D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By teal_dx
drivehrideh wrote:293,000 little smoke opon fire up but nothing after bought from original owner and nothing ever modified till i got it. .. im thinking with that kind of miles id just do a full swap but im not sure how well that would go.

293k mi ... That's awesome :woot:
Yeah if you are going to put the time into a mini-me swap, I'd hate to see it needing new rings shortly after. If you can, I'd do a swap or rebuild. A JDM D15B would be a good budget swap.
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
#302195 i know this is an old topic here but....im about to do this swap and i wonder if the B18B1 ARP headstuds will fit with my D15B7 block and Y8 head??? from my understanding all im looking for is the correct length in the bolt.. right?? what is the dif. between Y8 and z6 headstuds...just the length??

any help would be great :thumb: :thumb:
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
#302229 thats what i thought...i actually just measured the studs i have and 8 of them are 7" and 2 are 8"...do yu think i will be able to use the 7" studs instead of the z6 (6 1/2") ??? ....will that extra half inch make a dif??...will they be too long and interfere with something???
By teal_dx
#302831 You could try it, but I would have the recommended head bolts on hand in case it does not work. If by chance it does work, then you can return the headbolts to the dealership. :thumb:
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
#302915 i thaught of that...but i have a friend who just bought a 97 integra for 1500 ..all it needed was a head gasket...so i just sold him the ARP studs ...but i dont think they would have worked anyways

and another question...i know i need the Y8 plug wires...but do i need the Y8 plugs too?? or are they the same..the only dif. would be the gap?(if they are dif)
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
teal_dx wrote:The spark plugs are the same size. :thumb:

ok cool....but now I have another question....I originally was going to hone out the cylinders so l would have a nice cross hatch to seet the piston rings with...but I started doin. some research and found out that some of the Honda motors have a special
coating and shouldn't be honed.....any one know if the D15B7 block is one with special coating???....I don't want to ruin the block
By dylan0123
teal_dx wrote:I had to slightly trim the top section of the timing belt cover to fit.

You're all done now. Double check everything. If you start the car and it revs up and down, you probably have a vaccum leak.

I followed your tutorial, I tryed timing the moter with my eyes closed and something aint right! I used grandpappy's old unwashed sock. Anyhow I trimmed the timing cover and that vtec still aint wired up. how do i get this to work? I got a p28 ecu and a vtec solenoid and now I got a trimmed timing cover.

Please help. Thanks.

Lol, just kidding! You guys are the best, I'm gonna try trimming a little more on the shield and see how it goes.

P.S. Lol just kidding again. Thanks for the write up.
By teal_dx
dylan0123 wrote:
I tryed timing the moter with my eyes closed and something aint right! I used grandpappy's old unwashed sock.

lmao :lol:
By dylan0123
#320096 lol me and my friend were in a goofy mood when we wrote that.

seriously though, it's good to know the 92 has vtec wires up to the shock tower so we just have to run some over to that oil pressure sensor and the vtec solenoid.
By cruzan
#321112 hey teal_dx i got the d16z6 bolt and the d15b bolt which one should i use? I got the z6 timing belt and headgasket aem cam gear y8 intake and the z6 intake which one is the best to use .
By teal_dx
cruzan wrote:hey teal_dx i got the d16z6 bolt and the d15b bolt which one should i use? I got the z6 timing belt and headgasket aem cam gear y8 intake and the z6 intake which one is the best to use .

What block do you have and what head do you have? When you say d15b, do you mean the jdm d15b or the usdm d15b7? Please be specific as they are very different D-series motors. :thumb:
By cruzan
#321146 my bad teal is b7 and the head is a d16z6
By cruzan
#321147 my bad teal is b7 and the head is a d16z6