If you have anything other than a 92-95 Civic, post it in here
By EconoBox
#361135 Update: Had dents on the body line on both rear quarters and had a little wave in the front fenders from rolling them. Here is where I am at in fixing the body lines. Car is getting really close to paint. I took a ton of pictures and will try to upload more when I can.

Passenger side: Finished smoothing body lines & ready for paint.

Driver's side: Work in progress, getting close.

And I also made it to the paint store to finish picking up all of my painting materials and supplies.
In the box there is sealer, basecoat, clearcoat, reducer, hardener, wax and grease remover, laquer thinner, TONS of automotive paint masking tape, & plastic paint masking material. I'm going to lay out all the supplies on my table at home and snap a pic of everything used. I'll also make a materials and price list for anyone looking to do a similar overall color change on their car.

Thats all for now.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Maybe in 2017 when I log on here you guys will be a little more active and the 'unread' posts tab won't be filled with Russian spam post. :?:
By EconoBox
#361136 Almost forgot! The wife had a piece of crap 2006 Scion XB that was falling apart and I didn't want to put any effort in to fixing it because it is the most uncomfortable, bumpy(Think riding a horse with no knees), plastic on everything interior car I've ever been in (And I love 80s Hondas)

So... I picked out a new car from work for her. Introducing our new 2016 Honda Civic 1.5T.
I picked out an EX(turbo) model so we got everything we wanted. Absolutely love this thing for a daily. It's also surprisingly quick.

Quick picture I took on the side of the road while we were on vacation.
By teal_dx
#361158 Damn, the new civics look amazing! Hard to believe what an economy car has evolved into in 15 years. So how long until lower + wheels? :wink:
By EconoBox
teal_dx wrote:Damn, the new civics look amazing! Hard to believe what an economy car has evolved into in 15 years. So how long until lower + wheels? :wink:

I tried already to have the wife pick a set of wheels she likes for it... she said "NO YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING TO MY CAR!" She wants to leave it all stock. Which, to be honest, is fine with me. The new civic is killer. I absolutely love the turbo 1.5 engine and the smart key.

And she loves the wheels I'm replacing on the TSX so that may happen eventually. As far as lowering that will never happen unless it goes on air suspension. She CAN'T drive a lowered car I'll be replacing the front bumper once a month. :lol:
By TrailerTrash
EconoBox wrote:
Which, to be honest, is fine with me.

does not compute :? :? :?

lol

EconoBox wrote: I absolutely love the turbo 1.5 engine and the smart key.

i must be out of touch with new automotive stuff cause i had no idea Honda started making a 1.5T and i have no idea what a smart key is :lol:
By EconoBox
#361164 :lol: TrailerTrash here's a crash course for you!

I really should just do a video review and post the youtube link here. Probably would do well on my website and interest you guys to see how far the Civic has come. Honestly this is the first Civic I have enjoyed driving since the EG chassis... and I've driven all of the models in between, even owned a 2008 SI.

Also if you're like me and drive 10+ year old Hondas these new ones seem even fancier. If you're used to driving Lexus LS430s and Mercedes its probably not as impressive.

Well keeping with standard Honda naming conventions it won't shock you the new engine is called the L15B7 atleast the version in the Civic . Variations of this engine will be powering most of the new platforms coming out. I expect the new SI to have the same engine as the 2017 CRV which is the L15BE (True 3 lobe VTEC intake cam with VTC only on the intake cam).

The new L15B7 is a pretty neat little engine:
-10.6:1 compression ratio
-16.5 psi boost from factory
-runs 87 octane (no need for premium or mid grade it loves the cheap stuff!)
-direct injected
-16 valve
-Dual overhead cam
-Dual VTC actuators ( like the K series but with independent control of exhaust AND intake cams)
-one cam lobe per cylinder so no true VTEC
-MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) turbocharger

This engine sits and rotates the same as K series engine so you can't just slap it in with a D series or B series transmission but I'm sure once it's affordable used people will find a way to swap it because it packs a punch and is a very small package. Honestly if I had an EG I would figure out how to put this in with the 6 speed that is now available in the 2017s. I'm seeing 41mpg highway in a car that's twice as big and heavy as the EG I can't imagine how perfect this would be for a daily driven EG. Also the car is in no way slow. This engine packs a surprising punch and is definitely underrated power wise from Honda (proven by Hondata already).

