A place for all vehicles that aren't 92-95 (96-97 Del Sol) Honda Civics
By Joplies
#355204 Alright its been awhile since I have been on here but I have an issue with my moms '10 Accord Sedan. Long story short she locked her keys in the car, AAA came out and opened it with no issue. ( airbag between door sill and body then used long arm to pull trunk lever to open it ) and she got her keys no issue. Now she goes to start it and it starts fine no problem but she can't shift out of park. So she then calls me in a panic I tell her to pull the small cover next to the shifter and put the key in it to release it then place it in neutral. She then removes the key and starts the car with no issue there and is able to drive it and shift with no problems except it will not shift out of park again once she places it back into park. So in order to drive she has to remove the small plastic cover place the key in the slot put it in neutral and start it then move it into drive. Honda wants $135 just to look at it. DUMB if you ask me but I do get it since it is taking there time to look at it. What can I do about this?! She is on her way back from training out at the beach so I have yet to see it myself. This is all what she has told me. Any advice guys?

also sorry for the shotty grammar and structure, I am at work and just trying to post this as fast as I can.

Thanks! :thumb:
By EconoBox
#355205 Its probably the brake switch or 'AT shift lock solenoid set'.

Check the brake light switches on the pedal and make sure they are adjusted correctly and haven't moved (also make sure the brake lights are working).

The solenoid is under the console on the shifter and when you push the brake pedal you should hear it click allowing you to move out of park.
By Joplies
#355206 Alright I will have to try that when she gets back. Either way I will let you know what happens. Thanks man I appreciate it.
By Joplies
#355271 My bad for taking so long to get back but we fixed it. Come to find out my mom had removed the fuse for the horn since she couldn't find her keys right away when the car was opened for her. Apparently the horn fuse is also the fuse used for the rear brake lights which don't allow you to pull it out of Park if the lights don't work. Learn something new haha. Thanks for the help though!