Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By EG Love
#347513 Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here. Finally getting turbo gear together to go turbo. I'm doing this on a budget, trying not to cut corners where it really matters. I'm still learning about this stuff. What do you think of what I have so far? My goal is to hit 300whp on a dynojet. Dyno tuned by local tuner on Neptune rtp, maybe 14psi?

Plan to rebuild my b18b1 with:
OEM valve seals
OEM piston rings (hone cylinders?)
OEM head gasket
OEM timing belt
OEM water pump
New valve cover gasket
ARP head studs
Valve lash adjustment

Considering rebuilding myself or taking it to a knowledgeable guy.
I'll have a spare motor in case mine blows halfway through summer.. I want to rebuild the spare.. The extent of that depending on how much time the current gives me lol..

All parts are used
garret 60-1 journal bearing turbo, .63 ar no shaft play
Afi ramhorn manifold t3, 44mm v band wastegate
integra 2.5" intercooler piping
Precision intercooler 31x9x2.5
Xs bov.. Going to remove and use my greddy type rs bov
I have a 3" downpipe with big dent in it

Act hdss clutch/pp
Going to resurface my gsr flywheel
Aem uego wideband
Oil feed & return lines

Still need:
Wastegate
Walbro fuel pump
Injectors, possibly buying Bosch 1000s
Map sensor
Boost and water temp gauges
Boost controller?
Upgrade to 3" exhaust. Current is 2.36"
oil filter sandwich plate or oil pressure feed
Oil pan bung welded or pan w/ bung

All I can think of off the top of my head right now.. Thoughts? Will be on 91 octane

I'll be getting hasport mounts when I can afford
By teal_dx
#347521 How many miles are on the motor? Have you seen the cyl walls yet? Hone for sure. If they're really worn, I'd bore .020 and hone.

Your list looks good to me. Keep some extra $ aside for misc fittings, lines, hardware... All those little things add up in the end. :thumb:
By EG Love
#347522 I've never had it apart yet. I threw it in 3 summers ago and it hasn't let me down. It does burn oil pretty noticeably so I'd like to freshen it up.. I suppose I'll see how the cylinder walls look. I was told the motor had 140k (kms)when I put it in. So maybe 180k ish now. I thought of changing bearings, or getting acl bearings, but for the hassle of machining rods to fit new bearings and my costs, I thought not touching them might be better?

Thanks for the input!
By teal_dx
#348620 Did you get a look at those cyl walls yet?

You could always drop the oil pan & main girdle to get a look at the bearings, but at that point, you're ready to rebuild the entire bottom end.
By EG Love
#349387 I haven't seen the walls yet, no. I think im just going to replace the valve seals, head gasket, timing belt, and probably water pump. Install my arp head studs, and call it a day.. I have a spare b18b1 that I will either build with internal upgrades or maybe build a gsr by then.. still not sure but that's the route I'm leaning towards. Funds are very limited unfortunately

I'm trading my cracked header and intake for a spare garret turbo with shaft play, oil pan with bung welded in, a turbosmart boost tee controller and a spare 2.5" downpipe that I might use. I'm leaning towards getting an electronic boost controller though

I'll get the head off and a better look at things in the next few weeks. I'm parking the car for the winter sometime this week or next