A place for all vehicles that aren't 92-95 (96-97 Del Sol) Honda Civics
By kingjmack
#265724 I don't have any pics to show, but I just did an oil change on my wife's 2003 mercury cougar that took me over 5 hours to do.

Normally I do ALL the maintenence on our vehicles, but my wife wanted to give me a break and had her oil changed at walmart. OK, Fast forward 3000 miles. I bring her car in the garage to change the oil, Jack it up, and rool under it to discover that the Oil pan drain bolt had been stripped and over-tightened.

CRAP!!!!

After rounding the head of the bolt even more, I had to remove the y-pipe in the exhaust so I could hammer a smaller 6pt socket on the drain bolt.

Got the drain bolt out, went to advance to get a new bolt, put it back in, and when I went to put the exhaust on, I noticed the bolts had stretched a little and my tap & die set could not save them.

I had to go back to Lowes (a few time), and got some dewalt cobalt drill bits to drill the bolts out. They were pressed in the flange. Talk about a pin in the A**!!!!!

I guess since the exhaust had been heat cycled so many times, the bolts decided they didnt want to come out, so after breaking 7 drill bits, I finally gor them drilled out and put the exhaust back on.

OK, I'm done venting now.
By TrailerTrash
#265755 hey man once in awhile you just gotta vent about that quick 15 minute repair that ends up costing four, five, six hours, several trips to the autoparts/hardware store, several broken tools, and maybe even that date with that girl that you had to work up all that courage to ask out then decided you would meet at the resturant instead of getting her phone number and picking her up...

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

:lol:
By asianrob
#265758 should have just took it back to wal mart and made them fix that shit.
By necropaulis
#265761 That happened to my mom. Walmart techs shouldn't be allowed near car magazines much less cars. I was working at a shop, 3 different people including myself tried to get the oil pan bolt off of a 2001 neon. First they told us she waited too long(by 150 ish miles). Then they had us go to another shop and have them write up an estimate. We bring that back and I ask them how much they torque the bolt to. He tells me they impact it to 65-80 lbs :shock:! Long frustrating story short, I had to replace the oil pan at my own expense.