D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By broken
#244856 I recently purchased a jdm 3 stage vtec engine and am running a stock p28 ecu in my car. I have a 92 si hatch that had a D16z6. When the belt blew it made me find a bad crank welded to the harmonic balancer. Anyway so far this d15 is non impressive and vtec is not engaging. I understand that a p28 needs oil pressure to activite so where do you get this from? I used the engine oil pressure which apparently is not good enough.
By OleFolk
#244857 As far as I know 3 stage wont work with a stock p28
By eg84dr
#244858 the jdm 3 stage vtec is not ment to run on a p28 wich is most likley why vtec wont engage
that sucks about the crank you should take some pictures and post them up and also tell us where u got the engine so we know to stay away from that dealer
By broken
#244879 I'll post some pics later when I get home. But I bought the car that way. The motor I bought from the dealer online was the one that sold me the D15 with the 3 stage vtec. That he said" this is a direct replacement no question." The seller was Jspecauto.com. I would not recommend buying from him either cause he does not know what he sells and refuses to exchange even though I never unwrapped the engine from the crate he sent it in. Anyhow. All things aside is there a way to make this engine function correctly without buying a AEM emu? I see one of the moderators runs this engine however he has alot of money in elctronics tied up in his car which I did not want to do. And if I have to get AEM or hondata then I think I am gonna boost this and have some fun :)
By TrailerTrash
#244897 you should be able to run it with the correct ECU and maybe a jumper harness
By OleFolk
#245060 Does anyone know the spark plug gap size for a D15b
also are zfr5j-11 plugs okay
By OleFolk
#245069 The gap size is .044
Just not too sure if the plugs are good to go

Edit: .044 and those plugs are fine
Glad i replaced em too
By Eg6H2D
#267653 Bump to the top!!! Many questions asked people need to see this!! lol..
:thumb:
By familyEGuy23
#271004 I'm going to get a jdm d15b and before i put in the car was going to put new gaskets,seals and what not...I want to purchase ARP head stud kit but which do i purchase the one for a d16z6, b7, or z1? because i know its sort of like a z1 block and a z6 head...idk :? help is appreciated just thought id post here since there is already a thread about the d15b
By RWMIII
familyEGuy23 wrote:I'm going to get a jdm d15b and before i put in the car was going to put new gaskets,seals and what not...I want to purchase ARP head stud kit but which do i purchase the one for a d16z6, b7, or z1? because i know its sort of like a z1 block and a z6 head...idk :? help is appreciated just thought id post here since there is already a thread about the d15b

You will need to use the headstuds for the Z6 :thumb:
By Axix23
#338479 I like to add that the JDM d15b non-vtec has a slightly higher redline (7200rpms) than the usdm d15b's.
By broken
#339113 Along time ago I posted on this topic with some questions on the D15B 3 stage Vtec I bought. Since then I have come to truly love this engine. I am at the point of wanting to do a complete rebuild on it and potentialyy bore it a little bit.
There are a few good stickies and posts around the site here. However none really state if anyone has actually built one of these engines, Rather just simple external parts replacements. Is there anyone that knows a place to purchase Internals for these engines. I ahve looked at usual places like summit and jeggs but nothing was to be found
By juls1488
broken wrote:Along time ago I posted on this topic with some questions on the D15B 3 stage Vtec I bought. Since then I have come to truly love this engine. I am at the point of wanting to do a complete rebuild on it and potentialyy bore it a little bit.
There are a few good stickies and posts around the site here. However none really state if anyone has actually built one of these engines, Rather just simple external parts replacements. Is there anyone that knows a place to purchase Internals for these engines. I ahve looked at usual places like summit and jeggs but nothing was to be found

http://www.jhpusa.com
http://www.icbmotorsport.com/
http://www.inlinefour.com/
hopefully thatll help get you started. :thumb:
By suspendedHatch
#339223 broken - you're going to want to find compatibilities between that engine and the more common USDM engines and then use aftermarket parts made for those. It's a 1.5 liter block with a head similar to the Y5 except for the unique cam and valvetrain. The Y5 head is very similar to the Y8.

I bet Bisi would do a cam regrind for you and I'm sure you could find some high compression pistons for it.

To answer your two year old question of how to run it without engine management, I'd run ignition power to the VTEC-E solenoid effectively locking it into 16v mode, then run the VTEC solenoid to the ECU as normal.

A P28 will run the engine okay, but it will idle a little weird in my experience. It's far from ideal. The P28 was tuned for the Z6 head and intake manifold design which is VERY different than the OBD2 D series head design. The OBD2 D series is more efficient requiring less ignition timing advance, has different combustion chamber swirl and quench characteristics, and was designed for more low end drivability at the expense of top end. They have a different timing strategy utilizing a CKF sensor on the crank pulley to watch for detonation.

I'd recommend an OBD1 to OBD2 jumper harness and running the Y5 or Y8 ECU. With the Y5 ECU obviously you'd lose VTEC but it would run fine until you could track down the proper P2J ECU. With the Y8 you'd lock it into 16v mode as I mentioned earlier.