If you have anything other than a 92-95 Civic, post it in here
By Civic_HatchSI
#361189 Some of you wanted me to start up a build thread for my new car (reddrick replacement). Sorry it has taken me so long to start one up but better to be late then never :)

As most of you know I parted ways with my 1992 SI hatch (Reddrick) after 10 plus years of ownership. I now own a 2001 Honda s2000. I bought it back in 2014 from a local dealership. I lucked out on this s2000 because it was at the BMW dealership and they did not see the value in the car. I ended up buying it right away for next to nothing because it had high mileage. (205,000kms)

The car needed some work, I ended up replacing the driver side rear hub and bearing and changing out all the fluids. I also bought 4 Hankook v12's to mount on the factory alloys.

Alright so as you all know I can't seem to leave anything stock for long lol So once I did a bit of maintenance my first modification was a K&N intake.

I also bought some coilovers. I ended up just buying Yonaka Spec 2 because I knew later on down the road I would be upgrading to something better.

Cosmetically the car was starting to look better, but I had to get rid of the ugly amber lights.. I ended up finding a nice set of clear JDM headlights from the import shop in Montreal for a good price so I bought them.

I also picked up a cheap ebay lip until I found a OEM or a different bumper. This is how the car looked for two summers

By Civic_HatchSI
#361190 The next little mod I did was powder coat my valve cover. I also picked up some password dress up washers for under the hood and some "spoon" socks..

I bought a used AP2 dead peal, I just had the cheap looking black plastic one..

By Civic_HatchSI
#361191 Couple interior shots..

I wrapped the shifter console with carbon fiver vinyl. Also added a red stitched password shift boot. The car came with a aftermarket Alpine deck and a Skunk2 knob, I plan on switching the knob out for a factory one eventually.

By Civic_HatchSI
#361192 Next on my list for modifications was to find a nice exhaust. I was really leaning towards a new Tanabe Medallion catback but it was way out of my price range at the time. I was also thinking about getting a authentic Mugen, but nothing came up for a good price. So in the end I found a really nice single exit Fujitsubo catback, it is really quiet and somewhat rare with the left exit. I am super happy I waited :)

That summer I put the s2000 in the car show for the first time. Same car show I had my EG in since 2007, it was still really weird not having reddrick there.. but I am slowly adjusting myself to enjoy my new car. (sounds weird I know)

By Civic_HatchSI
#361193 I had a buddy build me a custom cover for the cross member under the hood. I also got some more things powder coated.

I also bought a Invidia test pipe

After installing the test pipe and putting around 30,000kms since ownership, I noticed it was taking oil pretty much every time I took it for a drive. Soooo I ended up re installing the stock cat until I had a chance to rebuild the engine. With the stock cat I didn't smell the oil as bad or see the big puff of smoke lol..

Few pics from a road trip to Fundy New Brunswick.

Another major issue I notice with the car over time was the sloppiness of the rear end, I wasn't quite sure what was the problem but come to find out both my rear axles were damaged quite bad and the driveshaft had some play. I made the decision to do a complete AP2 rear end swap that winter.

When we pulled the axles to see what the noise was

I was able to source out a full cradle from a 2004 with thes then 40,000kms. I bought everything for just under a grand. Was a pretty good deal imo.

While everything was apart I bought a new set of Innovate 75a diff mounts from Teknotik and new bolts for the driveshaft.

Picked up new OEM AP2 retainers and valve seals
By Civic_HatchSI
#361194 The rear end swap went great, I took the car out the following spring and I could immediately feel the difference in the rear end. What a awesome upgrade for the money.

I got bored of the valve cover color so I switch it up to a more vibrant red. Also powered not paint. Hopefully I don't change my mind again lol

That same summer I found a used set of wheels. I really wanted oem fitment because I hate the "stance" look and I didn't want to cut or roll my fenders. IMO that is just dumb...
It took me time to pull the trigger on a set of wheels but I am very happy with these.

