Post YOUR Del Sol here
By the ghoul
#125413 hey all
you might remember my last car
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=996 ... sc&start=0
i have rarely mad it over to this side of the world but i figgured i should share my new car!(swpped even up for the old one)
as you can see from the pics... she needs some body work... and im just the man for it. all the backing metal is solid, i just need to source out the sheet metal and get to welding!
i couldnt stand it one day without changing something...
i just had to black out the tail pan

the plan is to keep building the b18a i started working on and use the b16 head, with gsr vavles and slap that turbo kit i got onto it!

it should be fun on a bun!
By teal_dx
#125423 you've got a solid foundation for a nice project car :thumb:
There has got to be a place somewhere out there that sells panels... besides honda who will charge you an arm and a leg
By the ghoul
egsedanguy wrote:damn man. lol that was quick. shit you just had the hatch and had all thes plans now you got a sol... clean man. just dont put a teg front on this one :thumb:

s13?
then it can be a cross gender!
been looking around and the best look for this car IMO is a horrably ricy body kit.....
its like your chesty cousen....
so wrong... but so damn good :hehe:
im just gonna fix the rust, shave the door handels, and paint match the repairs for now till i get the power plant done.
we will see how it plays from there
By egsedanguy
the ghoul wrote:
egsedanguy wrote:damn man. lol that was quick. shit you just had the hatch and had all thes plans now you got a sol... clean man. just dont put a teg front on this one :thumb:

its like your chesty cousen....
so wrong... but so damn good :hehe:

lol funny because i got one of those lol :thumb:
By thecrow
#125696 ive seen this car around. did you just pick it up from a college kid? hfcc maybe. he used to wait for me to try and race me. hahah
By the ghoul
thecrow wrote:ive seen this car around. did you just pick it up from a college kid? hfcc maybe. he used to wait for me to try and race me. hahah

younger guy, but i dont think he was still in college.
I picked it up in westland from a guy that buys and sells these on a regular basis. he said when he got this one the head was shot so he had the head re-built, new timing belt put in ect...
so could very well be that he bought it from that kid?

well ive been trying to track down replacment metal :thumbdown:
sucks that no one makes any!
ive got three options at this point
#1 find a delsol door shell and cut it up; body contour seems to stay uniform from the front of the door to the front of the rear wheel well, so i can use the metal from the door as patch panels. this would also work out because i plan on shaving the door handels (more for security than looks) and i can cut metal patches from the door to cover that too!
#2 find an outfit down south that scraps these and try to explain what sheet metal i need, see if they can cut it and ship it
#3 (my least favorite) take one of the doors off the car,and fabricate fiberglass patch panels out of it, then graft those patches in... this is my least favorite because i live in michigan... the summers get real hot and the winters get real cold... im affraid the fiberglass to metal joint will expand, contract, and crack after a while...

i think ive made up my mind on color.... i love the idea of white with a blue tinted pearl coat over top and blue carbon kevlar wrappings on the hood, rear window trailing panels, license plate filler pan, and intirror....
it was a coin toss between that and samba green with green carbon kevlar wrapped items... im just affraid the green carbon kevlar will be too bright and look real goofie!
By thecrow
#125765 i bet he bought it from that kid. if it has/had a del sol vinyl on the rear window its definatly the car. it blew a little smoke also, so that could have been the head problem. idk i like the car and goood luck!
By the ghoul
thecrow wrote:i bet he bought it from that kid. if it has/had a del sol vinyl on the rear window its definatly the car. it blew a little smoke also, so that could have been the head problem. idk i like the car and goood luck!

yep, thats the one, read letters with mirrored centers to the e and o placed under the tint so you cant remove it without peeling off the tint in the rear window :x

basically a good car, only, im having an issue with it already. I think the radiator cap is bad.
yesterday when sitting in traffic the tep guage just started bumping up over half and there was steam comming from under the hood.
popped the hood and the fan wasnt running and there was steam comming out of the overflow bottle.

there is no burnt sugar smeall comming from the exhaust so i doubt its the head gasket again...

either the temp guage is wrong and the thing was over-heating like crazy, or the radiator cap is bad,
or the coolent that was put into the engine was mostly watter and boiled off....

car is parked at my parents place, im using my dads pickup till sunday. Ill buy a pressure testing kit and see what i can see....

I have the feeling its the cap simply because it dosent do it when the temp is under the half way point... if it was venting from too much built up pressure from a head gasket leak than it stands to reasion that it would be doing it when the car is cold..... er... either that or it IS doing it when the car is cold but you dont notice it because it hasent gotten hot enough to create steam!

head gasket seems very unlikely because the head was just re-done, if it is a leak than its bad news bears, that means either the head is cracked, or the block is warped..

ah well, little things...
if i gotta move the time table up a little for the engine swap, ill just get a set of stock sized forged pistons and throw the b18a back together and just run the stock b16 head....
maybe with the gsr cams....
the cheap ebay turbo kit at most! :thumb:
By the ghoul
#127627 Had a few hours before the wife got home so I figgured id knock these out.
I recieved my order from superbrightleds.com of 10 T1.5-x instrument LED bulbs in blue. They also sell them in green, red,ect..
I wanted to go blue with the dash lights because the faded white/yellow wasnt cutting it, that and the guages i picked out have a blue illumination option, and the radio head unit lights up blue...
The bulbs were only $1.79 each, they come with resisters intigrated into them which will cut down on the heat they put out (prolonging the life of the plastics). Each one of the led bulbs i bought comes with a black twist in instrument holder.
If you have all the holders from your stock lights these are not needed and you can order the led bulbs seprate for less...
ah well, live you learn right?
I also messed up on the number. to do the cluster you need 7 bulbs and to do the heater controles you only need two (without holders).
I am very impressed with the results, best mod ive found for under $25
installation was streight forward... only tricky thing was getting the heater controles out.
you have to unhook the heater cable from the heater box under the dash, remove radio and center councle to gain access to the one screw holding the controles in place. Every thing else is just untwist the old bulbs twist in the new ones...
The dimmer dile actully works with these bulbs but in a very limited range.
Only other odd thing about these bulbs is they are directional and current will only flow thru them in one direction. if you twist them in and they dont work, take them out, turn them 180* and twist them back in.
the next project is turning my center heater vents into a guage pod..
stay tuned.
By 92egdxhatch
#127633 looks good so far, love the blue gauges 8) thats next on the list for my hatch :thumb:
By thecrow
#127694 how do you like the blue while driving? seems like it would be kind of dull. maybe thats just the pics. but i like where you headed once again keep up the good work