Also the new car has no gas cap! You just put the nozzle in and fill and that's it.

And the SMART key system is the push button start and keyless entry. The key never has to leave your pocket now. I can just walk up to the car and it unlocks for me. Then you just sit inside and push the brake and press the start button and go on your way. When you get out and shut the door you just tap a small black button on the door handle and the car locks (only if the key is outside of the car!) and you're all set. Here is a Honda link with some more info: http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8712-en

There is a ton of other features I've skipped like the awesome digital display cluster but that's for another post :thumb:
By TrailerTrash
#361165 well aint that some fancy shmancy stuff i didnt know lol

id love to swap that engine into an EG
By teal_dx
-10.6:1 compression ratio
-16.5 psi boost from factory
-runs 87 octane (no need for premium or mid grade it loves the cheap stuff!)
-direct injected
-16 valve
-Dual overhead cam
-Dual VTC actuators ( like the K series but with independent control of exhaust AND intake cams)
-one cam lobe per cylinder so no true VTEC
-MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) turbocharger

Whaaaaa :weee: K24who?
By EconoBox
#361169 Teal_dx Honda claims the 2016 Civic 1.5T makes 174hp and 162lbft or torque. Hondata strapped a CVT tranmission 1.5T to the dyno and found it made 177hp and 190lbft of torque.

So yes, this motor is impressive.

I'm sure in the next year or so we will start seeing some people push the limits of the engine since the 2017 model has a manual transmission option.

Also the really impressive thing about this engine, and probably why it feels so fast, is the torque 'curve' is very linear. There is no lag and the way the computer controls boost it doesn't feel like the old 1.5L engines where you have to have the RPMs up to move the car. In this you touch the gas and it GOES.
By EconoBox
#6908521 The TSX has been sitting for just about a year now. I decided somewhere along the way that I wasn't going to bring the car out until it was exactly how I wanted. I've been sticking to that.

Having said that... I couldn't quickly afford everything I wanted for the car. So I've been saving money slowly and just starting the car every couple of days to keep it healthy and charged. Heard a little timing chain rattle on start up last night so I'm going to be installing a new tensioner, chain guides, chain and going to order a King Motorsports 45 degree VTC to finish it off.

I just ordered all of the hardware to reassemble the car and then it will finally be off to the body shop for the finishing body work.

What the body shop is doing:
-Welding the rear quarter together, I cut and shaved the inside of the quarters to clear some meaty tires and the two layers need to be attached so the car won't rust or bend easily in that area.

-Custom hood. NO ONE makes an aggressive clean looking hood, that I like, for the TSX so I'm having it made. Maybe one day I'll be able to have someone make me a carbon version of my design.

-Paint the car and re-hang and align the panels with all new hardware. I am replacing all of the hardware on the car that is visible with Down Star bolts and their purple V3 washers. This includes all of the door hinge bolts, fender bolts, gas door, hood hinges, all the plastic clips in the front end... you get the idea. If you can see it it will be pretty. :woot:

And the depressing news is... I'm waiting to hear if the lip/body kit I want is available or not. I finally saved up and I may have to search to find it used now. I was going to wait and paint it all at once but I decided to go ahead and start getting this thing back together I really miss driving it and if it's available it's going to take up to 16 weeks to get here according to my vendor.
By teal_dx
#6908522 How may miles does she have now?
I'm interested to see how the welded quarters turn out!
You gonna make us wait until it's finished to see your hood design ideas :D :? :D
By EconoBox
#6908525 I'll look at the miles tonight I completely forgot it's been so long since I've actually moved this car from the garage it's just been idling on jack stands for 20-30 minutes every few days.

If you look up the Maxx Racing hood for the DC5 that's exactly what I'm going for. They just don't make that hood for the TSX. Will be painting the vents black and the hood the same color as the car.

The quarters are just shaved inside instead of rolling them flat. We will just be tacking around the inside to attach the two layers and working around until its a solid bead of weld. Then I'll sit there and grind and sand until its completely smooth inside. Should just be a nice smooth finish with plenty of room to fit some 255s.
By TrailerTrash
#6908531 make sure to post up some pics :thumb: