Post YOUR Coupe here
By jefferydclark
#341082 this is some crazy stuff. how did you come across all these odd parts? the door adjar thing...nice touch. i'd like further info.
By HiTec
teal_dx wrote:Quality of this build is amazing! I'm seeing parts that I didn't even know existed :thumb:

Hahah, thanks! I just do my best :) And its nice to own some really rare parts that others dont have. These 5 gens have a unbelievable factory/dealer options. Its possible to build just that kind of car that you like. Its just costly, but possible.

jefferydclark wrote:this is some crazy stuff. how did you come across all these odd parts? the door adjar thing...nice touch. i'd like further info.

I have hunted all these parts for about 1,5 - 2 years and ordered them all around the world. USA, Canada, Latvia, Poland, Germany, UK, Japan, Malaysia etc etc. Malaysia is a great place to find many rare parts to these cars :)
By bietelboer
#341114 WOW! what an awesome build! :woot:
By beanie
#341316 Wow how long is all this over?
By HiTec
#341799 I cant say how long this will take. And i dont care. I just want to do things correctly :)

Updates:

Blue(ish) tinted mirror inserts arrived, also the heat pads and prototype pcb stuff and other different things.

I first thought to buy genuine Spoon Hydro Blue inserts, but there was couple of things why i dont like them. I read that they are (are they?) designed to RHD car, so the other mirror is convex and other is flat? Then some people say that the tape they have is very poor, and they are designed to install on top of the original mirror glass.

Spoon Sports Blue Wide Mirror inserts are a great upgrade to your exterior without spending a lot of money ( :D ). Instead of buying complete mirrors, these inserts go into your factory housing. *NOTE: EK version is only for the JDM folding mirrors. Will not fit USDM mirrors! Hurry! Supplies are limited.

They are also pretty dam pricey (142 euros + shipping), so I ordered same kind of blue tinted mirror glass from UK. The difference is that it cost only 20 euros. I wont get any JDM points from that in shows, but whatever. Both mirrors are convex.

I wasnt able to capture the blue tint any better than this, sorry:

Comparison:

Heat pads installed:

Finished product:

Then we jump to my custom "ICU" for between the alarm and car electronics.

Almost ready:

I still need couple of connectors. When they arrive, i will then coat the pcb and its ready. The green little connector slot is for rear defrog switch. Because i dont have space for rear defrog switch the system must be automatic. I designed that rear defrog part of the custom ICU so it accepts the rear defrog switch harness without any modifications. So if you some day want to put the switch back, just unplug the harness from the custom ICU and plug it back to the switch :)

Then we jump to the clusters. There were _many_ differences between JDM SiR and EDM/CDM/USDM cluster parts, so this wasnt so easy job to do that i first thought it would be:

SiR (black) EDM DXi/LSi/ESi (white) cluster bezel; notice that the clear plastic rings are missing and there is a difference in the gauge "lip" height (black bezel has a smaller lip):

Then to some modifications that i needed to make to get the needles lit up with OEM style: Every EDM/USDM/CDM gauge had to be disassembled completely to remove the gauge faces. Then the speedo and tachometer faces center hole had to be drilled bigger, so it would accept the JDM SiR clusters clear plastics, that controls the light to the needles etc. The hole diameters for the speedo and tacho is 11mm. For the temp and fuel face its 9mm. You also need to drill couple of additional holes to edges of the gauge faces, because otherwise the black faces wont center correctly to JDM SiR clear plastics. The additional holes are visible in the next pic. Holes are between the 100km/h and 110km/h mark and between 220kmh/ and 230km/h mark. White SiR and black VTi clusters have these clear plastics inside them. Other model clusters dont have them in speedo or tacho, only behind the temp and fuel face (and they are different type than SiR or VTi).

This pic shows the "JDM" clear plastic back:

Then i needed to lower 2 screw locations from the CDM speedo, because VTi/SiR gauges sit couple of mm:s higher than "normal" gauges. The reason for this is the clear plastics between the faces and gauges.

(I already snapped the parts before i took the pic, sorry!)

Before filing them even:

Quick test:

Comparison:

Tachometer clear plastic:

(In this picture you can also see the nylon washers that i needed to make. Otherwise the gauge face would have been dented when tightening the face screws. The reason for this is that these "normal" cluster faces have screws on front of them and JDM faces have screws between the face and clear plastics:

There was also differences between SiR and normal clusters door open indicator. SiR door open indicator housing is taller:

There was also differences in fuel and temp clear plastics:

I also needed to assembly the gauges to the SiR cluster frame, because the gauges with clear plastics wont fit correctly to the "normal" cluster frame.

Then some quick tests with old bulbs. Also the needles are not pressed all the way in, because i needed to calibrate them. Also the screws are not tightened and the front cover has some scratches so it looks like the light leaks somewhere (it really doesnt):

In my opinion it looks good enough. I cant do better cluster than this from OEM EG parts. ofc the amber or red leds will give some look to it, and front plastic needs to be buffed etc.

Comparison pics.

This is same looking (not the exact same) cluster than where i started:

This is how it looks now:

The best part of the donor SiR cluster is that it came with the low fuel light compatible fuel sender :)

Thanks for watching!
By jusshatched
#342116 I never get on this site but I was bored and looking for inspiration for my build. Your thread is awesome, so many cool little mods! Its good to see someone who knows how to do quality work. Im going to make a thread for my build on here, check it out and let me know what you think.

P.S. - Im half Finnish. Represent. :)