D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By kgeezi21
#344926 Teal,
I can't seem to get mine timed right. I have 2k y8 head, IM, TB. 93 d15b7 block, wp, tb tensioner.
Am I using the right TB(y8)? I'm no noob I been a tech my whole life. Engines just not my area of specialty. Help I'm sick of this running like ass
By teal_dx
crankinstein wrote:
teal_dx wrote:Looks the whole top end is there :thumb:
Is it from a manual car or auto?

TBH, I'm not certain. how can I tell?

Manual y8 has the iacv on the back of the intake manifold- just like mine on p1 of this thread. Auto has it built into the throttle body and is 3-wire instead of 2-wire. You want the manual one for a mini-me swap. :thumb:
By kgeezi21
#344943 I set to tdc. Set cam gear to marks. Put on TB. Put cover, pulley back on. Marks still on. But once I set tensioner tension and tighten everything up the makes don't line up after one complete turn on motor. Idles low, boggs, at low rpms.
By lalo
kgeezi21 wrote:I set to tdc. Set cam gear to marks. Put on TB. Put cover, pulley back on. Marks still on. But once I set tensioner tension and tighten everything up the makes don't line up after one complete turn on motor. Idles low, boggs, at low rpms.

Mine does the same thing but i have a z6 head with a y8 cam gear and I mean idle low and boggs at low rpm it also throws black smoke when i rev the engine. Could it be that the ignition timing is off because the timing on the cam gear is as close as it si going to get?
By crankinstein
crankinstein wrote:Hey Teal,

I have what turns out to be a Y8 (P2J-2, 97) head, intake manifold, fuel rail and throttle body in my garage. I wasn't thinking about using it until recently, even more now that I have read your post about how easy it is. Especially since I would be mounting it to a D15B7 in my 92 Hatch.

The one (major) road block is that I have just done my head gasket, timing belt, tensioner and waterpump, so I think it would be a shame to pull it all apart for the sake of a few more ponies...but the concept of vtec does intrigue me!

Can you take a look and let me know what I would need to add to complete the swap?

Thanks in advance.

I was seriously thinking about doing this swap, but have decided to sell this top end instead. PM me if interested, located NE GTA (Ontario, Canada).
By fatisuzu
#347490 Can you still use the d16y1 head for this swap
By teal_dx
fatisuzu wrote:Can you still use the d16y1 head for this swap

Yes you can :thumb: d16y1 is a Sohc vtec head. It's the Aussie version of the D16z6, almost the same thing.
By egguy22
#351163 OK guys i need help big time this is my issue this is in my 92 eg auto sedan
D15b7 bottom end
D16y7 head with cam and y7 belt
D15b7 dizzy
I've done mini mes before. I've never has this issue car has been timed three times .car turns over and does nothing buy hick IP and is boggy .cars getting fuel and spark .shooting little fire puffa out down pipe .car ran before head swap .I did it cause of bad b7. Head can't seem to figure it out .
By EPunongbayan
#352897 Hi,

Sorry I know this might have been covered already but just a quick question... I have a D15B8, wondering if I did this mini me swap how much hp might I get from this? Also would you advise this in order to get a little extra power? I haven't seen many posts about the slow D15B8 so thought I'd ask real quick.

Thanks!
By teal_dx
#352909 The D15b8 is so slow because of the 8 valve head. So once you put a z6 16 valve vtec head on, you'll be running about the same HP as a D16z6, 127 HP. Slightly more with a y8 head, due to higher compression.

However, be sure your pistons on the D15b8 are cut for 16 valves. I've seen some that were cut for 16, others were only cut for 8. If you put a 16 valve head on a D15b8 bottom end with the pistons only cut for 8 valves... it's valve crunch time :cry: