Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By teal_dx
eg kesone wrote:How is turbo gonna effect my gas milege? does anyone know? better or worse?

You're gonna have to give us a lot of details such as the car, the motor, the turbo setup, the driving style...

For example, I do a lot of highway driving in my car. It's a 92 hatch D16z6, 5 sp, Garret T3. I'm able to stay out of boost as long as I'm under 80 or so mph, just cruising along not giving it much gas. I've gotten 38 MPG before. But then I've also gotten 27 on a tank where I did some ripping around town (and there was still some highway driving, so it could go much lower if I wanted)
If you have a big turbo, you'll have more turbo lag at low RPM and higher RPM before you see boost. Smaller turbos will spool up sooner & have less lag.
I went somewhere in the middle. When your turbo is screaming you're dumping a lot of fuel into the motor, so it has a lot to do with how you drive.

I'm moving this thread to the boost section :thumb:
By Fada Blayne
teal_dx wrote:
eg kesone wrote:How is turbo gonna effect my gas milege? does anyone know? better or worse?

I'm able to stay out of boost as long as I'm under 80 or so mph, just cruising along not giving it much gas. I've gotten 38 MPG before. But then I've also gotten 27 on a tank where I did some ripping around town (and there was still some highway driving, so it could go much lower if I wanted)

:thumb:
By eg kesone
#275032 how much boost can I run on that stock Y7? what is safe and is it okay to boost on long distance driives like over 1700 miles long? or boosting is not recommened? for that type of traveling.
By Fada Blayne
#275054 dude, read wat was posted thoroughly.
I do a lot of highway driving in my car. It's a 92 hatch D16z6, 5 sp, Garret T3. I'm able to stay out of boost as long as I'm under 80 or so mph, just cruising along not giving it much gas

With that being said long distance drives are nothing to be worried about as long as you dont abuse your whip, my boy drove his car from Boston to North Carolina and back for a Circuit Track event in which he participated.

As for a safe boost level I would recommend 7-9psi and nothing more or else you are just asking for trouble.
By chrono404
#275223 A Turbo D Series can get good power. however if you want to make over 200hp RELIABLY then you need Rods/Pistons.

However Turbo powered cars can be just as Reliable as N/A Powered cars WHEN built and tuned properly. If you half ass a Turbo kit on your car or use Cheap parts, then reliability goes down the drain.

For Example I Daily Drive a 2004 Subaru WRX. Its Factory Turbo Charged. I have 0 Problems with this car. I have friends that have Turbo Honda's, Their setups are stupid fast and leave my WRX in the dust, They are also reliable. However to get your honda to this level you have to spend alot of money.

As I tell most people wanting to go Turbo, Look at Tealdx's build thread, Look at blacksilo's bulid thread, look at Juice's build thread. All three have turbo cars, all three are fast, however follow their builds and make sure this is something you want to take on.

To answer your original question, if you stay out of boost you can get similar economy to what you get now. Maybe a bit better as your babying your. If your in boost all the time like Me, then your economy wont be that good.
By eg kesone
#275224 Well I finally made my decision. Going on cheap parts on my turbo setup will be dumb on my behalf, so im gonna go ahead & do a mini swap. I already got an head off a z6 my motors pulled out so Vtec I go. But I am gonna go turbo in the near future but for now thats all I should do. Thanks for all your inputs....I'll keep ya'll posted
By Gold DA9
#275362 Supercharged
on E85 when I drove from PA to Virginia I was averaging about 31mpg.

Turbo
On E85 when I drove from PA to North Carolina I was averaging about 27mpg(car wasnt tuned was running the supercharged map.)

Lack of E85 in NC(gas stations bought out and no longer carrying it.) on a quick tune on 93... was getting 36mpg on the return trip.
By Boods
#276143 I've got a D15b7 with a T3T4 - simply with a Blox FMU.

I'm getting about 20mpg with urban driving about 20 miles a day =\ And that's with about an hour of proper boost a week >.> lol