If you have anything other than a 92-95 Civic, post it in here
By EconoBox
#361004 I'm not a professional at the body work stuff I'm doing so I'm learning as I go from some friends who do this for a living and reading A LOT.

The basic idea is that my car is still all factory original finish. Being all original factory is a great starting point to work from. We know the paint is applied properly and isn't going to fall off so I can prep the paint and have the new color stick right to it without fear of the original finish coming back to cause issues. With unknown paint jobs you can't always count on the previous shops work to be a good starting point.

For Materials (since I know some people will ask) I bought supplies from Sherwin Williams automotive paint, FinishMaster, and Advanced Auto Parts (For sandpaper refills when I didn't wanna run back to the paint store 3M stuff works great).

Sandpaper for prepping the car
-80, 120, 220, 320, 400, 600 grit

Prep chemicals
-Duplicolor paint prep degreaser
-Lacquer thinner
-Tack cloth

Filler for prepping the car
-Rage (forget which type but I believe its the extreme light weight filler a gallon was over $60)
-Dolphin Glaze (only thing I bought at Finish Master)
-Kombi Spot Putty

Tools
6 inch sanding block
12 inch sanding block
6 inch DA sander
Air compressor
Ingersoll HVLP spray gun (for primer)

Materials
Haven't purchased anything other than 1 quart of 2k primer I will update this when I pick up the rest of my materials. Will probably be 3 quarts white sealer, 1.5 gallons of base, 1 gallon of clear coat.

The images I've posted don't show a step by step process since I have been doing the work myself and haven't really paused along the way since there is usually dust and supplies everywhere.

I will try to take some step by step pictures as I do the roof and hood and the process carries on to the rest of the car.
Last edited by EconoBox on Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By EconoBox
#361005 Here is the sanding blocks I'm using on this car. Different curves and areas require different shape block to sand but these seem to work very well with the hard lines of the TSX and the round edge on these fits the body line perfect for block sanding them. I do have some small pieces of wood I will use to sand the mirrors and some other small areas that the blocks can't get to.

I'm using Motor Guard sanding blocks, these slightly flexible models have a foam layer in the middle and are not perfectly rigid so even a car like the TSX where panels look large and flat this can follow the subtle curve to each panel.
http://www.motorguard.com/sur_1_11.html
By teal_dx
#361006 Congrats on getting married! Yeah, this place is slow lately. I don't even have time to check in daily like I used to.

So what's the new color gonna be? If it's worth the surprise, then I can wait for pics. Since your cat is black now, I wouldn't sweat not painting the bay. Black is the best color to have if you aren't going to paint the bay. :thumb:
By EconoBox
#361013 Thanks!

And I noticed its slow but I still like this forum over the troll fest and idiots you seem to find on other brand and model specific forums. However I have been noticing a bunch of Russian spam popping up. I also just like keeping a little running memory of the build. There has been some really stupid headaches with the car that have set me back on it. From a poor aftermarket motor mount design to misinformation that goes all around the wonderful internet (see next post I'll explain the 2 stories lmao).

And as for color I have it narrowed down to 3 choices. I basically have my mind 99.9999999% made up on it being one specific color but I just worry it may be a bit too much. I'll post a teaser once I pick it up and test paint the mirror caps. :drink:
By EconoBox
#361014 I previously mentioned some set backs in getting anything done with the car...

Several months ago I was driving and shifted gears and there was an unusual loud clunk when I shifted. I babied the car home knowing something was not right. I popped the hood to see my engine leaning to the passenger side and tipped back. The TSX Hasport rear motor mount had failed. This caused the weight to be placed on the passenger side motor mount completely destroying it. The design of the TSX rear mount from Hasport caused the motor mount to act as a lever and actually didn't fail itself... it block off a chunk of the block where it was bolted in. Basically to cut cost in development Hasport used the same motor mount T bracket design they use for all of their K swap kits and only redesigned the billet mount that it attached to. The problem with this is the TSX motor mounts hold the engine up... the motor doesn't hang from them like other designs. The design causes the T bracket from their design to act as a lever on the lower mounting bolt under stress (Like banging gears with a Stage 5 6 puck clutch) which broke the mounting tab on the block where it was bolted. I called Hasport and spoke to Steve (the owner) and he said they were aware of the issue and thought it had been a fluke that only happened on one other car. They had already redesigned a new mounting bracket and were trying to get it into production. Hasport cut, welded, powdercoated and overnighted the new bracket that wasn't even available yet to help me get my car fixed. While I was dissapointed that needed to be done I can't help but praise the incredible customer service and standing behind their product. As for the block it was just a transmission bolt point, while I'm not happy about it there shouldn't be any issues from it.

Problem:

Solution:
By EconoBox
#361016 And while it's not the final issue I'll have to address that last major problem was the drive by wire system.

The ZDX throttle is such a popular upgrade that multiple companies make adapters to install them to RBC manifolds. I got sucked into the hype because I could pick one up so cheap. Knowing full well that a big throttle body had no real benefit to my car.

