A place for all vehicles that aren't 92-95 (96-97 Del Sol) Honda Civics
By civic eg-k
#327984 Long time no see. I have 2006 scion xb.and its also a 5 speed..the check engineIs on i scanned it and I says missfire cylinder 2 . Ive done some at home testing and injector is fine becuase you can hear it clicking and engine sounds some. What ok. I have also checked the coil For spark and while engine is running I lift the coil from spark plug and u can hear the clicking sound of the coil spark I have also taken the time to clean out throttle body. And I checked the. Spark plug which were change 4, 000 miles ago but only thing I found odd was thatthe number 2 spark plug gap was out of spec. It was at.049 when stock it needs to be at .032 factory setting . I made the qchange at it still felt and sounded the same. It has NGK GP PLATINUM SPARK PLUGS
I dont know whats wrong with the car . It has a rough idle while at stop lights and while I sits parked , its got this putt putt sound its not to noticable but I know it wasnt there. When u drive it it feels fine Smooth between shifts and RPMS. The bad part is im getting Bad gas milage. Let me know what you guys think .

Sorry about the grammer guys.
By MG6
#327987 Did you try clearing the code to reset the ECU? See if this helps and see if the code appear again after the reset.
By civic eg-k
#327995 Yea ive tryd that but still sounds the same. Small note the spark plugs were pre- gapped. But since the miss fire was on cylinder 2 and that. Spark plug was the one that was open at .049 I went ahead and closed it. 2 .032 oe spec.
By bradleyg
#327998 Try swapping the coil pack from cylinder 3 to cylinder 2 and vice versa. Then clear the code and drive it around until it comes bback and see which cylinder the misfire code is on
By civic eg-k
#328015 Will try that nxt tomc if the code moves over. Some of the guys from the scion community have said that maybe theres an intake leak or. Pcv leak or any leak regarding intake.
By MG6
#328018 did you install any mods?

I can't see why the code will appear as misfire #2 cylinder related to intake? If i am not mistaken, intake or PCV leak is related to emissions and it will pop up as emission code not misfire.

But what do I know, I haven't played with new cars for a long time and maybe codes nowadays are bunch together as one. :?
By civic eg-k
#328029 No mods all stock.. ima try and delete code and move coil over. Do u guys think it could be injector not pulsing enough fuel thru it? Or maybe OXYGEN SENSOR? Im stuck I need help . I just dont like the light being on. Lol
By MG6
#328055 :o did the spark gapping incorrectly cause your piston to burn and went to crap?

wow, if you bought your car new, and have warr still on it, bring it back to Toyota and ask them to explain what the fock happen.

No mod, and piston 2 shot. That is going to suck.
By civic eg-k
#328063 I dont think they can do ianyrhing about it we have had it for 6 years and at 120, xxx mile I think the warranty is over .

Do u guys think a spark plug could have caused this?
By asianrob
#328066 driving your car hard can cause it. it may have a burnt valve or a chipped valve.
By teal_dx
#328071 I know on a brand new motor, excessive fuel (not being ignited by the spark) can wash out the rings, causing then never to seal well on the cyl wall, leading to low compression -> burning oil.

But on a motor that is already broken in, I wouldn't think it would happen like that.

How long have you been driving with this problem?

Next step is to do a full leak down test to see if it is rings or valve seals. Then you'll know if you can just pull the head for head work or have to rebuild the bottom end of the motor.

This sucks man
By civic eg-k
#328081 I would say like 6 months. Until I had the time to check it. And I had a (MECHANIC) look at it he said it was oxygen sensor related so I wasnt worried. Until now that im getting a decent shake from the egine into the. Cab. Im looking for a shop that wont rape me on the price TOYOTA WANT $170 FOR SUCH A TEST and I dont a compressor nor the tool To do it.
By teal_dx
#328085 well, 6 months is a pretty long time, definitely long enough for some damage to take place.

Even if it was o2 related, it's still not a good idea to drive around on a bad o2 sensor, since it tells the ECU how much fuel to put into your motor. A bad o2 will typically tell the ecu to dump too much fuel in your motor.

The cheap way to check for bad rings is to do a compression test. then remove the spark plug and put a little bit of oil (like a cap full) in the spark plug hole. The engine oil in the cyl will usually be just thick enough to fill the excessive gap in the worn piston ring. Reinstall spark plug & wire & do another test. If your compression # is higher on the second test, then it is most likely the piston ring. If it is the same, then most likely the valve/valve seat.

Be sure that the engine is COLD when you do both tests. A warm engine will usually give better compression #'s because warm metal parts expand, reducing tolerances.
By civic eg-k
#328107 The compression test above I did while warm. And while it was still warm I did a (wet) compression test and it went up to 120psi. I will try a cold test tomorrow morning.

I also talk to a mechanic at TOYOTA and I ask why piston rings fail . He said they just do , theres no real reason. :eh: