D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By eg84dr
#173107 so as many of you may know i love the jdm d15b motor
this is going to be a complete write up on pretty much everything you need to know about the jdm d15b and some parts to help you maintain a jdm d15b if you already have one :thumb:

first things first what is a jdm d15b
its a japanese motor put in a variety of cars
there are three jdm d15b's there is the non-vtec wich is the same as the usdm d15b then there is the three stage vtec wich is obd2 and is nothing like anything we got in the usa and third there is the jdm d15b vtec witch is very similar to the usdm d16z6 obd1 the only difference is that the d15b has a slightly more agressive cam and has less displacemnt (1.5 vs 1.6) the castings for the heads of the d15b and the d16z6 are the same.

the way to tell weather u have a three stage or the regular vtec is that on the three stage vtec there are two solenoids instead of one on the head also the three stage vtec has a very similar intake mani as a y8 :thumb:

now on to the parts portion i will give part numbers for the jdm d15b engine
here are all the part numbers all credt goes to makku on d-series.org

BLOCK SECTION
Block:11000-P07-800 <--- slightly different than VX
Piston set: 13010-P08-010 <--- unique to d15b vtec
oversize 0.25: 13020-P08-010
oversize 0.50: 13030-P08-010
Ring set : 13011-P08-004
Connecting rod set: 13210-PM6-000
Crankshaft:13310-P08-000 <--- completely unique
Connecting rod bearing A: 13211-PE0-003

HEAD SECTION
head assembly: 12100-P08-010 <---almost same as z6
camshaft:
14110-P08-000 <---unique! big surprise
cam pulley:14210-PM3-000 <--- same as VX
intake valves: 14711-P08-000 <--- unique
(also 14711-p2A-000)
exhaust valves: 14721-P08-000 <--- unique
(also 14721-p2A-000)
intake v. spring: 14761-P08-003 <--- unique
exhaust v. spring:14762-P08-003 <--- unique
valve seats/retainers: same as VX
now as far as rebuilding them goes
here is a thread hat i copied off d-series.org
all credit goes to coung-nutz

As with any engine swap, you'll want to do your major tune-up on the motor while it's out of the car. You have no knowledge of the past history of the motor unless it was from a car that you knew. Just putting the engine without replacing parts is just a time bomb waiting to go off. Save yourself time, swearing, a new motor, and do it right the first time by replacing the parts!

Finding replacement parts for the D15b is a PITA since this motor was not home to the Civics in the US but that of overseas...Japan, Europe, and elsewhere. Don't fret though, your basic maintenance parts can be had here in the US. This FAQ is to help clear the problems involved in searching for parts and make your life easier.

The D15b is essentially a VX block with a EX/Si Head. Majority of the internal parts are unique and cannot be found in the US, but your common maintenance parts are. Parts for the head are for a D16z6 (EX/Si) and the parts for the block are for a D15z1 (VX).

Setting timing: You set the timing on the cam gear as you would on on a D15z1--using the TDC indicators that parallel to the head with the "UP" facing up. You do not use the timing indicator on the 7 o' clock position of the cam gear. Just to be on the safe side when checking timing, use a long rod and stick it inside the number one cylinder to make sure you are actually at TDC.

Waterpump:

The correct waterpump is one for a VX(D15z1)

The waterpump for a D15B7 and a D16z6 are the same. The D15B7 pump shown here is made by the same company as the stocker for the D15b--KeiKen.

top view Left to right: D16z6, D15b7, D15B vtec

inside view left to right: D15B vtec, D15b7, D16z6

corresponding part number and brand. Stock D15B vtec waterpump at the far end.

I bought another water pump but this time at Advance Auto. I didn't like the design on the other water pump since it was nothing near like the stock one. The stock waterpump has, from what I believe, are breather ports for the bearing but I could be wrong. You can notice the opening/passages that lead to the bearing/rotating assembly.

Another angle of the inside view. Stock closest, D15b7, D16z6

Timing Belt:

You need a VX belt. Gates part number is T223.

The Gates T143 (1.5L DX/CX) was too long. The T224(1.6L) was shorter than the T143 but still had some slack. The only way you can run the D16z6 timing belt is if they're using the d16z6 tensioner. Even then, you risk the chance of timing belt teeth catching the lower portion of the engine mount since it's so close to it now.

Spark plugs:
D15B VTEC plugs: ZFR6J-11

Spark plug wires:
Same thing as for a D16z6.

Distributor:
The distributor is the same as the one for the D16z6.

Oil Pan:
D15b7 and D16z6 pan and oil pick ups are the same and will fit the D15B as far as I know. 96-00 D-series pans do not fit from what I've been told.

ECU:
You can run the D15b7 (P06) ecu but you won't have VTEC operation.
You can use a stock D16z6--P28-- ecu without a problem. It would be better to have the ecu chipped and run the P08 maps though.

Don't bother trying to get the stock D15b P08 ECU. Just have your current ECU chipped and run the P08 maps. Plus, you now have the advantage of tuning your car once chipped.

Oxygen sensor:
D15b7, D16z6
You can't use the one wire oxygen sensor that came with the D15b unless you're using the P08 ECU. Also, I don't think you can find the one wire oxygen sensor here in the US.

Fuel injectors:
Same as D15b7, D16z6

Transmission:
Any D-series. Best to get the EX/Si tranny to utilize the power band and the quick acceleration.

for bearings use z6/a6 rod bearings and main bearings use b7 bearings
rings i assume are all the same as long as its 75mm it should work not sure about the thurst washer but i would think if the main bearings are b7's then the thurst washer would also be the b7

credit to chrono for this
Rods on the JDM d15b are 137mm just like the D16z6 and the D15z1. The Big end on the JDM d15b rods are 48mm just like the other 1.6l d16z6. Which means you can use D16z6 aftermarket rods(as well as LS Rods) in it. The d15z1 has 45mm big end's, just like every other 1.5 d series(except jdm d15b)

thanks
all original posts are on d-series.org :thumb:
Last edited by eg84dr on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
By killerdwarf
#173121 very nice info... i think im going to have your help when i do this swap... if that's fine with you because you know your stuff... and you will be a valuable reference to it.. :thumb:
By killerdwarf
#173125 sweeeet... man im excited now. its just gonna be a couple of weeks until my tax return and im gonna be set.
By eg84dr
#173128 nice nice
if i get a job soon i should be starting on a completly new build for the jdm d15b im think a high cr build idk if its been done but i wanna do it :thumb:
iv read so many posts on other forums saying how shitty the jdm d15b is and the fact is that its an amazing motor it is like the ultimate d series motor
1 its got vtec
2 you can use z6 rods soo that means vitaras and forged rods ina 1.5 block :thumb:
3 its tiny so no one expects anything out of them
4 only motor that doesnt share a crank with another motor
5 its jdm haha :lol:
By killerdwarf
eg64dr wrote:nice nice
if i get a job soon i should be starting on a completly new build for the jdm d15b im think a high cr build idk if its been done but i wanna do it :thumb:
iv read so many posts on other forums saying how shitty the jdm d15b is and the fact is that its an amazing motor it is like the ultimate d series motor
1 its got vtec
2 you can use z6 rods soo that means vitaras and forged rods ina 1.5 block :thumb:
3 its tiny so no one expects anything out of them
4 only motor that doesnt share a crank with another motor
5 its jdm haha :lol:

its great... i cant wait to do the swap..... and my tranny can plug right in right?
By killerdwarf
#173145 yea its the stock dx tranny... whats the benefit of getting an si/ex? shorter gears?
By eg84dr
#173148 yup 2nd and 3rd gear are different and way more fun trust me it feel like you got more hp
i was lucky enough to get my tranny for 40 bucks so if u find one for under a hundred snatch it up fast
:thumb: :thumb:

By killerdwarf
#173151 ok and i also need a p28 ecu. now i see that Dippin_eg is selling a couple on here... do i need the obd1 or obd2 one?
By chrono404
#173152 Full of good info, However the D16z6 Water pump and the D15b7 Water pump are different.

I had a brand new d16z6 water pump i was going to use in a mini-me, However it wouldn't fit. They also have different parts numbers from Honda.

Below is additional valuable information can be edited into the first post:

Rods on the JDM d15b are 137mm just like the D16z6 and the D15z1. The Big end on are the JDM d15b rods are 48mm just like the other 1.6l d16z6. Which means you can use D16z6 aftermarket rods(as well as LS Rods) in it. The d15z1 has 45mm big end's, just like every other 1.5 d series(except jdm d15b)
By eg84dr
#173155 Added :thumb:

im stoked i can use z6 rods/ pistons in a d15b block with the jdm d15b block
more info i forgot
Timing Belt Tensioner:
The VX and the EX/Si tensioners are the same and are nothing like the one on the D15B VTEC. The D16z6 tensioner is almost the same as the D15B vtec except that it has a slightly larger diameter roller as you will see in the following pictures. I want to say it is safe to use the tensioner for the VX/EX/Si despite the larger roller. All the autoparts store I went to did not have a tensioner for the VX in their database--O'Reilly's, Autozone, and Advance Auto Parts, so stupid me went to the Stealership and ordered one only to find out it's the same as the EX/Si tensioner. The price was twice as much as the ones from the autoparts store, but it came with a new tensioner spring. The tensioner off a D15B7/8 will not work.

Z6/Z1 top, D15B middle, D15b8/d15b7 bottom

Z6/Z1 top, D15b vtec bottom

D15b VTEC tensioner on with VX timing belt. Pay attention to the tensioner spring.

Z6/Z1 tensioner on with VX timing belt. The tensioner spring is stretched further. I'm hoping this will be okay since I'm going to be using it.
By killerdwarf
#173195 ok and i also need a p28 ecu. now i see that Dippin_eg is selling a couple on here... do i need the obd1 or obd2 one?
By eg84dr
#173199 p28 is only obd1
i would sugesst getting one from this place
it comes ready to tune all you need to do is have CROME or can have a chip burned by them also
http://www.xenocron.com/chipped-obd1-vt ... p-129.html
they are expensive but you dont wanna cut corners with the ecu or get one off a kid on craigslist i bought one for 75 bucks and its blown off a local kid so i highly reccomend gettting one from a good source