A place for all vehicles that aren't 92-95 (96-97 Del Sol) Honda Civics
By 93cxhb
#283840 ok so the last few days have been not so good in my honda family. my friend asked me if i would help him change the brakes on his 91 civic hatch si

after changing them we discovered that he has no brakes now the pedal just squishes to the floor repeatedly.

we then changed the master cylinder and bleed the entire systemand have fluid to each brake still no brakes, ive noticed that the pads almost seem to thick and it was very hard to get the calipers over them also that they are rubbing on the rotors even without the pedal being pushed.

also i should note:

that there is no leaks in the system
i called to verify the part #

any help will be appreciated thanks in advance
By dbrooks
#283844 First off, I moved this thread to the correct location.

And secondly, it sounds like his brake booster is broken. That's what happened on one of my cars and it had the same symptoms.

Good luck!
By teal_dx
#283863 Not saying you don't know what you're doing but are you 100% sure you got all the air out of the lines?
Did you only change the fronts? And before changing, was this happening or were the pads just in need of replacement?
By 93cxhb
#283866 Yeah almost positive we got all the air out we bleed the lines and the MC took our time did things right.

The reason we originally changed the brakes was because they were in need of being replaced, no other reason and yeah only did the fronts.

I did all the work in the same manner and order I've been doing things for the last 10 years and this is the first time I've ever had an issue so I'm not sure what's going on, I'm one confussed Person right now. :?
By asianrob
#283880 bleed the master cylinder?

and leaks anywhere else?

could be bad booster too?
By mitch6
#283886 R u sure where ever you picked up the Master Cylinder from, they gave you the correct one? If they gave you the wrong Master Cylinder, the booster may not be able to push the piston far enough to open the values that release brake fluid into the brake lines. But seeing as you bleed it and fluid was being released i don’t see what could be the problem... :?

When you bleed the brakes, did you bleed from the wheels?? and if so, how was the pressure of the fluid being released from the caliper nipple? If it was very weak but no bubbles, then you better make sure once again that they gave you the right master cylinder, or see if your booster is shot?

Hope things will work out for you soon, brakes can be a pain in the ass! good luck :D
By 95cpeEX
#284741 the thing i have seen everyone over look so far that the OP said that it seemed like the brake pads were to thick because they barely fit over the rotor.

IMO i would you have bad calipers. the calipers were probably over heated from the bad brakes when he pushed the piston inside the caliper it seized and now wont release when the brakes are depressed.

i may be wrong but this is just my opinion.
By Apexracing
#284759 hmm did you reset the pistons fully? Sounds like they didnt get reset fully.
By tegpower18
#284784 A bad booster will not cause squishy brakes it will just cause hard braking so u can pretty much rule that out. Another way to test the booster is pump up the brake with the car off and hold it. Then start the car with your foot still on it and if it drops alittle the booster is still good.

Secondly its very possible you got a bad booster so don't put that idea out. I would remove the master cylinder again and get a plastic style syringe with a rubber end and bleed the master off the car first then install it. Then after you install it re bleed the lines.

If that does not work try another new master.