D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By jaysuper
#101230 I have the whole z6 block out of my 92 SI and I put the head on a d15b8(The z6 block is cracked)that I'm putting in my 93 DX. :lol:
By EJcivic732
#110744 i have a d15b7 that im gettin ready 2 do a mini-swap to. i heard i can use the stock ecu for the swap just i'd have to hook up a v-tec controller or run it to a switch. and i can use the d15b7 timing belt is this true?
also i heard if i port/box out, i think its the intake manifold. and put a upgraded cam on it it'll make the v-tec hit harder. is any of this true? and what other things will help the vtec hit harder?
By teal_dx
EJcivic732 wrote:i have a d15b7 that im gettin ready 2 do a mini-swap to. i heard i can use the stock ecu for the swap just i'd have to hook up a v-tec controller or run it to a switch. and i can use the d15b7 timing belt is this true?
also i heard if i port/box out, i think its the intake manifold. and put a upgraded cam on it it'll make the v-tec hit harder. is any of this true? and what other things will help the vtec hit harder?

bad idea, get a p28. a vtec controller will not have the proper fuel curves like the p28 would.

porting the IM will not make vtec 'hit harder', but if done correctly can help air flow.
A cam will always help. A sohc vtec will never 'hit as hard' as a dohc.

You might want to test fit with your old d15b7 timing belt, but I believe the timing belt should match the head you are using.
By Kane
#126069 Nice write up you have here
very informative :)
By chuko
#129989 this is the best write up,i did my minime swap with a full rebuilt block,with a y8 head and im very pleased with the results,this write up helped me a lot.thanks man!!
By fuhq2man
#164649 i know to use the same distributer(D15B7) with y8 head. and im sure of course you buy the y8 spark plugs. But what about wires and can i use my same valve cover?
By fuhq2man
#166508 When doing this swap will i have to purchase a vtec solenoid
By project ej2
#166716 SICK FUKIN write up...im doin this set up like in 2 1/2 weeks..

[smilie=notworthy.gif] [smilie=notworthy.gif] :weee: :weee:

just need to get my d16z6 timing belt and cam gear (adjustable) water pump and head gasket kit and my NGK wire set and plugs..if i forgot something..please reply or pm me thanks man.. this write up is really helpfull..
By fuhq2man
#167498 I am on my to doing the mini me swap d15b7 to d16y8! Most of the parts are on te way and i'm ready to go!! Question, Wil my exhaust headers for my d15b7 fit my d16y8 head?? Also porting polishing and milling the new head, what would be possible gains? Whats your take on it thanks.
By JUICE
fuhq2man wrote:I am on my to doing the mini me swap d15b7 to d16y8! Most of the parts are on te way and i'm ready to go!! Question, Wil my exhaust headers for my d15b7 fit my d16y8 head?? Also porting polishing and milling the new head, what would be possible gains? Whats your take on it thanks.

header will bolt right up. and, the head will flow better, allowing it to make better power
By fuhq2man
#172382 So d16y8 head and valve cover, do i use all d16y8 valve cover bolts ?? Can I reuse my d15b7 bolts> Also intake mani mouting hardware, can i reuse the d15b7 ones also<<<//
By chrono404
#172422 The covers bolts for the VTEC Style Valve Covers(D16z6, D15z1, D16y5,d16y7 and d16y8) all have different connection hardware, They bolts are pressed into rubber grommets which are pressed into the valve cover.

You can use a D15b7 intake manifold, However using a d16z6 or d16y8 intake manifold will allow in more air and flow better making more power.

What Gains will be had from Port and Polishing? Totally depends on how well they are done.
By fuhq2man
#173635 can i use my iac of my d15b7 or do i need tp buy a y8 one to match my intake??