D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By HatchbackCrusader
#268831 Ok, so I've searched high and low but can't find anything. I just changed my fuel filter and now my fuel gauge is going crazy. I'm not losing power, still drives good, but whenever I accelerate, it dips damn near 1/4 tank, then raises when I'm at a stop or parked. Any suggestions?
By teal_dx
#268837 Mine does that when I turn a hard right then goes up on a hard left. I have also noticed that it happens when accelerating as well, dipping down a bit. Not quite 1/4 tank as yours does though. I always thought it was a normal thing for these cars.
By HatchbackCrusader
#268839 Yeah, every Civic I've driven in does the same thing when turning a hard left or right. It's just that before I changed the filter, it was never dipping when accelerating. And it dips drastically. Am I losing pressure? Is my fuel sending unit bad? Im stumped.
By necropaulis
#269176 Fuel filter is too far upstream to affect your gauge. Mine also does it on accel also, but then it rights itself after a couple seconds. I would just chalk it up to fuel sloshing around and fuggataboutit. I've had lotsa cars do that. You might also be hitting a dead spot in the level sensor. Does it do it at any fuel level??
By HatchbackCrusader
#269189 Yeah, It does that at any level: full, half, and quarter tank. How difficult is the gauge sensor to change?
By RWMIII
HatchbackCrusader wrote:Yeah, It does that at any level: full, half, and quarter tank. How difficult is the gauge sensor to change?

fuel level sending unit is on the fuel pump housing. So pulling out the pump is the hardest part, which is super easy!
By RWMIII
HatchbackCrusader wrote:Ok perfect. I'll just put a new one on and see what happens. Thanks

any updates?
By HatchbackCrusader
RWMIII wrote:
HatchbackCrusader wrote:Ok perfect. I'll just put a new one on and see what happens. Thanks

any updates?

Yeah, changed it out, but it's been doing the same thing, I just deal with it.