If you have anything other than a 92-95 Civic, post it in here
By teal_dx
#229270 I got tired of always having to borrow a truck so I started looking for a cheap 80's or early 90's toyota in summer of 2009. After driving all over NE Ohio and looking at a bunch of rusted out frames, cabs and beds, I took a break from the search but still browsed craigslist from time to time.

Last week I was browsing ebay and looked at toyota trucks on there and found this 1985 2-3 miles from my house! '85 was the last year of the solid front axle, so they are highly sought after, especially since so many have rusted in half. I looked at the truck and the frame was the best looking old toyota frame I have ever seen so I bought it! The cab only has 1 rust hole the size of a quarter and the bed is mint. It's built to me more of an offroad machine than I need but I can't pass this truck up. The guy took excellent care of it.

22R engine
5 speed
166000 mi.
35"Cepek Mud Country tires
5.29 yukon gears
IFS rear axle w/ARB air locker
Front axle has a Aussie locker
Sky offroad widening kit with '86 IFS hubs (wider front track)
wider rear axle from '88 pickup
land cruiser vented rotors and v6 calipers
transfer case has Front Range offroad twinstick
Procomp 4" suspension lift
2" 4crawler body lift on the cab
home made lift on the bed
frame coated with with POR15

I still can't believe I found this truck! My wife hates it lol.
I plan on buying some 33x10.5R15 tires and putting them on some tacoma wheels for daily driving. 35" mud tires get horrible MPG...

I'll get some more pics soon
Last edited by teal_dx on Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By Ajax1989
#229274 looks nice

congrats on finally finding one :thumb:
By Classiccarsrule85
#229304 looks good and looks good in the garage as well and yea bigger tires =shitty gas mileage i wonder why all these cars now adays are moving towards a larger rim size anyhow nice indestructible truck!
By speedracer1094
#229361 Dude thats an awesome truck!! Ive always wanted a old 80s toyota 4x4 ever since i saw that black one on back to the future!! How much did you pay??
By teal_dx
#229505 $3k, The mods alone almost cost that! :thumb:

I filled up today and checked mileage... I'm shocked that I got 19 mpg with these 35" mudders. The truck loses speed coasting down hill on the highway :lol:
By ohDirka
#230569 did you happen to buy that around Wooster? I knew a kid in highschool that had one just like that.
By teal_dx
#230650 Found it near Homerville. This guy owned it since 2004, only putting 2k miles on it in ~6 yrs. It was from southern OH before that and had no bed on it.

I have seen another red Yota like this on rt. 224 a few times. Same clean body, red, but not xtra cab. I saw him selling it on CL earlier this year in Wadsworth, it was one of the rare turbo models. Same truck?
By ohDirka
#230715 Nope the kid I knew was from Wooster and it wasnt the turbo model
By Carfanatic
#230716 BAAAAMM!! That is big :D
By OleFolk
#235752 YES amazing I love these things
You are going to have so much fun :thumb:
Oh also now you will dominate the ohio winters :lol:
By 1ACarlos
#235766 Good ol' 22R. Best engine ever at least when it comes to how long these things last. A few years ago I was working at a local parts store and a guy came for parts for his 83' The body was mostly rotted but the engine had 750k and still sounded good.