D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Aldo91
#279879 Hey guys so my cousin's d16z6 is cutting off at 6,500 rpm, and we have no clue what could be wrong with it :? . we tried the map sensor and we need to replace the o2 censor on the exhaust manifold, could this be why it wont rev past 6,500?

oh and he does have the right ECU its a p28.

Thanks in advance guys.
By Eg6H2D
Aldo91 wrote:Hey guys so my cousin's d16z6 is cutting off at 6,500 rpm, and we have no clue what could be wrong with it :? . we tried the map sensor and we need to replace the o2 censor on the exhaust manifold, could this be why it wont rev past 6,500?

oh and he does have the right ECU its a p28.

Thanks in advance guys.

Possibly.. you also might want to check the speed sensor as well. Might need replacement.. Mines did that a while back i replaced the sped sensor and the porblem was gone.
By Aldo91
#279908 i will try that this weekend, thank you very much :thumb:

any other ideas? hopefully it is the speed sensor.
By Aldo91
#279940 also where is the speed sensor located? and will a d15b2 speed sensor fit a d16z6?
By Eg6H2D
Aldo91 wrote:also where is the speed sensor located? and will a d15b2 speed sensor fit a d16z6?

Yea just where it's pictured above.. it's better to take out the entire VSS as one unit just to better replace the unit.. it's just one 10mm long bolt holding it. upon reinstall of the VSS. make sure not to over tighten that 10mm long bolt as if will possilbly crack the bracket it goes through.. Happened to me.. lol.

By Aldo91
#280030 alrighty, well now i just need time to do it haha.

EG6b20R: when your speed sensor went out was the speedometer acting up or just shaking every once in a while?
my kusins speedometer only shakes a little but its not going up and down like crazy.
By EJ1_MK
#280033 Test your map sensor, seem to be what caused mine to do the same thing as well as a friends 95 ex as well, He replaced everything until he checked the map and it was still working just not properly. replaced and it revs all the back to red line now. As does mine.
By Aldo91
#280035 well the map sensor was replaced already maybe the wires, have a short. :?
By EJ1_MK
#280036 In reality any engine sensor could hold it back from hitting red line. I would test all sensors just to be on the safe side. ECU will back down if does not see the correct readings from a particular sensor. The speed sensor could be it as well. These are harder to diagnose with no check engine light and if the sensor is still reading within a particular range then the car still function normal besides that one issue.
By Aldo91
#280039 well we know the O2 censor needs to be replaced and the exhausted manifold needs to be replaced because it has a crack.
By Eg6H2D
Aldo91 wrote:alrighty, well now i just need time to do it haha.

EG6b20R: when your speed sensor went out was the speedometer acting up or just shaking every once in a while?
my kusins speedometer only shakes a little but its not going up and down like crazy.

My speedo when i turned on the car would jump to like 20 while cranking and then go back down and the speed was always off by like 8mph..
By Eg6H2D
EJ1_MK wrote:Test your map sensor, seem to be what caused mine to do the same thing as well as a friends 95 ex as well, He replaced everything until he checked the map and it was still working just not properly. replaced and it revs all the back to red line now. As does mine.

That's also another another reason..
By Aldo91
#280209 i cant thank you guys enough all i need to do now is find some time to do the work on the car. this forum keeps my car running
By d-mon
#280576 this happen to me a couple years ago, replace your cluster (your tach is incorrect).