Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By J-rodSmitty
#353020 Planning to build a d16z6 for a turbo kit. If any one has boosted one any advice or tips on building the motor for it would help.
By teal_dx
#353022 What is your budget and HP goal?
I'd do a full rebuild (assuming yours has high miles) and go with forged rods & pistons, ARP head studs, maybe bore .020 dependig on the condition of your cyl. walls, and a clutch good for the power you want to make. Most important thing is fuel management and a good tune. :thumb:
By J-rodSmitty
#353025 Really don't have a budget, Plan to buy stuff here and there. Already got into tearing motor apart and gonna send block and head for cleaning and such. But id like to see around 300hp. Never built a motor for boost or any motor. New to this. But I just bought a 94 civic coupe and the guy gave me a spare motor w/trans and turbo kit. It is a ebay turbo kit so I plan to upgrade some of the components of the kit. But not sure about what internals to use. It will be my daily driver so I wanna take my time and do it right!
By iLLson
#353027 RODS

main thing needed for a boosted D looking to get over 200 hp

i never personally boosted a d16z6
but i have a y7 and a y8

y7 never had it dyno tuned..only street tuned.
on the y8 it was dyno tuned at 198hp 1680tq
tuned on crome... it was a light tune since we wanted to keep it around 200hp to be safe since it was still on stock paper thin rods

and that was on a greddy kit with the 19t
it was all stock except for rc310 inj, arp studs, walboro 255, modified stock oil pump, and a straight 3" exhaust to a greddy muffler.

if its the same as the y series blocks,
i would worry about cooling and oil.

on the dyno, the y8 ran into cooling issues.

get a better oil pump and upgrade your cooling system

arp head studs, vitara/fjt rods, 3bar map sensor, turn up the boost, 450cc injectors - you might get away with 250+

get a good tune and i think you would be satisfied even if you dont hit that 300hp mark
By teal_dx
J-rodSmitty wrote:Really don't have a budget, Plan to buy stuff here and there. Already got into tearing motor apart and gonna send block and head for cleaning and such. But id like to see around 300hp. Never built a motor for boost or any motor. New to this. But I just bought a 94 civic coupe and the guy gave me a spare motor w/trans and turbo kit. It is a ebay turbo kit so I plan to upgrade some of the components of the kit. But not sure about what internals to use. It will be my daily driver so I wanna take my time and do it right!

What size is the turbo?

The z6 doesn't have the oiling issues of the y7/8, so oem oil pump is good. OEM ignition is plenty good for 300 HP, you'll need to run a cooler plug though.
440 injectors, 255 lph fuel pump, 2.5 or 3 bar MAP + a good tune should get you close, depending on the turbo components. And 3" exhaust... so yeah pretty much what iLLson said :thumb: