D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By teal_dx
#321156 Ok I think you will need to use the z6 bolts and then 2 d15b7 bolts in the back corner holes of the head. I don't know for sure because I used a y8 head.
If you already have both d15b7 and z6 bolts, then you can try them both and see which fits. :thumb:
Since you have the z6 head, I would use the z6 intake manifold.
By cruzan
#321184 Is there a reason for using the z6 intake? People till that the y8 is better is that true
By teal_dx
#321185 y8 does better in the mid range but z6 flows better at very high rpm. Probably not enough difference to notice w/o a dyno. But I would go with the intake that was designed for the head that you have. Honda engineers designed the two to perform best together.
By cruzan
#321206 ok teal thanks for your help soon i be putting pic off my build
By dialup
#331877 Will be doing this!
By pkaewthong34
#336376 I just got the belt for y8 head . Seems shorter than I though tho . Since z6 and y8 use same belt right ?
By teal_dx
#336378 Almost sure they have different part numbers from Honda. Most d series parts 96-00 have different part numbers than 92-95. Even though some suff is interchangeable, it is a different part number. To be sure you can count the cogs on the belt.
By pkaewthong34
#336379 It has 104 teeth ( I just count to make sure ) well I got the belt from advance auto part few mins ago . Seem shorter than I though but I gotta look or compare to the one on the motor once I get home . Well it said fit both 95 honda civic ex which is z6 and 96 honda civic ex which is y8 . Am I right ? Effective length: 39.02 in with 104 teeth
By pkaewthong34
#336391 ok thanks appreciate for look up for me actually .. i just checked it few mins ago and it does same length so now i got the TB and WP for the block (d15b7) only this problem then ill move to my suspension :woot:
By pkaewthong34
#336973 hey teal so wire and spark for the head right ? i kept forgetting which part should i use well i got y8 head so spark plug and wire is y8 , correct ?
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
pkaewthong34 wrote:hey teal so wire and spark for the head right ? i kept forgetting which part should i use well i got y8 head so spark plug and wire is y8 , correct ?

yea always buy the spark plug wires according to the head you are using
By crankinstein
#344922 Hey Teal,

I have what turns out to be a Y8 (P2J-2, 97) head, intake manifold, fuel rail and throttle body in my garage. I wasn't thinking about using it until recently, even more now that I have read your post about how easy it is. Especially since I would be mounting it to a D15B7 in my 92 Hatch.

The one (major) road block is that I have just done my head gasket, timing belt, tensioner and waterpump, so I think it would be a shame to pull it all apart for the sake of a few more ponies...but the concept of vtec does intrigue me!

Can you take a look and let me know what I would need to add to complete the swap?

Thanks in advance.

By crankinstein
teal_dx wrote:Looks the whole top end is there :thumb:
Is it from a manual car or auto?

TBH, I'm not certain. how can I tell?