Post YOUR Hatchback here
By Xaser
#358124 Hey guys, long time no post, just thought I would drag this thread back up form the dead as always.
I still have my original EG just away to turn 11 years of ownership.

I think I will probably spread the latest update over a few posts as it's going to take a while to type it all up.

So I drove the car for about a year in the configuration in the last post, then I had what was probably not the best idea and decided to change things up a bit, which ended up started a build that took about the last 4 years to finish due to one thing or another. Mainly of which was trying to get my PhD whilst building the car, I would not recommend doing that and by that I mean a PhD :lol:

So I kwpt throwing about the idea of building the B but after some research I determined it would probably be a fair bit of cash for not huge gains staying NA that is anyway. So after looking around for a bit I stumbled across this going very cheap

with one of these

so did this

The original plan was just to pull the B, clean and tidy up/paint the engine bay and fit the K20, I did have a big issue with picking a colour and I think at the time it was going to go grey but that choice eventually became moot. So anyway dropped the B and started stripping the engine bay.

Then after much searching it seemed almost impossible to get a manual steering rack for an EG here in the UK, I followed many leads that kept coming up with EF/CRX ones. So decided to hell with it will buy one of the and modified the subframe to work, much thanks to my friend Karl for this.

So then for some reason I can't quite remember I decided to pull of on of a side skirts. To find that the work I had previously gotten done on the arches and sills to be completely rotten out again. I wasn't overly surprised as I wasn't to happy with the work that was done last time. So after a bit of debate it was decided that I would repaint the whole car after fixing the rot again, but this time doing it myself. The colour I ended up picking was Fords Frozen White, as (sacrilege coming here) I'm not a huge fan of championship cream, well really not when people put white wheels with it and you can see how not white it is :lol: Secondly its crazy cheap here as ford paints everything with it included their transit vans etc, So all in to paint the whole car in and out including primer etc came to about £160.

So since the bay was ready to go we tested it out, plus newly painted subframe.

Then had a quick test fit of the new engine and also to give it home whilst I got on with other jobs.

and then it was back on to fixing the rust part 2.

Then we went on to rigging up a make shift paint booth in the shed I was renting with a few friends at the time to work on our cars. (there was a 400hp blobeye scoob that ended up getting sold, 2 Land Rover Defenders 90 and an MGB V8 "Drift car")

Interior primed

and then painted

exterior primed

and then painted

We ended up having to give up the shed for a couple of reasons so this was my car getting loaded up on to a trailer to go into storage for a couple of months until I sorted another place to work on again, I think it ended up being almost 8-9 months before I started work again, due to another project slipping in.

I think this is where I will leave it for this post and try and get the rest put up in the next day or so when I get a chance.

Dave
By Xaser
#358139 So part 2,

So as said in the last post my car ended up in storage for quite a few months, a couple after it went in I was able to sort a reasonably small shed (but has proved to be big enough) at my mums. The one clause with this though was her project skipped ahead of mine.

A little while before I took my car off the road I was able to pick my mum up a car she has wanted for quite some time. After quite a bit of looking around we came across this really quite nice example.
Here is a picture of it not long after we bought it.

Which apart from the not so great lowering springs, very badly kerb rashed wheels (did come with the original wheels though) and a very tacky shifter knob was still very clean and original. So this ended up being my daily for about a year until one day after replacing the trailing arm bushing, I spotted what looked to be a little patch at the end of the sill. Sure enough gave it a little poke with a screw driver and it went straight through, so pulled the side skirt off to find more of the usual Honda rot. This then put the CRX on the back burner a bit and I went out to find myself another daily where I found this beautiful specimen. An MB3 with 73k on the clock, a walnut dash and as sweet as you like, cruised up and down the road great getting 45mpg I struggle to think of a better daily :lol:

It was then on to fixing the CRX below is a picture of the CRX in my new shed discussed early, so you can see how small it is, it actually wasn't to bad for working on the CRX but surprisingly quite a bit more tight with the EG, although I had added a little bench and storage by that time.

So I have even less pictures of the work carried out on the CRX as I'm really crap at remembering to take them and it was also more of a just getting the project done, as it was mainly just welding up the arches and body work.

Here are some pictures of what I found under the quite lovely paint work.

and here is a dodgy repair on the sunroof that was causing moisture to get in the car and making the seat belt quite damp.

frustratingly I don't have the picture of the repair which I was quite proud of. Ended up having to cut out the whole corner and remake it out of metal, looked as good as OE and is working great but for some reason I decided not to take a picture.

So fast forward a little bit all repairs done and shipped of to the paint shop. Whilst it was at the shop I took the chance to tidy up the original wheels, As much as I like slips, the 16's were to big in my opinion and looked really badly abused.

