If you have anything other than a 92-95 Civic, post it in here
By EconoBox
#358535 Yea that is the Metra kit.... :? :lol: :eh:

I really don't know what they were thinking. At this day in age it wouldn't be that hard to make an aftermarket control that looked like the OEM unit.

Also from what I heard the display is the only part that lights up... so at night you can't read any of the buttons.

This is the other dash kit that a lot of people use. I think it looks kind of cheesy also and you loose both pockets. I keep change in the "not an ash tray" spot and have my Hondata USB where the cigarette lighter is so I didn't want to deal with getting rid of both pockets.
http://www.custominstallparts.com/store/p115/Acura_TSX_2004-2008_-_CUSTOM.html
By EconoBox
#358544 Little bit of an update on the radio install.

Finally happy with the face plate piece I've been creating. Gave it a coat of primer to make sure everything was straight and that there were no pits in the surface.

Now I have to finish the behind the scenes pieces. There will be a couple of test fits and lots of small parts to epoxy into place to make this stand over time.

Honestly I can't believe how much time I have into this small piece, but I really enjoyed making it myself. :D
By EconoBox
#358545 And I know everyone (Ok the 2 or 3 people) that actually look at my thread are probably wondering "What's going on with the turbo project?"

Don't worry I'm still working on gathering up parts. The turbo alone is a very large chunk of $$$ and I have to save up to buy most of the big parts. I already have a large portion of the "supporting" mods purchased so I'm already heavily invested into this turbo charging project.
By EconoBox
#358602 Still working on the radio install. I haven't had much free time lately. Been working 6 days a week and haven't had much free time to get around to the car.

I finally have this weekend coming up off. So there is a lot planned to get done before I leave for Import Alliance on the 19th.

Plans for this weekend:
-Finish up the radio bracket
-Finish the subwoofer enclosure and new trunk floor. I just want to finish cutting and building the MDF enclosure and floor. I will install LEDs and the covering material after vacation.
-Install test pipe with stock cat covers over it (sneaky sneaky)
-Remove mid muffler and replace with straight piping
-Install RSX Oil pump
-Install RSX VTC gear
-Install RBC Intake manifold
-Weld up new intake arm
-Remap Flashpro for 45 degree VTC and air flow upgrades.

I ordered a hybrid-racing ZDX Throttle body adapter and I have order the TL throttle body (70mm) throttle body but I am unsure if they will make it here in time to install before IA.

Once everything is done I am hoping to get out and see what the change in response is. More open exhaust, the bigger throttle, and removed weight from the balance shafts couple with the updated 45 degree VTC should make for a nice improvement.
By EconoBox
#358636 Head unit bracket is essentially done. I have a few tiny things to modify to make the fit a bit better and then a coat of black paint should finish it off for now. I would do a better job matching it up but it is temporary until I get a different head unit. In case the new one requires a modified frame I don't want to have to ruin a nicer finish.

Now it's time for a trip to home depot to pick up some MDF to get the subwoofer enclosure and new trunk floor built.

By EconoBox
#358669 Before I got started this weekend here is a before picture of the engine bay in my TSX. Only visible modification was the Comptech (CT engineering) ice box.

Front half of intake manifold removed. Have to drain the coolant and then I will remove the throttle and the bottom half. I am removing all of the coolant lines to the throttle body as well. Trying to keep heat out of the intake. Here in Tampa I don't need any help with hot air.

The 25 degree RBC VTC actuator

I knew my rear motor mount was gone but I found my passenger side mount was destroyed as well when I removed it to access the timing chain cover.

Acura RSX Type-S 50 degree VTC actuator. I am limiting this to 45 degrees in Hondata. There is a lot of debate on whether or not this is actually "Safe" to use. From what I can tell I will be safe using it for now. I am sending out my RBB to be machined by King Motorsports to be physically limited to 45 degrees but unless I have some bad missed shift The RBC shouldn't be able to ever advance to 50 degrees on the high cam.

I also removed my Axles and my rear motor mount (no pics of that yet). Axles come in FedEx to Acura today for me to pick up along with my ZDX throttle body :thumb:

Hybrid-Racing ZDX adapter and thermal throttle gaskets came in on Saturday. Finally was able to see how much I need to open up the throttle bore.

That is all I got done over the weekend. I had a lot of other things going on as well. Tonight after work I am going to finish underneath the car and get the RSX Type-S oil pump installed, set timing, and close the motor back up. I'll also pop the new axles in which is a 5 minute job. Tuesday my Hondata thermal intake manifold gasket will be here and I'll install the RBC along with the ZDX throttle body. Hasport has shipped my rear mount but I they don't provide tracking information... that is the last piece that will be holding me up. The plan is to have the car back together to drive on Wednesday. With the Flashpro updated to the 45 degree VTC and the new manifold it should be a fun drive to work!

The one last concern I have is going to be getting some 3.5inch couplers and piping before IA to make the RBC line up with the Comptech Ice Box. I'm trying to avoid just slapping a cone filter onto the throttle body... but I may end up having to do it to make the drive up to Atlanta.
By EconoBox
#358679 No real progress since yesterday. I didn't feel like doing much after work today.

I finished swapping out the oil pumps and set timing.

For comparison here is the RSX Type-S oil pump next to the K24a2 oil pump. The RSX pump weighs in around 1 pound and the rotating part inside weighs much less than that. The TSX pump weighs almost 13 pounds and almost all of that weight is the balance shafts. A lot of people complain about the second order vibration at idle that comes with all 4 cylinder cars. These help to counteract the vibration that is more noticeable in larger engines. I personally have removed these balance shafts from my old H22 and from the K24 I had in my RSX and did not notice/wasn't bothered at all by any increased vibration.
By EconoBox
#358762 With a bunch of new work done and a fresh alignment I took the trip up to Atlanta for Import Alliance followed by a week in the mountains of NC/TN.

