A place for all vehicles that aren't 92-95 (96-97 Del Sol) Honda Civics
By BaTzEG92
#271609 Hello all!

I have a 1992 hatch (avatar), and she's my daily driver. Problem is, she's generally a fair weather car - window seals aren't great (water drips in), hatch takes on inches of water when it rains, rear defroster doesn't work, no A/C, etc. I'd like to take the time to work on her (eventually), but in general am looking for a newer car that isn't as beat-up.

My criteria, pretty much in order of importance:
    * <$8,000
    * >30mpg combined city/highway (getting ~35 in my hatch has me spoiled :) )
    * 2 door hatchback or coupe
    * Reliable, no unfixed recalls or TSBs
    * Decent aftermarket support (at least IHE)

I've done some research and looked at a few potentials (no test drives yet) but wanted to get some expert opinions :D.

Considerations:

Civic EP Si Hatch - The EK hatches don't really send me, and my concern with the EP is that the hatch only comes in the Si package and the reported mileage is something like 22/28. But I'm really in love with hatches now because of my EG. Does anyone by chance own one and can add some "real" mileage reports?

Civic EP Coupe EX - The EX is reported to have a more acceptable 30/37 mileage, and meets all the other criteria, but they just don't look as sexy to me as EGs, EKs, or the newer FGs (8th gen). Thoughts?

Ford Focus ZX3 - besides for perhaps a VW Golf/GTI (I'm just not a VW kinda guy), this is about the only other sporty hatchback I've seen. They get respectable mileage (my sister has an automatic sedan and gets mid 30s) and are supposedly peppy with a sporty suspension, but I've read about nightmare issues with the ignition, alternators and starters that blow up once a year.

Then there are cars like the RSX/Integra (bit more expensive) or perhaps even the Chevy Cobalt (decent mileage, doesn't impress me visually and I'm not a Chevy fan), but as you can see, I'm undecided. If I had to go out and buy one RIGHT now, I'd probably go with the Civic EX coupe, and second in line would be the Si hatch (pending mileage).

I appreciate any input!!!
By FG2_Andrew
#271724 CLIFFS: OP wants help deciding on a car, but already has 2 in mind.

^did i get that right? so this thread is pretty much pointless?

and if i were in your position: i own a hatch. and my second vehicle would be a nice, tastefully lifted pickup. or an SUV.
By eg-guy
#271728 i'd go for the ep si hatch, k20 powa. only bad thing ive heard about them is they weigh alot.
By BaTzEG92
#271757 @deadbeatEH2 - to clarify for you, OP wants help deciding on a car, has done some of his own research, has a few cars in mind as potentials, and was hoping to get some friendly advice from fellow car enthusiasts to help weigh the decision.

@EG-guy, thank you for the input. There are a few Si hatches for sale near me, am planning on taking one for a drive. Or at least a sit - I'm 6'4", so I'm always concerned about leg/head room in small cars :)
By eg-guy
#271760 no prob, keep us posted.
By chrono404
#271763 Ep3's are pretty awesome. However the EM's(2001-2005 Civics) are also pretty cool. Especially the 04-05. Its stupid simple to swap in a K Series into them.

I would personally recommend a Sedan or Wagon for a second car. Having one practical car such as a Sedan or Wagon makes life easier if you need to carry people. move stuff, etc and you dont want to put it in your nice car.

The though of getting an 04-05 Civic Sedan EX crossed my mind many times before i ended up buying my 04 WRX Wagon.
By FG2_Andrew
#271995 EM2 > EP3, imo.

EM2's just look cooler to me. :woot:
but to not have to swap to get K20 power, obviously.. EP3 wins. but you can't really slam either without some hefty mods from what i understand. especially the EM2.
By RWMIII
chrono404 wrote:Ep3's are pretty awesome. However the EM's(2001-2005 Civics) are also pretty cool. Especially the 04-05. Its stupid simple to swap in a K Series into them.

I would personally recommend a Sedan or Wagon for a second car. Having one practical car such as a Sedan or Wagon makes life easier if you need to carry people. move stuff, etc and you dont want to put it in your nice car.

The though of getting an 04-05 Civic Sedan EX crossed my mind many times before i ended up buying my 04 WRX Wagon.

I totally agree with Chrono for the practicality factor.
By BaTzEG92
#272525 Appreciate all the input :-D. This new one will probably be my daily for a while, and I don't frequently ferry passengers or cargo so a sedan/wagon isn't the highest priority - I'm more so looking for a fun daily driver with good mileage and some pep, not too much extra weight/length that 4 doors can bring. Though it surprises me that the overall length of the EM coupe and sedan are the same - I'd rather the coupe be a bit shorter for parking ease :( .

Alas, I have good information to consider - the search continues :-)
By necropaulis
#274120 The Focus is nice.... and slow. I raced one (5 speed) in an auto '01 neon with system, and tied/ barely beat it. It wasn't a knuckle biting win either, we were side by side the whole time. The EP hatch is one of my favorites, but that might be because it's the only "new" hatch we're allowed to have. Plus, I don't know where you live, but around me, they're on the rare side. Cobalts are kinda fun, but you're gonna get the "shoulda gotten the SS" feeling after a while (drove one for a coupla months) and even then the SS is slow compared to the Neon SRT-4. I could go through this spiral forever, so my vote is EP hatch or chuck the extra cash at an rsx type s (can be found for under 7 g's) There's an A-spec in Jersey 7,700
By pacs
necropaulis wrote:The Focus is nice.... and slow. I raced one (5 speed) in an auto '01 neon with system, and tied/ barely beat it. It wasn't a knuckle biting win either, we were side by side the whole time. The EP hatch is one of my favorites, but that might be because it's the only "new" hatch we're allowed to have. Plus, I don't know where you live, but around me, they're on the rare side. Cobalts are kinda fun, but you're gonna get the "shoulda gotten the SS" feeling after a while (drove one for a coupla months) and even then the SS is slow compared to the Neon SRT-4. I could go through this spiral forever, so my vote is EP hatch or chuck the extra cash at an rsx type s (can be found for under 7 g's) There's an A-spec in Jersey 7,700

since sedans or wagons are out of your choices, and definitely you wont consider a truck for sure. just save the cash and get an rsx.
By Chance
#278275 Get a Scion TC's can be had for your price range.