The ZDX throttle fried the throttle position sensor on the firewall and fried the throttle body itself. Had to spend $200 on a new position sensor and put the stock throttle body back on and problem solved. Hondata is aware of the issue and advised me to not run and aftermarket or larger throttle on the TSX. The different throttle operate at a slightly different frequency (PWM Duty cycle) and pull slightly more current which mean they never really accurately keep up with commands from the ECU and can cause the issues like I experienced. Lesson learned.
By teal_dx
#361019 Sucks it happened with a quality part, but at least they took care of the problem by sending you a new part asap. Too bad the passenger mount is still destroyed though
By EconoBox
#361022 I am really happy that they took care of the issue. I'm still not thrilled with only having aftermarket front and rear mounts. The other 2 mounts were suppose to be in development and never having a bad experience with Hasport I chose to go ahead and get their mounts with the expectation that the passenger side mount would be released shortly and eventually a transmission mount (which no one makes yet). Also I'm using an Accord V6 side mount at the moment. Almost all the TL,TSX,Accord mounts are interchangeable, they all have different part numbers which I'm guessing is for stiffness. The Accord mount was significantly cheaper than the TSX mount and was suppose to be a temporary hold over until the release of the rest of the mounts. If they don't release them by the time I pull the engine to paint the bay and install the turbo kit I will be switching to the Innovative mount kit.
By EconoBox
#361023 Ok...

So I've decided to paint my car my favorite color. People are going to either love it, or hate it. I doubt anyone can remain neutral with my choice. That said I don't care. Its my car :fucker:

I've gone and picked up a sample today to test it out and make sure the color was mixed correctly because stealing Lamborghini color codes and converting them to other paint lines isn't the easiest task. The color I've chosen is called 'Verde Scandal' and it's a special option when ordering several newer Lamborghini models. Due to the amount of yellow pigment required this paint is silly expensive even in the paint line I've chosen. In Sherwin Dimensions the base coat alone is $471.00 per gallon [smilie=BangHead.gif] So here's to hoping I don't mess anything up and need more. I've also chosen this color because it is a solid color... NO pearl, metallic, flakes. Nothing fancy means touch up work in the future is fantastic and won't require repainting half the car to fix a rock chip or door ding.

So here is a picture of the car where I saw the color in person for the first time. I'm going to try to paint a mirror cap this weekend to see the color on a part in person, will be some motivation to keep working hard on this.

Also I am replacing all of the trim and molding on the car with new pieces, wrapping the chrome around the windows in the same vinyl used for the pillar garnish, and I have to pick out some new wheels...
By TrailerTrash
#361026 that color is going to look sweet. sucks about the parts problems but theres no way you could have known ahead of time ya know?

i cant wait to see the new color and new wheels :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
By EconoBox
#361029 Thanks Teal_dx! I've been working on one too! Needed something to help me pick the new wheels. I'm eliminating all of the chrome/silver from the car. As I'm sure you know the pillars on the TSX have 3M vinyl on them for the matte black look between the windows. I got matching 3M vinyl to wrap the chrome around the windows. I've also purchased one Acura RDX door handle (They are all chrome and people put them on the TSX) I'm going to disassemble it and see if I can chemically strip the chrome using a technique model car builders use of soaking it in 'Super Clean' for a few minutes. Unfortunately paint doesn't stick to sanded chrome plating so this is my best chance at color matched handles. If this doesn't work I'll paint match the handles and wrap the chrome strip in the black vinyl.

I just took the Mugen catalog image and traced it and re colored it. I can't decide if I want the Mugen high wing or old style lip spoiler... And I've changed my mind from the Mugen kit and ordered the A-Spec lip kit already and a Mugen grill. I may piece order the Mugen kit in the future I just have better uses for that amount of money at the moment. I am shaving all the emblems from the car and tinting the tail lights as well, not going black like the render just wanna dull down the red a bit. I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting but as stuff shows up I'm sure I'll have pictures to post.

This is a 5 minute version. Really sloppy line work and coloring just wanted and idea of the color with the kit. I plan to go back and make a photo realistic render before actually spraying the car.
By EconoBox
#361030 Some small progress this weekend. Got caught up doing decorating and Christmas stuff with family.

Passenger mirror off and disassembled. The mirror is an awful design. 2 minutes to take a part but the wire harness for the mirror has to be de-pinned to remove it from the mirror. I sanded off all of the plastic casting marks from the mold used to make the mirror and also sanded off all the Honda markings and part numbers stamped to the bottom of the mirror.

Sanded:

Primed and re sanded:

And I also got the trunk removed and started to work on the inside edges to prep them for paint.

And I forgot to take a picture but I finished removing the passenger side handles and moldings off. But this is how she sits before that happened.

I'm sure I'll have more updates every day. The plan is to get the car fully apart and in primer before this weekend. That way I can re block the car with 600 grit to double check everything before it goes in to paint around the 17th.
By EconoBox
#361091 This weekend was a blast... I DIDN'T touch the car at all except to drive her partially in primer to Winterfest (big car show by I Love Driving Slow). CourtesyFlush, my car club, ended up winning best team quality (no thanks to the TSX :lol: ) and a $500 cash prize that we used to go out to dinner and celebrate. A couple weeks ago was HIN Tampa and I took some pics which you can see here http://courtesyflushsquad.com/HIN-TAMPA-2016/

Now back to the TSX:
I'm finally done sanding the exterior of the car. I'm now taking apart and removing everything. The only things left on the car when I'm done will be what in the engine bay, the windshield, and the back glass. This will limit tape lines and problems masking and overall lead to a better paint job. I'll try to snap some pics as I work tonight and start getting the car apart.

The plan is to tow it to the paint booth location on Saturday or Sunday with all the parts. My painter will then have the weekend and all next week if necessary to get the car sealed, painted, cleared, and to re-hang and align all the panels.