So I took the original wheels that looked like this,
and got them looking like this,

Then it was a case of just getting the car picked up and put back together. They're were lots of other bits that went on that again I don't have pics of. Such as reupholstering the rear and driver seats etc, Anyway this is the car coming home from the paint shop

and then fully completed,

Okay hopefully get back on to my car in the next post, but thought I would include the CRX build as I think it will be appreciated here.

Dave.
By TrailerTrash
#358143 Welcome back :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

awesome update man i love that rex :hehe:
By Xaser
TrailerTrash wrote:Welcome back :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks, it's good to be back.

Yeah it's quite the beauty, really happy to have it in the family collection. Now that my car is back on the road it will be going back in the shed to get some more TLC got a camshaft seal leak to sort and a new radiator to fit.

Hopefully get through the next batch of stuff done to my car tomorrow to get this thread back up to date.

Dave.
By FlopUrDonk
#358146 Nice comeback update. Giving me the motivation to finish the work on my eg.

How much did u pick up the car with the k in it for if u don't mind me asking?i had a wrecked totaled tsx in my back yard for like 4 months unfortunately the engine was toast.

Nice cars man!
By Xaser
#358150 Thanks,

Yeah I don't mind, I'm in the UK though so I don't know how the markets will compare as we have a lot of EP3s.
I picked it up couple years back now but got whole car for £1500 and was £1800 by the time I got it picked up and dropped off with me. At the time just engine and boxes were going for £2000-2500 but I knew this was still a runner so took the gamble.

The car had been crashed into a collapsible lamp post so damage was pretty minimal, but as it did fall on the car so front bumper, hood, roof rear glass and tailgate etc were all smashed. The radiator was smashed as well, thats an old EG one in the picture that I threw on there for testing purposes. As for damage to the engine the only things broken were the throttle position sensor, which was and easy fix and the EVAP purge valve which I have just blanked.

I'm quite glad I got a whole car though as I chopped the wiring loom and made my own custom one which saved a few pennies, I also got the shafts out of it and made hybrids as well. I have then since sold the wheels for £250 and have got a full interior and other odds and sods to go, so looking to get a decent amount of the cash back form all that as well.

Dave
By Xaser
#358151 part 3 and hopefully the last part but I have a feeling that might not be the case.

okay so back on to my car, after getting the CRX all sorted I then got my car in the shed and up on stands and stripped again and got on to cleaning up brake and suspension components.

pulled the engine out to get clean up and give me space to run lines etc.

Then got on to making brake lines

Got a hold of a new tank as the original one was a bit iffy also painted the new one with underseal.

Got the engine cleaned up and given a lick of paint

Also got myself a shot blast cabinet so had fun cleaning up brackets etc.

I had originally cut a hole in the tunnel to mount the shifter underneath like a lot of builds but decided I would prefer it on top for tracking the car. So welded the tunnel back up, painted it and mounted the shifter box on top.

Then put the rear quarter glass in

and the engine back in

I also picked these up from a guy round the corner from me for a good price.

The lacquer on the top edge of the tailgate was badly sun damaged but I didn't really mind as I was going to paint it anyway.
So the next step was to get the car out on to the drive again and turn the shed into a paint booth to paint all the remaining panels, doors, wings, tailgate, hood etc.

primed

and painted

then doors, hood, wing and tailgate fitted

Whilst all this painting was going on it was also time to get on with the "best" job, the wiring. So for some reason I decided rather than buying the conversion looms, I would just do it myself like when I converted my OBD0 loom to OBD2a for the B. It wasn't all to bad though as about 75% or the wiring out of the EP3 loom goes straight to the engine, so you are really just adding power lines and running management lights etc back to the cluster.

Also whilst the car was out in the driveway we had a pretty stormy night which launched a tile from the roof which did this.

So a new windscreen was need :(

I then got my radiator fitted, to find out the mounts I had made were sitting to high for the hood to close :( so had to cut them and make new ones to lower the radiator down.

Got that sorted and threw the dash in so I could hook up the cluster for the first few test runs of the engine in the car.

I then pulled the broken windscreen

and whilst that was out I glued in my sunroof as I had removed the catch tray etc, trying to remove as much weight as I can and drop the cg. Although this first attempt has not been successful so I am in the middle of trying this again.

Put all the stuff back in behind the dash

Then looked into hooking up an intake, I originally planned to keep a more OE style air box on top of the transmission but got frustrated trying to make that work and wanted the car back on the road so went cheap and cheerful.

Got the car out of the shed for a little bit, to turn it round so I could finish some bits up on the rear and make access easier for replacing the windscreen, so a cheaky pic of how it was starting to look.

Some new toys fitted to the rear and the new windscreen fitted

Then got the seats refitted

plus front bumper and some finishing touches.

This definitely feels like I'm breezing over so much, so think I will leave the next post for how the car has finally turned out and to talk about some of the issues I have had with the build. This post makes it feel like it was really easy, but it did take almost 4 years so was far from it. Although a huge part of that the car was in storage, doing the body work and painting really aren't my forte.

