Post YOUR Del Sol here
By the ghoul
#128226 thank you all,
basically go out to any major auto parts store, any hardwear store, any home improvement store and any craft store
buy the following at each
auto parts:
-woven fiberglass matt
-'chop' fiberglass matt
-fiberglass resin
-body filler
-glazing or 'finishing' putty
- sand paper (150 and 220 grit)
home improvement store
- 3/4" MDF (medium density fiberboard)
- saber saw (if you donot have one)
- 1/8" or thicker wood dowel (3 foot (ish) lengths)
hardwear store
-disposible brushes
- paint mixing buckets (small disposible plastic ones)
- laytex gloves
crafts store
- fleace fabric ( thin, absorbant, must be very stretchy, preferibly a very gay pattern)
- hot glue gun
- siccisor set
- a small tuperwear bin ( for the leftover fiberglass)

-basically you use the mdf and the wood dowels to make the structure of what ever you want to make (cut a ring for a subwoofer and use the hotglue and dowes to suspend it where ever you want)
-stretch the fabric over it and hotglue it in place
-soak the fabric with resin
-after resin hardens flip your creation over and cover the back side with a bunch of layers of fiberglass bits (dosent have to be full sheats, just cut up scraps will work, you will never see this side so dont worry, be messy) make sure to place alot of fiberglass holding the ring for support
- after the backing resen is hardned smooth out the face of your creation with body filler and glazing putty as directed....

it honestly is that simple...
all it takes is some pratce and imagination...

speaking off,
the facad layer was hardened so i flipped it over and stuffed scrap chop matt in ever nook and cranny i could and soaked it in resin, making sure not to get any on the inside of the pvc rings.
By the ghoul
#128280 here is a little trick for all who want to fiberglass...its called the 'milk shake'
this has worked well for me in the past... basically you mix up some body filler in the resin till you get something nice and thick (thick enough so it gives you coverage but not thick to the point that it wont level out once applied). once you get a good consistancy add the body filler hardener and resen hardenener, mix up and apply....

i like this becase i hate working with body filler, its too thick and nasty and always ends up drying out half way thru the process.

that and you have to do alot of sanding to reveal the contours you wanted...
By chrono404
#128289 That Gauge pod will be sick when done.
Awesome DIY Work. :thumb:
By the ghoul
chrono404 wrote:That Gauge pod will be sick when done.
Awesome DIY Work. :thumb:

hey thanx!
im very pleased with it so far...
i got the first sanding (with 150 grit) done, got some thick sandable primer on it..
By Ajax1989
#128351 looks awesome dude :thumb:
By the ghoul
94_jdm_ferio wrote:looks awesome dude :thumb:

thank you very much!
i think its comming along nicely... i just cant wait for all the *correct* guages to show up so i can be total ricer boy and have a boost guage not connected to any thing!
might just put a barbed fitting onto my CAI so i can see how much my car sucks! :lol:

OK two quickies,

test fitted the pod, very snug but looks great.

i touched up the little spots still left with some glazing putty. tomorrow i will sand it down, and shoot some semi-gloss black on it and call it good for now...

I took a min or so and sanded down the extra set of tail lights and shot them with some rc car window tint....

They were already painted a red at one time? and had some stickers stuck to them... well i didnt prep them all that great and some sticker gum got left behind, but they will work for now until i get some cheap-o clears that i can spray tint...

By eg_turbo_hatch
#128360 looks like everything is coming along very nicely :thumb:
i really like the gauge pod 8)
By the ghoul
eg_turbo_hatch wrote:looks like everything is coming along very nicely :thumb:
i really like the gauge pod 8)

thank you,
i think its a much better solution to the over used a pillar mount...
i think since there is so much intrest in this i might just start a how-to thread for it...
be a good way to teach basics of fiberglassing at the same time....
BTW,
did the finish sanding and painted it flat black...
will have some pics up tomorrow when it goes into place
By the ghoul
#128401 guage pod painted and installe,
tail lights installed,
car clean for onece!
looking forward to the bbq's this afternoon!
pic thru the windshield
By chrono404
#128438 That is a Professional Quality DIY Peice for Sure. The End Result is just insane. I love the way each pod flows into the next. If I saw that at a Honda Meet I would think you bought it from a Pro tuning shop or something. Still cant express how impressed I am buy this.

I am looking forward to seeing what you do next. :thumb:
By the ghoul
chrono404 wrote:That is a Professional Quality DIY Peice for Sure. The End Result is just insane. I love the way each pod flows into the next. If I saw that at a Honda Meet I would think you bought it from a Pro tuning shop or something. Still cant express how impressed I am buy this.

it actually looks like it needs a bit more refining in real-life, but thank you!
it was a fun little on-and-off weekend project
eg_turbo_hatch wrote:looks great :thumb: it almost looks factory 8)

oh man that tares it, i was 50/50 but now i gotta carbon wrap it!!
By eg_turbo_hatch
the ghoul wrote:
chrono404 wrote:That is a Professional Quality DIY Peice for Sure. The End Result is just insane. I love the way each pod flows into the next. If I saw that at a Honda Meet I would think you bought it from a Pro tuning shop or something. Still cant express how impressed I am buy this.

it actually looks like it needs a bit more refining in real-life, but thank you!
it was a fun little on-and-off weekend project
eg_turbo_hatch wrote:looks great :thumb: it almost looks factory 8)

oh man that tares it, i was 50/50 but now i gotta carbon wrap it!!

haha i think that carbon wrap will look hot to! :thumb:
By the ghoul
#129095 got some bits in exchange for some of mine

- ITR front and rear sways

- energy suspension poly bushing set

- extra fenders

- even more intirror bits!

- after market shifter linkage with short throw

- no-name rear strut bar

also...

the correct guage got here today, so installed both the boost and af guage.. now waiting on the oil pressure to show.

i think they will look alright

so here is my wicked high tech heater block of plate

serriously, i didnt feel like doing any thing fancy, no one will ever see it cheap, quick, and will work..

so during the day

and lit up at night