First impressions of everything:
Warning on my reviews: I've done most of these modifications before and had a pretty good idea of what to expect before buying the parts. The car does vibrate more and is louder all around than it was previously. That said I'll break down what did/does what and my opinions on the parts.

Removing the "balance shaft" oil pump
This modification is a pain in the ass to do with the motor in the car. Also it will make little to no difference if it isn't combined with more extensive modifications. This allows for better throttle response, as a result some back to back dyno runs on boosted K24s have shown as much as a 15 horsepower increase (in the low/midrange area) and an earlier spool.

Started the car up to idle after installing and with the AC OFF at idle the vibration difference isn't noticeable (to me) with the AC ON vibration is a bit more than stock. Went into Flashpro and bumped idle from 750rpm up to 900rpm and MAGIC it idles even smoother than before. I didn't do a before and after dyno for anything. I won't claim this is some magic 10-15hp gain. If I can't claim some magical horsepower number you might ask why I would bother removing the balance shafts... simple it definitely increased throttle response. I can blip the throttle and rev match a down shift now, which if you have driven a TSX you know is not a simple task with the stock DBW setup. Now with the Flashpro, lightweight flywheel and the balance shafts gone it feels like a different car.

Hasport TSX Rear Motor mount
With my stock rear and side mounts collapsed and plans of going turbo I got a Hasport rear motor mount. The mount comes with a re-designed bracket to attach to the engine. I changed to an RSX Type-S aluminum pan, but if I had kept the TSX pan the transmission brace would need trimmed to fit the new bracket. Hasport includes detailed directions and torque specs for the install. As always Hasport provided a great quality part with excellent machine work, great packaging, great instructions. I chose the 70a bushing which DOES increase vibration at idle and throughout the RPM range. I personally love the new feel from this mount. I still have a stock exhaust so the vibration/noise from this mount gives the car some extra feel it didn't have before. I'm sure a 60a mount with the balance shafts still in place would probably not have the same feel.

45 degree VTC gear
With what I had done so far to this point this literally does nothing. It will offer more freedom in tuning and this will make a difference with my next modification.

RBC (06-11 Civic SI intake manifold) and ZDX throttle body
I installed this with a Hondata thermal intake manifold gasket along with a Hyrbid-Racing ZDX throttle adapter and their thermal throttle body gaskets. I matched the intake manifold to the 70mm throttle and I removed and capped all of the coolant lines running to the throttle as well.
First impression (before updating flashpro, just running a reflash for a stock TSX 25 degree VTC and cold air)... what did I waste all this money on! Car felt like poo. Goodbye torque. The car still felt nice but it was just lacking until you got to 6000rpms then it pulled hard all the way up to redline at 7600. This is all a review by butt dyno which probably isn't the most accurate thing though.
After the first warm-up and test drive looking for leaks or issues everything was good :thumb: I pulled back in to the garage and broke out the laptop. New tune for the 45 degree VTC gear, RBC manifold, ZDX throttle....
Second impression: :love:
With the fixed/upgraded motor mount the engine doesn't move anymore so power delivery from any condition comes in fast and smooth. VTEC comes in at 3000rpms and from a dead stop or rolling into the gas in 6th gear the car just wants to go. I can't say if there is any real gain or loss in the lower RPM range. The throttle response and the increased sound from the new throttle make that really hard to judge down low. The car accelerated very smooth and has no lack of power. Top end is a whole new animal though. :love: :love: :love: :love:

Summary:
These modifications aren't for everyone but they all worked together very well for me. A week in the mountains testing everything out and having fun everything held up great and the car performed exactly how I hoped she would.

See next post for the bad news :thumbdown:
By EconoBox
#358763 BAD NEWS

I took a rock to the front lower control arm and ripped apart all of the drivers front suspension.
Was stuck behind some traffic and didn't see a huge rock in the road that the trucks in front of me didn't bother avoiding. I saw it... but it was too late. 600 miles from home and my balljoint had been pulled out of the socket (split in two) and the axle was in pieces and yanked out of the transmission. Ruined the driver side fender, sideskirt, wheel, and tire. A few hours later I had her back together on the side of a mountain road... try explaining to locals what you're doing with my whole tool kit out on the side of the road. Autozone luckily had the parts in stock and a 36mm socket rental to save me. I had all the rest of my tools with me. I'm glad I'm OK since I was going pretty fast when it happened. I was able to control the car off the road onto a pull off to jack her up and make the repairs. It could have been a lot worse.

With my back drivers wheel slapped on the front and a donut in the back. I got her fixed and made it all the way back to Tampa. Gotta get her fixed for Auto Combine next weekend. The alignment is ruined (The steering wheel is turned like 60 degrees now), killed all my tires driving home as well. New wheel is in the mail and I gotta figure out what tires I want to get this time :x Also gotta figure out what all shifted and if anything is bent.

Sorry I don't have a picture uploaded yet I limped her home all the way from Tennessee and made it back at 3am last night.
By EconoBox
#358775 Here is a picture. With the suspension being broken I was able to take the wheel off before jacking the car up off of the ground :lol:

Replacement wheel is on the way along with new tires. I'm debating what to do with the fender... It's taken off and hanging in my garage at the moment. I might make some tactical art style front fenders or buy another fender.

I have to get the car down to work with the new wheels and tires so I can pop it on the alignment rack and find out what is bent (if anything) or if everything just shifted from the accident.

By Driv-it-hard
#358786 The good news is that your ok . Keep the fender on the wall of memories. The day you broke and fixed her on the side of the road to get home 600 + miles..
My hat comes off to you.
Hope to see he up and running again.