Post YOUR Sedan here

Which should I tackle first?

25%
38%
38%
By andyisftw
#185094 What's up eg posters? I'm Andy, from Ohio. I started off with a '93 DX hatch with 266,XXX. it had full catback, sleeve overs, short ram intake, and stage 2 clutch - all ebay. and in February 2010, I traded for my '94 LX sedan.

Here's the bonestock rundown:

356,XXX - D15B7 (stock trans.)
short ram intake
steel wheels

And that is it, haha. Sadly though, my exterior is pink my interior is gray and a dirty gray at that.

I do, however, have some big plans for my car.

• jdm spec front fenders
  • jdm amber fogs + corners
  • password:jdm 3 pt. (front), 2 pt. (rear)
  • Ground Control + Koni Yellows setup
  • black or white Rota Slipstreams

And of course small touch up pieces and parts.

Last edited by andyisftw on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Pg.99
#185153 I started off with something very similar to this... and based on that this is what I'd advise:

Give it a service

If you're planning on keeping either unit and either the engine/gearbox oil and filters are due for changing, get it done. It's neccesary, and it'll thank you for it. Use a genuine Honda oil filter!

Get the body sorted

Unless there is anything mechanical that is clearly on its way out, get the body sorted. Rear arches/sills/bottom of doors (looks like yours has gone here)/drivers door apature and anywhere it's had a knock are likely to rust and should be tackled before it gets any worse. Do the little things aswell, like get some satin black spray and do the wiper arms if they're all faded and nasty for instance, and get some interior shampoo on your grubby interior. No one likes this bit, but it needs doing so best to just get it all out of the way as soon as. Get Honda to order you up a touch up paint too.

Make sure it stops

Next up I would tackle brakes if they are shot, for obvious reasons. Some fresh disks and pads with new fluid are a great thing if you're running on old worn out stuff, especially if you take the oppertunity to upgrade to braided lines at the same time (One of the most effective mods for the money you can make - highly reccomended). If you have any seized callipers you could either try and find a rebuild kit for it, or for a bit more an aftermarket exhange calliper.

No one listens to tapes anymore

You may want to throw a cd headunit in if the previous owner hasn't.

Grip is good

Next I would order your wheels and tyres. If it's got cheapo tyres on like mine did, then this is the biggest single effect you're going to have on your cars handling of anything you do to the car. If your serious about performance in the corners, then invest in a good set of tyres. I also went for Rotas, wrapped in T1-R Toyo's (195/50/15). If you can get those tyres there then I highly recommend them, if not then I'd say just get the highest performing tyre your budget allows as the cornering and stopping benefits are enourmous if you do.

Suspension

If they havn't been changed, your trailing arm bushes will be pretty dead. This is a common thing on our cars and a bit of a pain to do, but get it done and you wont have to worry about it again.

If you're running low on funds at the suspension stage but want the car lower you could chop your springs. I used to laugh at this approach but have since found so long as you dont go mad and chop too much off and use the correct method to do it, then this is actually an effective no/minimal cost modification.

However, if you can afford it jump straight to:

Shocks and springs and a wheel alignment. Don't put off getting the alignment done as your tyres will wear unevenly until you do (I did, and sure enough, this did happen). Unfortuantely we don't have any camber adjustment as standard, so I put Buddy Club front and rear camber arms on my car to solve this. There are less expensive ones available however.

Engine/Gearbox/Interior/Chassis bracing/Dress up items

I would then go on to this, whichever is priority for yourself. I fell into the trap of buying fancy dress up items when my car still looked a mess, don't let yourself get tempted! getting your car back up to a nice standard is going to initially cost a lot of money, and that fancy oil cap/gear knob/rad cap etc soon adds up, trust me... you will regret it when faced with a big labour bill.

I hope that helps. It's a bit of a mountain early on but if you're determined then you'll come away from it with a really nice car.

Have fun!
By egsedanguy
#185178 well u have a good base. but to be honest its up to you.. you drive it every day. ask your self this...

do i want a good motor and trans with a beat up car???
do i want good handling but no balls in the motor?
or all show and no go or performance????

i would do what needs replacing first.. cant really have your cake and eat it at the same time..
By andyisftw
#185284 pg.99 - great little read.. thanks for the tips. i'm not super new to the Honda scene, but still noobie enough to need some guidance.

egsedanguy - i think i'm going to get the body sorted out first and painted, so if i do decide to sell or part out if the motor dies and i give up, i have a solid rolling chassis. then probably suspension/wheels and tires. then drive her until she dies? haha, idk. i guess i'll cross that bridge when i get to it.
By Ajax1989
#185627 nice start!

ya just get the car runnin tits..
whats the pt of this and that id the car dont run :D

cant wait to see this come along
nd my 2cent leave the car that oem purple
they look dope dumped out :thumb:
By andyisftw
#185628 i just wanna run it until it dies, then probably b16 swap it. as for paint.. i'm so torn as to what i want to do with it. the color is kinda rare for a tuner but then again i am in love with this maroon i found today.. what to do? :?
By Ajax1989
#185630 lol im in the same boat
i can get free paint but its not the color i want.. but its free..lol

ya a b16 is a good swap
By andyisftw
#185631 free paint would be so awesome.. i'll probably just end up going white or black because i've got a buddy who may be able to snag that for me from his work.

i'm actually reading up on your build now.
By Ajax1989
#185633 ya white egs are sick.. i like the panda style so i have to have some black
ya my build is really slow but shes slowly gettin there 8)
By andyisftw
#185634 i really dig on the panda theme myself, but around here.. EVERYONE does it. so, i'm just gonna go off the wall yet tasteful.
By marquisdee1018
#185655 I would do engine first. What's the point of having a pretty car that runs like crap? :?
By andyisftw
marquisdee1018 wrote:I would do engine first. What's the point of having a pretty car that runs like crap? :?
my car doesn't run like crap. i just runs like a daily.
By egsedanguy
andyisftw wrote:
marquisdee1018 wrote:I would do engine first. What's the point of having a pretty car that runs like crap? :?
my car doesn't run like crap. i just runs like a daily.

haha nice. ya most the egs run forever. my single slamer had 300+k miles on it and still ran good.
By tealej1
#187092 I love the color you should keep it pink and find some nice oem rims to put on and work on cleaning or swapping interior. Then do the swap or what ever else you think needs done. A fast car with no looks is not a good idea in my opinion.
By Wicked Customs
tealej1 wrote: A fast car with no looks is not a good idea in my opinion.

A slow car with good looks is a horrible idea. Make it a hella sleeper.