Dave.
By FlopUrDonk
#358159 You've built my dream hatch. [smilie=notworthy.gif] Please keep ur rims black. Lol.

Keep it up!
By Xaser
#358160 Thanks Teal, heres to hoping it can stand the test of time better than last time. For being my first time painting a complete car I am very happy with how it's turned out. There are a few mistake here and there but still a millions times better than the last paint job I paid someone to do :lol:
FlopUrDonk wrote:You've built my dream hatch. [smilie=notworthy.gif] Please keep ur rims black. Lol.

Thanks man, yeah its ticking quite a few boxes for myself as well :lol: and yeah the wheels will be staying black, they are requiring a bit of TLC (possibly a respray) but they will be staying black.

Dave.
By Xaser
#358161 So on to the last part.

As of last Friday that is the car completely back on the road, well I say that with in a couple of days it was back in the shed to fix the leaky sunroof and a small leak from the VTEC solenoid gasket, may need to buy a new one.

So to be completely honest throughout the build I did start to get a little dismayed by the k swap, just finding compromises I wasn't too happy about.
Which since driving most are now long gone but one of which was the cable shifter, as I always liked the feel of the b-series shifting but I can say I am pleasantly surprised with the K box even though I had only ever heard good things about it before. I do have a bit of play in the DC5 shifter box but I think once that is sorted it will be pretty perfect.
One other surprise I did have with transmission once driving it was how short the gears actually are, weirdly I had never really looked into the numbers just assumed that 1 to 5 would be similar to the b and 6th would be the cruising gear and drop the revs right down. Since driving I have then looked at the number to find out 6th is actually slightly shorter than 5th in my old B box.

So I think my only biggest complaint with the K swap is the sump clearance, I have done the typical mod to change to the steel sump but that only gives you marginally more. From what I can tell there seems to be only one style of mounts for the EG swap, where as the EK's can get the EKK2 mounts that allow you to raise the engine a little higher but I can find any equivalent for the EG. Even after raising the car up a decent bit I have just over 4" of clearance which still did cause a problem, as for my MOT (technical inspection here) when going onto the brake testing rollers it has to drop down onto them and in the process of doing that it ended up slightly sitting on the sump which was a bit annoying, So I will need to make sure oil pressure is still fine and will look into sorting that at my next oil change.

It has been quite some time since I last drove the car with the B but the K does seem to be a decent step up with the power delivery feeling much more instant and mated with this crazy short box I think its going to be great fun on the track.

Anyway on to last few pics.

Yes, I know my cam/rocker cover needs tidied up its on the list and finally a pic of the shocks I am running which are Racing Logics I have heard good things about them and seem good so far but will keep you updated.

Build Specs
Engine
K20A2
Hondata Kpro
DC Sports Header
Spoon N1 B-Pipe
Spoon N1 Backbox
Homemade Intake

Suspension/Brakes
Racing Logic Coilovers
ITR 5 lug hubs
Gooridge Stainless Steel Braided Hoses
EBC Rear Discs (with Green Stuff Pads)
ITR 98 Spec Front and Rear Brakes
ITR 98 Spec Front and Rear ARBs
ASR Rear Brace
Tegiwa Front Strut Bar
15" Rota Slipstreams (Toyo Proxes TR-1's)
EG6 LCAs

Chassis/Body
Stripped 824KG (1816lbs)
Corbeu Evolution Bucket Seats
Carbon Duckbill Spoiler
Carbon Tailgate
Spoon Replica Wing Mirrors

Dave.
Last edited by Xaser on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Xaser
#358215 Cool, thanks ! :woot:

I had added it to my last post but here it is again, or would you like me to post it in the voting thread?

Build Specs
Engine
K20A2
Hondata Kpro
DC Sports Header
Spoon N1 B-Pipe
Spoon N1 Backbox
Homemade Intake

Suspension/Brakes
Racing Logic Coilovers
ITR 5 lug hubs
Gooridge Stainless Steel Braided Hoses
EBC Rear Discs (with Green Stuff Pads)
ITR 98 Spec Front and Rear Brakes
ITR 98 Spec Front and Rear ARBs
ASR Rear Brace
Tegiwa Front Strut Bar
15" Rota Slipstreams (Toyo Proxes TR-1's)
EG6 LCAs

Chassis/Body
Stripped 824KG (1816lbs)
Corbeu Evolution Bucket Seats
Carbon Duckbill Spoiler
Carbon Tailgate
Spoon Replica Wing Mirrors

Dave.
By Driv-it-hard
#358217 Dave , love the car.
Do you have access to get the discontinued weatherstrip ?
I need a lower gate weatherstrip that no has in the states.
Let me know . Thanks.