Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By Kyle_Eh3
#349485 I'm going to be running an eBay turbo on 5lbs with just a basemap, would this be safe regarding I have stock internals and no real tune? I just wanted to know what else I need for the build. So far I have the eBay turbo kit t3/t4. I'm about to order all the gauges and spark plugs. Here is the list I have.

AEM Wideband
Boost Gauge
eBay turbo kit t3/t4 comes with intercooler, turbo, headers, dump pipe, oil catch can, intercooler piping, BOV, and wastegate.

I just want to know what else I'm missing for installation and is it safe with the amount of boost I'm going to run with just a basemap and no dyno tune.

1995 Civic Si Eh3
By HeikDiesel
#349486 Rather than spending money on a wideband and a boost gauge why not put that money towards a tune? No one can give you a definitive answer on if your engine is healthy enough for that. It should be, but who is to know. Also depends on maintenance, driving habits, fuel used, quality of parts, etc. More often than not you'll be fine but honestly put that money towards a tune
By Kyle_Eh3
#349488 I'm going to order a chip from a guy that will make the chip according to my parts and boost level.
By teal_dx
#349491 That's still not a tune. A real tune is putting your car on a dyno (or even a street tune is better than a basemap or pre-programmed chip) and actually dyno tuning your exact car with your motor and your mods under real conditions, and adjust according using the tuning software on your ECU via a computer connected.

A pre-programmed chip is taking a shot in the right direction, and is more accurate than the stock ecu, but still far off from a dyno tune.
By Kyle_Eh3
#349492 What else am I missing for installation? I'm a first timer with turbos.
By jefferydclark
#349523 I'm sure there is a local guy that can street tune your car around your area...dyno tunes are more expensive and it seems as if you would be going the cheapest route you can so a 200-250 dollar street tune is your best option. just be aware that turboing d series usually ends up in 50/50 chance of spinning bearings within the first year of it being done...don't do this if its a daily driver or your only car. not worth it...
By teal_dx
#349525 It has a lot to do with the condition of your motor to begin with. If your motor has 200k mi, consumes oil and hasn't been properly maintained, then putting a turbo kit on it is a horrible idea. Especially if you're going to be driving it harder after you boost it (and you will drive it harder at times)
By TrailerTrash
#351305 which motor are you going with? a Z6 or an F22?

either way i think 400 on a stock motor is completely unrealistic. there is way more to this than just how much boost you need.
By HeikDiesel
#351316 I know a handful of local cars with b-series engines making 400whp on stock internals. Fuel and tune are key. But if you notice this guy isn't the original OP so I feel he should make his own thread.
By TrailerTrash
#351334 i actually didnt even notice it was two separate posters :?