A place for all vehicles that aren't 92-95 (96-97 Del Sol) Honda Civics
By dawg316
#138084 After watching shows like motorz online and the spike car show line up " the power block" alot of the shows show intrest in modern day v8's and how easy it is to make power from them. I know they respond better to mods but dam an intake on a new camaro giving it 40+ HP and + 40 Lb/tq. thats insane. while strapping a intake to a honda will give you any where from 1-6 hp. Is it that the stock v8's come with realy restrictive intakes from factory or what ?

And for tunes. they just plug in a handy dandy OBD- II port turner which boost more power. i didnt believe this shit untill they showed dyno charts. and even my boss at my old job did it to his escalade and got major power from it. While us honda guys gotta convert to OBD-I chip a Ecu then take it to a dyno , pay a tuner to get it all handled for us.

I dont understand how OBD-II tuners for domestics's work. If any one knows please fill me in on it and how they can squeese soo much power out of v8's with minor bolt ons. makes me realy consider buying a honda. but i still get 30 MPG and i got 4 doors

:woot:

/end of rant
By Greasedmonkey
#149981 most american built motors are not built the way ours are. Honda, nissan and toyota go FAR FAR beyond what GM and ford, and dodge do to their motors. the japanese companies are getting the most out of their motors with out going into FI or more serious machine work, IE porting and polishing and such.

Modern day V8s come with like you said, restrictive intakes and exhausts, and their heads are optimized as much as ours are from the factory. Most stock B series heads flow as much or more than after market performance heads.
By Gorveatt
#150083 GM for example sucks at building motors for getting the most out of them, lets say for example GM's Vortec 4800 LR4. A 4.8L V8 makes 270 horsepower to 295 horsepower and 285 lb·ft to 305 lb·ft depending on the year and application.

Now lets look at a British car, the Aston Martin V8 Vantage the 4.7L V8 in the 2008+ model makes 420HP and 350 lb·ft

Now i chose those two motors cause they were similar in displacement, yes i know the GM one is from a pickup, but you can see the dramatic difference in power compared to the two, which is the point i'm trying to make.

-Sources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Mart ... tage_(2005)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine#4800
By chrono404
#150086 Most American v8's still only use 1 Cam and lifters and only 2valves per cylinder. :lol:

I think the best of the American v8's would be the Cadi Northstar v8. I mean it has quad overhead cams, electronic fuel injection and probally the most modern engine setup to leave a GM Engine plant since the 50's

Its obvious when GM trys they can make good performance engines such as the Northstar or the LS1 vette engines. However the rest of the engines seams to be a 50 year old design with fuel injection taped on.
By Greasedmonkey
#150091 pushrods are a thing of the past. They need to realize that.