Post YOUR Hatchback here
By teal_dx
#139139 Yeah so huge kick in the balls...
I got the new transition coupler installed and was going around the block a few times to make sure nothing else was going to blow off... I let off in 3rd gear at about 4500 rpm and noticed some smoke behind me. Then I heard a metal sound like someone dropping a couple tiny washers. Then I noticed there was a lot more smoke behind me. I noticed I was not making any boost :(
I limped it home and left a smoke trail all the way down the road. I did a compression test to be sure it was not a ring or anything to do with the motor, and cyl 1, 2, and 3 were 160. Then when I was putting the plug back into 3, it did not feel right. I got it out and the tip was crushed. Part of the compression tester had come unthreaded and was stuck inside of the head. WHen I put the plug back in it had tightened it even more! Now I'm pretty screwed... I put thread lock on the plug and put it back in the adaptor from the compression tester and let it sit for a day. That didn't work at all. So I have been trying to turn it a little at a time with a giant flat head, until all the threads were worn down and now the edges above the threads have broken off. So Next I hammered a phillips head socket into the center using a long extension and that's good for a few clicks before it strips out and I have to repeat. Now the center is so stripped out that is not working so well. I have an EZ out but it threaded itself into the hole that was already in the center of the adapter so I took it back out. I need to go to the store and find a bigger one. Even the I don't know if it will work because this adaptor is in there so tight. I'm really trying to avoid tearing the motor apart for this.

And back to the main problem... my turbo is done. Seal must have blown and things then got too hot on the drive home. The metal sound I heard was the fins hitting the housing, mainly on the hot side but barely on the compressor side. The polished compressor housing is still good though. The exhaust housing already had a small crack from before. So I am going to take the exhaust housing from a T3 Super 60 I have that needs rebuilt. I just ordered a new stage 1 turbine wheel, a step up from the stock one I had ran, and a minor rebuild kit. I'm going to use the polished compressor housing from the t3 I had on the car and the compressor wheel from the super 60. Once the parts arrive, I'll assemble and ship it out for balancing.
I never rebuilt a turbo before so this has been a good learning experience. It's easier then I would have thought. Of course I'll make a DIY out of this.
Hopefully this setback will only cost me a few weeks! I'm glad it happened 1/4 mi from my house instead of 1.5 hrs away at the dyno, that's exactly where I was going to drive the car to next too.
By BLaCkSiLo
#139141 holy shit...thought you had the turbo rebuilt ? so it just blew itself apart huh? how long had you drove it?

that sucks shit about the compression plug, you going to have to pull the head? good thing you have some extra turbo parts.....good luck man, sucks ass :thumbdown:
By teal_dx
#139147 I bought it from someone on H-T who said it was fresh factory rebuilt. :eh:
It had maybe 30 mins of idle + a couple hrs of dyno time on it + a couple miles. It had no shaft play when I got it, but smoked @ high RPM.
I'm now 2 for 2 in getting fucked over buying used turbos. Once on ohiohondas and once on honda-tech. That's why I decided to learn how to rebuild them so I can be sure the job is done right :thumb:
I had most of the parts, just had to spend about $150 on a new turbine & minor rebuild kit.
By BLaCkSiLo
teal_dx wrote:I bought it from someone on H-T who said it was fresh factory rebuilt. :eh:
It had maybe 30 mins of idle + a couple hrs of dyno time on it + a couple miles. It had no shaft play when I got it, but smoked @ high RPM.
I'm now 2 for 2 in getting fucked over buying used turbos. Once on ohiohondas and once on honda-tech. That's why I decided to learn how to rebuild them so I can be sure the job is done right :thumb:
I had most of the parts, just had to spend about $150 on a new turbine & minor rebuild kit.

shitty dude....real shitty, i bought a used turbo and it's held up for about a week now and ~15 dyno pulls, it does smoke a little bit up top and on decel as it's coming to an idle...really weird, but i can't see smoke behind me :? were you running an oil restrictor?

the turbo i have has some shaft play too...lets hope she holds :fingerscrossed: it's pretty kickass you had the things to rebuild i would just have to order another chinese turbo and hope for the best, i can't believe the thing grenaded on you .... :thumbdown:
By OmarG
#139212 I just read the thread. Teal's a BAMF dude. The car sounds sick. I think I heard it mash vtec too. mmmm.

If something comes up, I can talk to my buddy who has two turbo's just lying around. They came off of a 3000gt twin turbo set up. The guy bought these bigger turbos, slapped them on, and scattered his motor on the pavement. He tried to sell them to me for 100 bucks a piece.

I hope the turbo situation starts looking up for you man. Your car is a great build inspiration to all of us DIYer's! :thumb:

:edit: I forgot to mention, they are both genuine HKS turbos too. I'm not sure about the actual specs on them, I can look into it if you'd like. (sorry if it seems like I'm trying to pedal you stuff in your build thread, I'm not really trying to.)
By Heatherly
#139215 I hate used turbos, you can't trust anyone these days. Good luck getting everything figured out and back together, sorry to hear that happened. Talk about a bad day.
By EL_FERiO
#140581 Nice bulid!

except for that last part :shock: :x

Side Note: I couldnt find your thread on polishing wheels, can you give me the link please :hehe:
By Greasedmonkey
#140615 That is great news! No motor rebuild needed. Thats a good thing. Get that beast back up and running fast!
By Punksz6
#140643 Man people out there are scamers!! Glad to hear it wasn't as bad! No motor rebuild..Third times a charm! Rebuild it better than ever Teal!! :thumb:
By 92egdxhatch
#140886 hope u get it runnin man, it will be a fast car
By 92EXFrostWhiteEG9
#141144 i wanna see some numbers.... :twisted: