
:thumb: