Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By cjw_89
#353917 hey everyone. My car is being a real pita this season. It's a 93 SI hatch. B18b1,dsm 450 injectors,td04h turbo,Greddy bov,tial wg,vacuum block. Engine has stock internals. I had my buddy retune her today and all was fine. I let her cool off and took her for a run again and my idling issues are still there. The idle at cold start is 17+ but when we tuned it earlier that day(I picked him up car was at op temp) we tuned the car and all was fine... My question is how much affect does the coolant play in the turbo scene. I am having heat issues. The car likes to give me very little. It doesn't go down on coolant,it doesn't over heat,it ready normal temp on gauge. But it just doesn't throw the heat it should. should I get him to tune the car while it's cold and see where that leads me. I forgot to mention,the car is running off a chipped p28 with ostrich 2.0 on supreme gas 91 octane. it seems like the car can't make up its mind what way it wants to idle. If driving down the road and come to a stop it goes to --- for a second maybe 2 and slowly trickles down to 14.3-15.3. That was at op temp. Now that it's cooled off and he isn't around to re alter the tune(of course my luck lol) the car reads --- cold idle and it don't want to run like it did at all when it was at op temp. If I have t stat issues with the car giving me little heat would that fuck my AFRs that much.!? I really need some input here. I'm not into throwing money at a problem that is not it. Has anybody had this bs happen it's stressin me out. Shoulda kept my b20 Teg on the road and enjoyed trouble free n/a lol
By EconoBox
#353927 Post the Chrome BIN file or PM me for my email and I'll take a look. EGT, IAT temperatures all have an effect on everything. As far as seeing the gauge show "--"(aka full lean condition) when you let off of the throttle that is completely normal. The fuel injectors actually turn off under that condition until your engine reaches whatever your tuner programmed as the moving idle speed (usually around 1400rpm).

Your gauge may read full lean on startup but many gauges take a minute to warm up and the sensor and won't accurately display a reading immediately. 15-17 afr at idle is safe (as long as you don't have pinging) and a lot of tuners do this to help in the fuel economy department.