Discussion of the use of Nitrous on all motors
By OmarG
#49798 I'm considering adding a Kit to my current setup. I have:

Short Ram intake
Holley Exhaust
Hollowed out cat
Headers (soon to have)

I'm looking for a good HP getter on a budget. My engine has 120k miles on with no internal modifications. what should I be looking at price wise? This IS NOT a thread to bitch and moan about Fake horsepower ect ect. If you can't help or provide me with constructive information, please refrain from posting.

Nitrous kit 500-650ish

install - ?

Cams and what ever you guys say I should do - ?

Tuning - ?
By id3379
#49819 eh...nitrous is so much trouble..

melting internals...refilling bottle...not constant power...

why not go with a turbo ? :thumb:
By teal_dx
OmarG wrote:This IS NOT a thread to bitch and moan about Fake horsepower ect ect. If you can't help or provide me with constructive information, please refrain from posting.

He's sold on nitrous rather than turbo.

OmarG- Unfortunately, there's not a lot of people on the board with nitrous. But hopefully someone who knows will be able to help
:thumb:
By OmarG
#49840 Thanks Teal,

I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm entirely sold on nitrous, I am looking for a "cop out" I'm not great with cars, (I can do basic stuff, just not up for messing around with engine internals.) I'm not looking to do an engine swap just yet either.

I really don't know what to do. no offense Teal but I HATE Mustangs, And out here in rural Texas, thats all we have. Punks in the High school parking lots driving around with their gull wing doors wide open. Cars that daddy bought not built. I think they feel that because they have the money to roll a car off the lot that has an ungodly amount of horsepower, they can talk shit about my "Jap-Crap." I'm not looking to smoke them by 5 car lengths, nor to just thow cash at people to make my car a drag demon, I just want to be able to at least keep up with them. ("them" being their bone stock Mustangs) I want the satisfaction of knowing that my 1.5 liter beater can keep up with their watered-down "american muscle."

That being said, I'm open to anything that would get me horsepower with relitively low cost. I know that both turbo and nitrous don't come cheap, but I thought that nitrous would probably be the cheaper of the bunch. I can't spend money out the ass, one, because I 'm not made of money, and two, I have a future Civic driver on the way.

Thank you both for your input, and I look forward to hearing any other options you guys might have. :thumb:
By teal_dx
#49842 Well the thing with nitrous is your civic will be bone stock most of the time except when you're spraying. Turbo, you will always have a turbo, so you won't surprise as many mustang owners as you would with a bottle.
So Nos is the easy solution. However, you could piece together your own turbo kit for around $1000, but that requires some DIY work & fabricating.
By BAXTER_EJ1
#49846 And to refill the nitrous is going to be an ongoing cost. If you can piece together your NOS set-up for $500-600 disregarding the tune, the more you use it, the more you pay.

Not trying to sway you, but once you piece together your turbo and tune, you're good to roll aside from filling up your gas tank. :thumb:
By OmarG
#49857 @ Teal:

what kind of fabrication would the DIY turbo entail? Is the DIY easy enough for a noob like me to do without much trouble? and most important, Would I still have a reliable engine after its all said and done?

wouldn't I have to get it tuned just right too?

@ Baxter:

I probably wouldn't use it but once a month. (maybe) I know This place in town charges 35-40 bucks for a refill. so yeah, it'll get pretty pricey, but eh. I could sway either way right now :)

Do you guys know if the bottle is good for one spray only? how many times could I hit the bottle before its time to refill her?
By BAXTER_EJ1
I had a focus with a 50 shot NX kit with a bottle heater and ran 22 times in one night here at firebird raceway in phoenix before my times started really dropping and the bottle was pretty much empty. without a heater it'd be about half as many runs.

From a google search. Maybe 10 shots per bottle on the conservative side. Not bad I suppose, but I imagine it'd be hard to fight the urge to spray it when someone's egging you on...

Here in Canada it's illegal to have any nitrous oxide system in your car on a public road because it's a "dangerous substance". I heard even having the equipment without it filled can warrant a fine. Not sure what your laws are like there, but it may be worth checking out.
By ohDirka
BAXTER_EJ1 wrote:Here in Canada it's illegal to have any nitrous oxide system in your car on a public road because it's a "dangerous substance". I heard even having the equipment without it filled can warrant a fine. Not sure what your laws are like there, but it may be worth checking out.

Its illegal here too but thats why everyone hides in the trunk where its not seen.
By BAXTER_EJ1
#49885 Still a risk though. If the police carried out a search of your car (and they could have many reasons to do so) I'm sure it carries a HEFTY fine if not confiscation of your vehicle. Is it worth the extra hp to be able to beat someone 10 times on a bottle? My answer would be no.
By OmarG
#49917 Hrm... I know there is a shop in town that does the refills, I'll drop by after school and see what the regulations are on they spray. I don't think it's illegal here.

All the rednecks have their jacked-up diesel trucks drinking either NO2, propane, or alcohol.
By teal_dx
#49918 http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=443

http://homemadeturbo.com/turbo_projects/

here's a couple links to get you started... There's a lot to learn!

Not trying to sway you to the dark side, but you asked :twisted:
By stefan
#50397 Let's see:
One turbo-install forever for a grand, or one NX kit and 6-7 refills for a grand...

I'd go with turbo mate, NX is a thing IMO you should only add when you're done with the constant powergetters, to get the few extra hp when doing a race.

I'm not shitting you when I say you should go out and buy a SSAC or XS Power turbokit.
Just go with the package wich has what you need; turbo, downpipe, turbo manifold, i/c and i/c piping, hardware for installing it.

Few things to do though;
- sell the oil feed and return, and buy a pair of Stealth Mode Performance ones in stead
- port the runners of the manifold, the welds are fugly but will hold with the next thing to do;
- weld a few brackets to the manifold, this way it will not crack as soon as other ones do... also make a bracket from the turbo flange on the manifold to the front of the engine where the stock header is secured.

That's pretty much a bolt on upgrade for like a grand including tuning.
By OmarG
#50411 I wouldn't need new injectors/pistons or anything like that? what would be a safe level to boost at? 4-5 psi?