They are authentic Work Emotion CR Kai staggered setup
17x7 +42
17x8 +47

I found these wheels from Ottawa they came with tires but the two rear ones were bald. They also came with a set of Works blue lugs, I am still up in the air on the blue not sure if I like it. I will likely switch them out for black eventually..

I put another brand new set of Hankook v12s when I bought the wheels. 215/45/17 up front and a 245/40/17 in the rear.
By Civic_HatchSI
#361195 I ended up finding a driver side seat, I really needed one as mine was completely wrote off when I bought the car. It was super uncomfortable and a real pain in the ass. I was very happy when this one came up for sale locally :)

Old

New

I still need to find a passenger seat, it has also seen better days lol

Now on to the current mods from this past summer (2016)

Unfortunately I was involved in a hit and run last fall and my insurance will not pay. Luckily it wasn't to much damage, just more of a headache then anything. My insurance is telling me if I had witnesses the damages would of been covered but unfortunately I don't.

So as of now my car still sits in this condition, hopefully I will have it fixed come spring.

Now I also purchased a Forbbiden USA Mugen style hardtop from a guy on kijiji. It was in excellent condition and came with the mounting hardware and was also a good price so I bought it. Long story short, I had the hardtop shipped with (Sameday Wordwide) and it got significantly damaged during shipping and they would not come good for it. I faught with them for weeks over the phone and through email and after talking to to more then 4 people the best they would do is send me a check for $250... There is over $800 in damages between the paint and brackets missing. I assume they got stolen or lost because when I received the top it was all opened and tampered with.

Pictures sent from the seller

Pictures after I received the damaged top

So unfortunately I am currently stuck with a damaged top and no brackets. I am hoping I will have time to get this fixed over the winter but we have a lot of projects on the go between this car and my husbands Integra.

Here is a picture of it sitting on the car before I put it away for winter.

By Civic_HatchSI
#361196 Now that everyone is caught up this is the current state of my s2000...

Last weekend we pulled the engine to have it rebuilt.

This was defiantly a challenge, first time for us pulling a s2000 engine. It's defiantly not a 2 hour b series job lol..

Since the motor is out I decided to buy new engine mounts, I went with Innovate 75a. They are on back order so I probably will not get them for a week or two.

I ordered a OEM clutch disc with throw out and pilot bearing good thing because when we removed the clutch it was completely destroyed. Know wonder I was hearing weird noises during engagement. I also bought a new ACT HD pressure plate $1000 dollars later... ouch

Old disc, you can see the cracks and the springs were very lose. I think it was a cheap aftermarket clutch disc because the pad it self was still like new but the rest was ruined.

Flywheel is also pretty rough, I sent it over to the local machine shop to get resurfaced.

More to come guys :)
By TrailerTrash
EconoBox wrote:I love compiled build threads like this when there is a bunch to read all at once! Keep it up this is a cool project!

2nd this

Ive always loved S2Ks and i LOVE red interior S2Ks :love:

you are making me want one :x
By teal_dx
#361250 Wow you've really brought this car back to life :thumb: Even with some bad luck here and there...
I'm wondering is there any mechanical difference in the AP1 and AP2 rear ends? Did honda beef any parts up on the AP2?
By Civic_HatchSI
#6907314 Thanks!!! Yes the AP2 rear end are stronger and handle better from what I read. I believe the rear upper control arms are also different. I notice it does handle a lot better especially around tuns, it doesn't want to kick out as easily.

I finally bought the hardtop hardware so I could install the top. I went with the Forbbiden USA oem style bracket, basically they are a quick release with a handle instead of unbolting the top each time.

Picked up a 04-05 AP2 valve cover, I had my buddy power coat it teal with white plug cover. Can't wait to get that installed.

I also bought a OEM type r shift knob and some car cleaning supplies from Chemical Guys. I love love love the torque cannon, I highly recommend it for anyone that wants to cut there wash time in half!