D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By broken
#339333 Hey Super. Thank you for the info. I have had the engine running with Vtec on my stock P28. And I seriously fell in love with the engine. I actually enjoyed it more then my D16Z6. I did not know anything about timing or crank sensor you are speaking of. Though I believe my car has an OBD2 harness cause it does have a knock sensor wired in factory and I have a location on the block for it. I have of coarse been running the D16Z6 intake on it.

My issues now are that the bottom end of the motor went. Spun the Main bearings and destroyed the end of the crankshaft again :( I want to do a complete rebuild on it but all the parts I am finding through the links everyone has posted is For building a motor for boost. I dont want to boost my car. I dont drag race and I dont race people on the street. The plans are to road race the car and I would love to stay N/A.
By vebinua
#349248 totally helpful post! I saw an ad post though that sells a 92 eg with a transplanted d15b engine Dual v-tec. I'm only familiar with the 3 stage and the jdm d15b. Is that engine any different? I'm from the Philippines by the way. Thank you! :)
By eg84dr
Brandonthesmith wrote:hey i know this is super old but is the d15b and d15b7 block similar enough that i could swap one for the other as long as i swap the internals as well?

in theory yes
the rods, pistons and crank are all unique to that engine so switching blocks shouldn't be a problem.
what is the issue with the d15b block?
I am not 100% sure on deck height and main crank diameter being the same between the two
go buy some cheap calipers and do some measuring if you have both cranks and blocks.

Vebinua-
they most likely mean the 3 stage v-tec as it really only has two stages that v-tec are activated

somewhere on here i have a motor build post
By Eg6(s)
#350609 The internal swap of a d15b and b7 will work for sure. I have done it. Did anyone have any luck with a high compression build on the d15b. I'm trying to get a 11:1 Cr and use the 3-stage head utilizing the lean burn with tuning for MPG's. I have a Vitara built 3-stage vtec motor that I put in an integra and drove all year. I recently pulled it and am swapping it into a rt-4wd wagon. Here is what I was thinking since everyone is saying the Z6 pistons will hit the head. I want to use the fplowing combo:

D15b7 bare block
d15b crank
D16z6 rods
Edit: D16y8 pistons (29.4 vs the z6 30mm) PMS GX pistons (27mm)
3-stage head
Z6 Head gasket
Here is what zeal says about it.

11:1 build

The #MPGSOHC build

Pegged at 18:1 AFR's

Made 220 whp top so it was a pretty fun and efficient build. Got 40 MPG's. I'm re-doing the entire build. The goal is a solid 55 MPG's.

I am in the market for a 3-stage head if anyone knows someone with one... Please Help me find one. haha
Last edited by Eg6(s) on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By eg84dr
#350623 Y8 pistons will not work with the d15b crank
Piston height is incorrect.
See the number at the bottom of zeals page that says piston to deck height?
If its negative number it means the piston will stick out of the block.
The number yours shows is -.07!
Thats a little more then a 1/16 of an inch!!
To put things in perspective and average penny is around .05
You certainly dont want that much of your piston sticking out the top.
NOW if you were crafty and new a machinist you could take that .07 off the top of the piston to sit flush in the block.
But at that point you might as well use d15b pistons...

That being said, my motor d15b put out 43 MPGs on a regular basis.
I was running 10.5:1 compression and all I did was mill the head .030 and put a .8mm head gasket on it.
I had a lightweight flywheel (8LBS)
I also had an adjustable cam gear some rediculous amount retarded like 15 degrees.
By Eg6(s)
#350629 [quote="eg84dr"]Y8 pistons will not work with the d15b crank
Piston height is incorrect.
See the number at the bottom of zeals page that says piston to deck height?
If its negative number it means the piston will stick out of the block.
The number yours shows is -.07!
Thats a little more then a 1/16 of an inch!!
To put things in perspective and average penny is around .05
You certainly dont want that much of your piston sticking out the top.
NOW if you were crafty and new a machinist you could take that .07 off the top of the piston to sit flush in the block.
But at that point you might as well use d15b pistons...

That being said, my motor d15b put out 43 MPGs on a regular basis.
I was running 10.5:1 compression and all I did was mill the head .030 and put a .8mm head gasket on it.
I had a lightweight flywheel (8LBS)
I also had an adjustable cam gear some rediculous amount retarded like 15 degrees.[/quote

You are correct. I did about 3 hours of homework last night and was able to figure it the perfect combo.

PMS GX pistons seem to be the ticket. I'll edit my post above.

I'm stoked about this combo. Just need to find a head. I'll start my bottom end assembly as soon as the pistons and acl's arrive.
By eg84dr
#350631 Where in the world did you find GX pistons ???!!!!
They are VERY hard to get!
If you have found a reliable source, you my friend, have found the holy grail of the d15b!
I hope you are able to order them, however this has been tried by many before with no success :thumbdown:
By Eg6(s)
#350636 Majestic has them in stock :)
By Eg6(s)
#350638 I'm gwtting them .050 over so I can use the b7 block that i have that's already notched for clearance. I figure with some ARP rod bolts and possibly springs and retainers for an 8k redline this should be a pretty sick motor.
By eg84dr
#350641 Let us know if you actually get some lol
Many have ordered and been put on permanent back order
Best of Luck to you!
I really love these little motors :thumb:
By jefferydclark
#350750 I think the RS ratio being so close to perfect makes this engine withstand a little more power before the stockers fail. I really wish I could have kept my old D15B instead of going with a y7/z6 but I took what was readily available.
Last edited by jefferydclark on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jefferydclark
#350751 just to add to the goodness...I had a D15B with an ebay turbo setup and phearable basemap on 8PSI and completely raped my buddys turbo LS swapped civic. that car ran for over a year before the oil pump gave out on it. and i'll say I beat the living hell out of that little engine. it never gave me any problems until that pump failed.
By broken
#350954 I have a 3 stage head I can sell. Let me know if you are interested
By Eg6(s)
broken wrote:I have a 3 stage head I can sell. Let me know if you are interested

For sure interested. I PM'd you my number!! Thanks a million Man!